Doctor Claims MPs, Officials Plan To Sink Health Scheme: Thailand

webfact

Doctor claims MPs, officials plan to sink health scheme

The Nation

Some politicians are trying to abort the universal healthcare scheme - with the help of Public Health Ministry officials - because the lawmakers want to get kickbacks from pharmaceutical firms and officials want to regain their former role and power, Rural Doctors Foundation chairman Dr Kriangsak Watcharanukoolkiat alleged yesterday.

He said both groups are aware of the growing checks mechanisms of the public sector and consumers, which are complicating their long-standing "joint business" through corruption, he said. "They are now scheming to amend laws and regulations relating to the gold-card scheme and the National Health Security Office that regulates the operations," he said.

"I can confirm that such efforts really do exist, and are underway as we speak," Kriangsak said.

Political figures are now gradually appointing doctors and Pheu Thai Party millionaire supporters to serve on the NHSO board of directors. "This effort is aimed at assigning their people to serve later in its subpanels, including the one on fiscal policy," he said.

Kriangsak said the next step would be to replace the NHSO secretary-general with one selected by political authorities, who would alter the organisational structure to slow down reforms and lessen the power of internal check mechanisms.

Kriangsak was responding to claims about efforts to undermine and eventually deactivate the universal healthcare scheme. He said there would be drastic changes to replace the current government subsidy with per-head contributions from beneficiaries - a similar system used in the employee welfare Social Security Office operation which faces collapse when its funds run out.

Kriangsak said the final step would be to build up social opposition to the universal healthcare scheme and NHSO operations, by encouraging the public to turn to a new NHSO operation under a per-head monthly contribution system.

Kriangsak called on Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to look into the matter and intervene.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-12

When I was elected to serve as an MP I was elected to serve the people of Thailand. Since arriving in Bangkok I have found that I have a ticket for gravy train, it is difficult for me not to get on that train even though I love Thailand, I found after my arrival that I love me more.

PTP abandoning 30 baht scheme? One of their biggest PR victories with the Thai people - never gonna happen.

O first though I agree.

But they already cancelled the free scheme and reverted back to all concerned paying 30BAht and through spin convinced the poor that paying 30Baht was better, regardless of the fact that that administering the 30Baht payments costs more than the income it generates.

Don't put it past the pt spinners to create some clever talk which convinces the poor and unaware that cancelling the whole thing is good.

• Like 1

I would simply like to echo Pheu Thai supporters sentiments - it is just so refreshing to have a populist democratic government functioning in Thailand. Elected by the people for the people, what can be better than that!!!! clap2.gif.

I would simply like to echo Pheu Thai supporters sentiments - it is just so refreshing to have a populist democratic government functioning in Thailand. Elected by the people for the people, what can be better than that!!!! clap2.gif.

A real, actually well functioning, democratic government not run by a massively corrupt megalomaniac cult of personality puppet-master perhaps?
  • Like 2

A real, actually well functioning, democratic government not run by a massively corrupt megalomaniac cult of personality puppet-master perhaps?

"actually well functioning"

I wouldn't buy a second hand car from you!!!! Ha Ha HA!!!!jap.gif.

Did you not get my meaning? I agree, I am a poor salesman as I tend to tell the truth.

Did you not get my meaning? I agree, I am a poor salesman as I tend to tell the truth.

Yes!!! and I was joking big time!! This government is about as clueless as can be and their abject performance is verging on the criminal - they are nothing but corrupt and thieving bar stewards of the highest order (the whole lot of them) and "the natives are revolting" big time, or maybe you haven't noticed yet.

• Like 1

"the natives are revolting" big time, or maybe you haven't noticed yet.

As in George Orwells "Animal Farm" it took the Farm Animals sometime for them to realise the Pigs had taken over the Farm,and were much worse than the Humans. But in the end they noticed their error....too late.

PT, 6 months in Power and the cracks are appearing,reality will dawn in time,let's hope it's not too late for the people.

