Fiance Visa, Marriage In The Us And Pre-Nup

Ndeep

I know that when you get married in Thailand the pre-nup needs to be recorded at the time of the marriage.

If I marry my Thai fiance in the US (on a K1 Fiance Visa), can I have the pre-nup papers sent to be recorded with my marriage paperwork for Thailand records? I'm referring to Thai pre-nup papers as I don't think I'm going to do a pre-nup for the US.

Thanks

You make a prenup in the country, and in case of the US in the state as it is governt by state law, you marry in.

If you marry in the US, your pre-nup will be according to US law. In Thaland you just record your marriage in the US, I'm not sure if you also enter your pre-nup at that time as I never have seen this question before.

It is ver, very, very difficult to get a prenup registered in Thailand after you marry. You must do that at the time you marry. If you do it at a later time, you need court approval and the judge will want to make sure that there are no people you own money that might be disadvantaged by making a pre-nup.

Mario,

Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps this is a better way to phrase the question:

If I get married in the US, how will the marriage be recorded in Thailand?

I just need to make sure the Thai pre-nup gets recorded at the time the marriage is made official in Thailand (at least that's what I've researched). If I'm responsible for doing that, then no problem, but if that is something the US government (Embassy, Consulate, whatever) sends over, I need to make sure the pre-nup gets in with those documents.

I'm guessing/hoping there has to be somone in the forum who has gotten married in another country yet filed a pre-nup in Thailand? who can answer this question.

Thanks

If you marry in the US, you can register the marriage in Thailand itself or through the Thai emabssy. They will make a record of the fact that you two were marreid in the US, and with that the Thai goverment is aware of the US marriage and has it in its registeres. You/your wife will have to do it, it i not something the US goverment does.

You would not marry again, so you cannot enter a Thai pre-nup. At the most your US-made pre-nup will be recorded. But how to go about that is better asked at the Thai embassy/general consulate. I'm not sure if they will record the US-prenup also or only the marriage.