High Ranking Customs Official Physically Abuses Airport Security: Thailand

webfact

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were in America and many other countries, the "VIP" guy might well be arrested, or even shot.

Yes we do still have the death penalty in the States, but I've never heard of anyone being shot for boxing someone's ears.

Not for the common assault, but for trying to evade a security scan. Try that in London, Sydney, Berlin, LA, etc., and see what happens. Even a box on the ears could be construed as a threat.

A simple cctv video does not show the full background story or what was said. While I can't defend the Customs official, I have seen these airport security themselves behave aggressive and threatening to other people just the same way - in my case to a taxi driver, who then sped off and almost hit me while carrying my baby daughter in front of the airport. These airport security are simply bad and stupid and I'm not surprised someone has finally stood up to them,.

Doesn't sound like you really know what you're talking about! A taxi driver nearly hit you out front of the airport so its airport security's fault and they need someone to stand up to them??!!??%?? Pretty much a bit of aimless grudge-bearing, then!.. You didn't sort out the offending taxi driver, so knock-on effect comes down to some jumped up old boy who doesn't want to be subjected to standard security checks by staff there to do just that job is ok because you don't like them anymore either!.. no a CCTV doesn't tell the whole story but it's clear the guy thinks he shouldn't be checked like everyone else!!! My job and and I'd march him, by the collar, out to airport police!!! (though of course that might not do it in Thailand, 'senior' officials and all that!!)...

True but you could always handcuff and drag him out the long way by the feet past all the little people. It would take years to staple his face back on.

The girl who fixes my breakfast every morning also works airport security here in Chiang Mai on the night shift. She was on the xray a week or so ago and spotted a gun in a guys carry-on, it was one of those gun loving farangs. She called over the supervisor and they questioned the guy he had all of his paper work instead of confiscateing the gun they came up with a piece of luggage so the guy could check it.They where wondering did he carry it on when he had flown from Bangkok and how did they miss it.

Her boss gave her a thousand baht as a bonus a few days ago.

I am so glad that the Thai Media picks up this story and believe me no one can behave as such in America. It is a National Security issue..everyone has to obey the rule. If someone posts this video on Youtube it will be more outrage around the world. This is a New World of Social Media and no one gets away with anything. My take and opinion.

Not for the common assault, but for trying to evade a security scan. Try that in London, Sydney, Berlin, LA, etc., and see what happens. Even a box on the ears could be construed as a threat.

I agree ! Thailand is a backward third world country, if it was well organised, not corrupt and there was no impunity for men like this, we probably wouldn't be able to afford to live here. It is terrible , put yourself in the security guard's shoes, but very very typical of Thailand !

Edited by parmo1

The girl who fixes my breakfast every morning also works airport security here in Chiang Mai on the night shift. She was on the xray a week or so ago and spotted a gun in a guys carry-on, it was one of those gun loving farangs. She called over the supervisor and they questioned the guy he had all of his paper work instead of confiscateing the gun they came up with a piece of luggage so the guy could check it.They where wondering did he carry it on when he had flown from Bangkok and how did they miss it.

Her boss gave her a thousand baht as a bonus a few days ago.

Oh yea she is a little cutie, I go threw there every 4 weeks. You sure she just make you breakfast, was think of making a move. Oh sorry guys off topic what were we talking about?

Of course Americans think that this does not happen in their country, and that protestors have freedom to protest there, but governments and government officials are basically the same the world over. Power corrupts and makes people behave immorally.

In USA high ranking officials democratically voted themselves power to bypass airline security :-

http://www.msnbc.msn...rport-security/

Edited by parmo1
  • Like 1

Of course Americans think that this does not happen in their country, and that protestors have freedom to protest there, but governments and government officials are basically the same the world over. Power corrupts and makes people behave immorally.

In USA high ranking officials democratically voted themselves power to bypass airline security :-

http://www.msnbc.msn...rport-security/

You are correct. In the US prior arrangements are made for certain government officials to bypass the screening process unlike Thailand where as we see in this Youtube clip if someone questions a so called VIP they get their ears boxed.

Edited by pimay11

''Director General Somchai Poonsawat said the C-7 official, who was identified only as Sombat, will face an investigation into the incident, which occurred on January at in the airport.''

Are you sure that pompous official name is Sombat......not Combat?

Charge him with assault.

On the other hand, I have a feeling a lot of PAX wish they could do the same, especially at some North American airports.

Spot on GK. I went back to the US two months ago. They found a zippo lighter in my checked luggage given to me by a comrad when I was in Afghanistan. I was treated like a criminal. I had to go through interrogation by some guy with an IQ equalling room temperature in C. Consequently I missed my connecting flight,

Here's a question for you... If there's a rule (no lighters), then who is person with the low IQ?

Is the screener supposed to say, "Oh... your comrade in Afghanistan gave this to you? Then no problem!"

Or is he supposed to think to himself, the rules are what they are, and the travelers should follow them, and I get paid to make sure they follow them. (You know… just in case next time when your sister/daughter/wife are on the plane which has “an incident” and you scream bloody murder and blame the screening company for letting some guy get on with a small, sentimental lighter?)

Or does the screener think to himself: Hey, this guy is carrying a lighter on him that clearly carries a priceless degree of sentimental value… and he KNOWS that lighters are prohibited. Poor guy… gonna lose his lighter (*sniffle*)

+1

+2

A simple cctv video does not show the full background story or what was said. While I can't defend the Customs official, I have seen these airport security themselves behave aggressive and threatening to other people just the same way - in my case to a taxi driver, who then sped off and almost hit me while carrying my baby daughter in front of the airport. These airport security are simply bad and stupid and I'm not surprised someone has finally stood up to them,.

