High Ranking Customs Official Physically Abuses Airport Security: Thailand

webfact

If I were a senior customs guy, I'd expect to walk through, wouldn't you?

I blame the security for not recognizing his boss.

I didn't realize customs was responsible for airport security. There is an Airport Security Department which is probably under the AOT.

• Like 1

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That has to be a trolling post surely?

If the Captain and the rest of the flight crew of an aircraft have to go through security then why should the customs official escape? I have a friend who was Captain of an aircraft who was not allowed to board because he had an antique 1930's police whistle on his key ring (it used to belong to his Dad). The fact that if a Pilot wants to do harm on an aircraft there is a very big fire axe behind his seat, or he can in fact just point the aircraft at the ground seems to escape security. So....why not the VIP's and senior staff.?

In fact senior staff are the most likely to be compromised. Imagine the man in the video has had his family taken hostage and told, take this on the aircraft or we shoot your family one by one. In this case...job done! In London I am absolutely sure the guy would have been arrested and would now be out of a job..100%

• Like 2

NO! As a former airport/airline employee I was offered a walk through. I declined and reported the employee who was later terminated.

Now going to the other extreme that is just sheer bloody mindedness. I have been in a similar position and all you had to do was talk with the person privately for a few moments saying that as airport staff you appreciate the work they do and none of you expect or want preferential treatment, it makes you feel uneasy, as security is everyone's responsibility. result a happier still polite security staff who has a little synergy with some other member of airport staff. Well done, a disciplinary sacking meaning the next job almost impossible to get. I imagine his family suffered for a long time, all because of you. Do you clock that up as one of life's major achievements?

• Like 2

If I was a senior I would expect my subordinates to carry out thier job to the highest standard and that means no excemptions to anyone boarding a plane. I don't care if it was the queen of england boarding this flight she should be subject to the same checks.

Edited by softgeorge
  • Like 1

Not only should the boy be promoted, the passenger should have been instantly arrested and thrown in jail awaiting formal charges and trial. Of course I didn't hear the spoken words, so something could have been out of the ordinary, but doubtful. Hey, let him try to get away with drunk driving in California by bashing a police officer, he'd be in prison for a few years! This reminds me of Detroit mob leaders 100 years ago.

And "WHY" didn't other security personel jump in and detain this man. If this happened at any US or European airport I guarentee that you'd be in deep crap if you did the same thing. Think about the non reaction from security.

I feel so sorry for that boy who was just doing his job. Even after being repeatedly humiliated, he's still bowing and bowing away to that a@@hole. After that, he went straight to do the scan on another passenger as if nothing had happened. Very professional. He should be promoted!

Totally agree. ThaI Visa should start a fund for the guy and see how much money we can raise.

Charge him with assault.

On the other hand, I have a feeling a lot of PAX wish they could do the same, especially at some North American airports.

Spot on GK. I went back to the US two months ago. They found a zippo lighter in my checked luggage given to me by a comrad when I was in Afghanistan. I was treated like a criminal. I had to go through interrogation by some guy with an IQ equalling room temperature in C. Consequently I missed my connecting flight,

Here's a question for you... If there's a rule (no lighters), then who is person with the low IQ?

Is the screener supposed to say, "Oh... your comrade in Afghanistan gave this to you? Then no problem!"

Or is he supposed to think to himself, the rules are what they are, and the travelers should follow them, and I get paid to make sure they follow them. (You know… just in case next time when your sister/daughter/wife are on the plane which has “an incident” and you scream bloody murder and blame the screening company for letting some guy get on with a small, sentimental lighter?)

Or does the screener think to himself: Hey, this guy is carrying a lighter on him that clearly carries a priceless degree of sentimental value… and he KNOWS that lighters are prohibited. Poor guy… gonna lose his lighter (*sniffle*)

Charge him with assault.

On the other hand, I have a feeling a lot of PAX wish they could do the same, especially at some North American airports.

Spot on GK. I went back to the US two months ago. They found a zippo lighter in my checked luggage given to me by a comrad when I was in Afghanistan. I was treated like a criminal. I had to go through interrogation by some guy with an IQ equalling room temperature in C. Consequently I missed my connecting flight,

Here's a question for you... If there's a rule (no lighters), then who is person with the low IQ?