Wasn't the health care scheme a major winning point for Puea Thai? The fact that every Thai rich or poor would be provided health care, as was in the previous Thaksin government era. The only problem being is that now due to flooding and the worldwide financial crisis this may not be feasable. As the nations budget decreases so will the patience of the people weaken. During the recessive period in the U.S was it not Obama who helped lift the peoples spirits and so bring them back from the brink. Is this not the case in Thailand that during this time of recovery from the great floods are not people looking for someone like Thaksin to bring back the good old days of unity and prosperity. Popular he is and returning he will, like it or not. The positive ramifications far out way the negative ones. The majority of Thais want there old PM back and THAT DAY WILL COME.

Hopefully special interests and corruption are not going to be allowed to turn back the clock on the progress Thailand has struggled to make in equitable health care. Universal health care along with universal education are 2 keys for the well-being of any society.

Does anyone have other references to this story or more information?

While not directly related to this problem, here is a link to an article on rural health care development in Thailand. It is a little bit dated (2003) , but since it also gives a nice historical perspective and good information up to that date, others might still find it interesting.

http://www.human-resources-health.com/content/1/1/12

Wasn't the health care scheme a major winning point for Puea Thai? The fact that every Thai rich or poor would be provided health care, as was in the previous Thaksin government era. The only problem being is that now due to flooding and the worldwide financial crisis this may not be feasable. As the nations budget decreases so will the patience of the people weaken. During the recessive period in the U.S was it not Obama who helped lift the peoples spirits and so bring them back from the brink. Is this not the case in Thailand that during this time of recovery from the great floods are not people looking for someone like Thaksin to bring back the good old days of unity and prosperity. Popular he is and returning he will, like it or not. The positive ramifications far out way the negative ones. The majority of Thais want there old PM back and THAT DAY WILL COME.

Please don't compare Thaksin to Obama. Way out of bounds!

Why can I not compare Thaksin to Obama? Both are popular, both want change, both seek a democratic elected government, both support universal healthcare, both seek support from their opposition parties in resolving national interests, both grew up from poor lower class families and both understand equal rights for women, especially in politics. Welcome to the new generation.

Why can I not compare Thaksin to Obama? Both are popular, both want change, both seek a democratic elected government, both support universal healthcare, both seek support from their opposition parties in resolving national interests, both grew up from poor lower class families and both understand equal rights for women, especially in politics. Welcome to the new generation.

The biggest laugh I have had for a long time, since the comedians were on British t.v. donkey's years ago, hey tukky are you for real hahaha. I respect your bent opinion, he doesn't want anything more than money, and his platform on the world stage. Tis an ego trip he's on all the time-his total survival is publicity.

• Like 1

Hopefully special interests and corruption are not going to be allowed to turn back the clock on the progress Thailand has struggled to make in equitable health care. Universal health care along with universal education are 2 keys for the well-being of any society.

While not directly related to this problem, here is a link to an article on rural health care development in Thailand. It is a little bit dated (2003) , but since it also gives a nice historical perspective and good information up to that date, others might still find it interesting.

http://www.human-res.../content/1/1/12

I struggle to understand your sympathies. Universal healthcare was a Chuan Leekpai invention (though he understood there were no revenues to pay for it at the time) , and universal education was an Abhisiit Vejajiva invention.

I try never to insult anyone's intelligence, but you may have noticed that not a single one of PTP's promises has come to fruition, save for lower taxes for corporations. My father tought me to never pay any attention to what people SAY, but rather, pay attention to what people DO. Maybe your father never did.

• Like 1

Oh dude, that made me want to puke. You really need to wipe the white stuff off your mouth and face.

You are so wrong.

Thaksin said 2003-12-09. Democracy is not my goal.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/4293-thaksin-democracy-is-not-my-goal/

I read some absolute bull crap on this site, but this takes the cake for the biggest lump of bull crap I have ever read

"both seek a democratic elected government".

Anybody thinking that Thaksin seeks a democratically elected government should be checking in for a full brain scan immediately.

I struggle to understand your sympathies. Universal healthcare was a Chuan Leekpai invention (though he understood there were no revenues to pay for it at the time) , and universal education was an Abhisiit Vejajiva invention.