Your comments are completely wide of the mark on this case. To: "full background story or what was said" ..utter nonsense. Enough is said and very clearly by the body language of both parties. You are just looking for an opportunity to mouth off about an irrelevant and totally unrelated case. Come on ... ! Why are you here? (Don't bother answering) There will be other times to tell your story. This isn't one of them.

The young security guy was doing his job well, and can in no way be compared with some of the authoritarian jerks at UK airports.

Police summon C7 custom official for assaulting airport staff

Police Wednesday issued a summons for a C7 customs official at the centre of a widely circulated video clip showing him in the act of assaulting an airport securitycheck officer while refusing to be patted down.

Suvarnabhumi Airport superintendent Colonel Nattanan Nanasombat said Sombat Chatchaiyawit, 55, had seven days to respond to the summons.

"If he does not report to police, we will issue an arrest warrant," Nattanan said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-11

Is there any way of following up on this case? I would like to know that the young guy has not been subjected to bullying or whatever. The shitbag senior official seriously needs to be brought to task. He needs to make a public apology, to everyone concerned, including the public, the security department and to the staff of the day, and especially to the young man doing his job.

Had I been the security supervisor that day, I'd arrest the old fart, cuff him in front of everyone, and haul him off for a strip search. ... if for no other reason than to show the public that we mean business, and in the interests of public safety, abuse of staff is not tolerated.

Police Wednesday issued a summons for a C7 customs official at the centre of a widely circulated video clip showing him in the act of assaulting an airport securitycheck officer while refusing to be patted down.

Suvarnabhumi Airport superintendent Colonel Nattanan Nanasombat said Sombat Chatchaiyawit, 55, had seven days to respond to the summons.

"If he does not report to police, we will issue an arrest warrant," Nattanan said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-11

Excellent ! .. and I hope we get to hear the outcome. Thanks for the update ;-)

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-11

just go and get him.

The airport security checks here are nothing compared to what the TSA in the US put you through. Ron Paul says if he is elected President, he's doing away with the TSA and making the airlines hire their own security. I like it. Not only does it save the taxpayers millions and millions of dollars, if you don't like the way security treats you at one airlines, switch to another.

Hi-so s in Thailand have absolutely no humility. The way that that they treat other people makes me sick! I have seen them verbally abuse very very decent Thai people for things that were insignificant. I have also seen them pick over their food etc and send meals back when, I would suggest, there was nothing wrong with their meals. It is like they have to 'prove' their Hi-so-ness! I have even seen them in other Asian countries carrying on with their airs and graces. ( 'Airs and graces' = False ways of behaving that are intended to make other people feel that you are important and belong to a high social class). Sickening!

This is so true. As anyone who has lived here long enough knows, the rules in life are only for the little people. I am glad there is a serious resolution to this airport issue, but in general in this country there is no respect for laws or rules, which are designed to make life easier for everyone. The feudal system lives on.

I have worked at security check points in Sydney. This guy was not checked correctly. Fed police would have been called and which ever plane he was travelling on would not have been allowed to leave the air bridge. I remember once when a Korean Passenger was being checked and the Korean ailines manager pulled the passenger away from security before completion of the check and rushed him onto the plane. Canberra was informed of what happened and eventhough the plane was 3 hours flying time out of Sydney the decision was made to order the pilot of the plane to turn around and return to Sydney. This means flying time of 6 hours before plane got back and all passengers and their bags had to be purt through security check again. The airport Management canceled the Korean Managers authority to work at the airport on the spot and he returned to Korea a few days later and a new manager was apointed.

Here's a question for you... If there's a rule (no lighters), then who is person with the low IQ?

Is the screener supposed to say, "Oh... your comrade in Afghanistan gave this to you? Then no problem!"

Or is he supposed to think to himself, the rules are what they are, and the travelers should follow them, and I get paid to make sure they follow them. (You know… just in case next time when your sister/daughter/wife are on the plane which has “an incident” and you scream bloody murder and blame the screening company for letting some guy get on with a small, sentimental lighter?)

Or does the screener think to himself: Hey, this guy is carrying a lighter on him that clearly carries a priceless degree of sentimental value… and he KNOWS that lighters are prohibited. Poor guy… gonna lose his lighter (*sniffle*)

Read post #49 for clarification.

If I were a senior customs guy, I'd expect to walk through, wouldn't you?

I blame the security for not recognizing his boss.

If I was a senior I would expect my subordinates to carry out thier job to the highest standard and that means no excemptions to anyone boarding a plane. I don't care if it was the queen of england boarding this flight she should be subject to the same checks.

Does that include all queens?giggle.gif

If I were a senior customs guy, I'd expect to walk through, wouldn't you?

I blame the security for not recognizing his boss.

If I was a senior I would expect my subordinates to carry out thier job to the highest standard and that means no excemptions to anyone boarding a plane. I don't care if it was the queen of england boarding this flight she should be subject to the same checks.

It's called respect..and this a..e hole has none..Yes it's the HI-So mentality for sure but like in the past that would have been that...as now this video clip of the incident has gone world viral exposing this pigs lack of respect and behaviour!By the looks of his age he obviously has high rank seniority so can't see him being sacked..just the normal 'extended leave' crap and internal discipline..just the same as high ranking public servants the world over...there're be an enquirey leading to absolutely nothing!!