Is the screener supposed to say, "Oh... your comrade in Afghanistan gave this to you? Then no problem!"

Or is he supposed to think to himself, the rules are what they are, and the travelers should follow them, and I get paid to make sure they follow them. (You know… just in case next time when your sister/daughter/wife are on the plane which has “an incident” and you scream bloody murder and blame the screening company for letting some guy get on with a small, sentimental lighter?)

Or does the screener think to himself: Hey, this guy is carrying a lighter on him that clearly carries a priceless degree of sentimental value… and he KNOWS that lighters are prohibited. Poor guy… gonna lose his lighter (*sniffle*)

+1

It starts getting good when the "VIPs" start having a pissing contest among themselves. It's getting to the point that there are so many self-important connected people that they will eventually start cannibalizing each other to the amusement of the little man.

Well, that should boost tourism - the thought that people can get through security checks, possibly carrying a bomb, just by boxing the ears of security staff, should make grown men shudder. I have often seen areas where Thai air security should be tightened, but this caps the lot.

Charge him with assault.

My dear friend. Thanks for your detailed chiding of me in my recent issue with US TSA. In hasty reading my post you must have overlooked the zippo was in the "checked baggage". It was not in carry on. To be fair I will not address your IQ. I will give you the benifit of the doubt jap.gif .

It is perfectly admissable to carry a zippo in checked baggage as I have done since 1994 worldwide including multiple trips back to the US.

Your emotional composition is quite good. Maybe you should consider writing novels.

Anyhow I will overlook your personal attacks. Have a beer and a nice day.

• Like 1

Not all clear what happened just before the assault. Maybe the security guy hit him in the nuts with his wand? That's the first and last thing he does before the slapping starts. The customs guy was probably not on duty because there are special entries and exits for airport staff, and if you're on official business then you will not get checked if you're wearing the proper tags and ID.

Probably just an prick who needs his privileged ass tasered.

• Like 1

Senior official transferred following assault caught on YouTube

The Nation

30173539-01_big.jpg

The Customs Department on Wednesday transferred back to headquarters a senior official based at Suvarnabhumi Airport who allegedly assaulted an airport security officer while refusing to be patted down.

Director General Somchai Poonsawat said the C-7 official, who was identified only as Sombat, will face an investigation into the incident, which occurred on January at in the airport. The investigation will take about 30 days.

Footage from a surveillance camera of the alleged assault, which has appeared on YouTube, shows the official walking through a security check. However, he refuses to be patted down after a security alarm beeps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN0an4lZ9bk

In the footage, the official is showing whacking the officer's ears with both hands. The official then points to his badge and the junior officer bows apologetically.

The video was posted on YouTube on Monday and by Tuesday it had attracted many thousands of angry comments.

Somchai said the official in trouble was a chief of passenger services at the airport responsible for crackdowns on contraband and narcotics.

After the incident, the junior officer saw a doctor, who diagnosed injuries to the eardrum. He also filed a complaint with the police.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-11

why does it take 30 days to investigate?

Because silly in 30 days all will be forgetten and the case closed. just leave it at the bottom of the intray untill everyone forgets.

Edited by softgeorge

A simple cctv video does not show the full background story or what was said. While I can't defend the Customs official, I have seen these airport security themselves behave aggressive and threatening to other people just the same way - in my case to a taxi driver, who then sped off and almost hit me while carrying my baby daughter in front of the airport. These airport security are simply bad and stupid and I'm not surprised someone has finally stood up to them,.

Doesn't sound like you really know what you're talking about! A taxi driver nearly hit you out front of the airport so its airport security's fault and they need someone to stand up to them??!!??%?? Pretty much a bit of aimless grudge-bearing, then!.. You didn't sort out the offending taxi driver, so knock-on effect comes down to some jumped up old boy who doesn't want to be subjected to standard security checks by staff there to do just that job is ok because you don't like them anymore either!.. no a CCTV doesn't tell the whole story but it's clear the guy thinks he shouldn't be checked like everyone else!!! My job and and I'd march him, by the collar, out to airport police!!! (though of course that might not do it in Thailand, 'senior' officials and all that!!)...

• Like 2