I try never to insult anyone's intelligence, but you may have noticed that not a single one of PTP's promises has come to fruition, save for lower taxes for corporations. My father tought me to never pay any attention to what people SAY, but rather, pay attention to what people DO. Maybe your father never did.

lanna, whatever. I struggle to understand your reply. I'm not talking about PTP promises, or who invented what.

Thailand has a problem already with the distribution of competent doctors. The universal coverage in Thailand is a good thing and should be continued and improved in my opinion.

As for universal education, IMO that does not yet exist in Thailand. It is a huge gaping hole in the Thai society. I mentioned them together above, not because this thread is about education, but only because I feel that the right to health care and the right to education are fundamental in providing for the welfare of a society and they go hand in hand.

If what Kriangsak is saying is true, then there is a big problem in the making. Assuming that it is, then I think it is great that he is calling the people out on it.

Edit / PS : most people are full of shit at least once a day. Unlike others, I take care of that problem before posting. B)

Edited by tlansford

"...both grew up from poor lower class families..." What a crock! You should be ashamed to post such blatant lies.

" Thaksin's father, Lert, was born in Chiang Mai in 1919 and married Yindi Ramingwong (a daughter of Princess Jantip Na Chiang Mai)........ and opened two movie theatres, a gas station, and a car and motorcycle dealership. By the time Thaksin was born, the Shinawatra family was one of the richest and most influential families in Chiang Mai." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thaksin_Shinawatra

lanna, whatever. I struggle to understand your reply. I'm not talking about PTP promises, or who invented what.

Thailand has a problem already with the distribution of competent doctors. The universal coverage in Thailand is a good thing and should be continued and improved in my opinion.

As for universal education, IMO that does not yet exist in Thailand. It is a huge gaping hole in the Thai society. I mentioned them together above, not because this thread is about education, but only because I feel that the right to health care and the right to education are fundamental in providing for the welfare of a society and they go hand in hand.

If what Kriangsak is saying is true, then there is a big problem in the making. Assuming that it is, then I think it is great that he is calling the people out on it.

Edit / PS : most people are full of shit at least once a day. Unlike others, I take care of that problem before posting. cool.png

"....... the right to education are fundamental in providing for the welfare of a society......."

It's a pity that you don't see the need to criticize the PTP policy of using the funding for subsidized texts and school clothing to pay for tablets. The Democrat scheme was aimed at the lowest rungs in society.

Edit / PS : most people are full of shit at least once a day. Unlike others, I take care of that problem before posting. cool.png

"....... the right to education are fundamental in providing for the welfare of a society......."

It's a pity that you don't see the need to criticize the PTP policy of using the funding for subsidized texts and school clothing to pay for tablets. The Democrat scheme was aimed at the lowest rungs in society.

well, the OP is about the health care system, but as for your post, I would say that the Tablet issue tends to come up on TVF and treated as an independent topic. As an initiative, it has some value IMO. That does not mean that the planning & execution of the program will be great, and it is not to say that I feel the basics should be ignored. Again, IMO, the Thais have a lot of work to do wrt the education system, but from what I understand, the Thais know that already.

As for the health care system - corporate money and special interests can wreck a lot of things. "money & greed" don't care about people. As people have pointed out here, the PTP runs on a populist platform, and surely they should defend & improve a universal system. I would hope that all parties would try to do that.

well, the OP is about the health care system, but as for your post, I would say that the Tablet issue tends to come up on TVF and treated as an independent topic. As an initiative, it has some value IMO. That does not mean that the planning & execution of the program will be great, and it is not to say that I feel the basics should be ignored. Again, IMO, the Thais have a lot of work to do wrt the education system, but from what I understand, the Thais know that already.

snip

I was not asking you to discuss the merits of tablets. I was asking your position on the removal of funding for the school text/clothing subsidies which is a simple method of allowing Thailand's poorest citizens to prolong their education. You did claim your belief that "....and the right to education are fundamental in providing for the welfare of a society....."

Edited to attribute quote to correct post

Edited by OzMick