How Do Get Accident Report

max005

Hello, about a few month ago i had a motorbike crash in Chiangmai. I was picked up by an ambulance and transfered to the Sarapee hospital.

Now that im back in Canada i found out that i can get compensation for the injury i sustained. All i need is the police report from the accident that i didnt keep with me when returning back home. The police station that handled my case was very close to sarapee hospital so im guessing its called sarapee police station, its a station with a little cofee bar on the left.

I would like them to fax me the report but i know for sure they dont speak english in there soo calling them would be pointless. Should i call the tourist police or the embassy ? Is there a way i can e-mail them ?

Basically all i need is a copy of a report they have in their possession.

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sorry about the accident - hope you have recovered

Im sure the BIB would happily fax it to you. They like helping out farangs in need.

Wow you're helpful.

OP/Max005: Please PM me you're full name and passport number, then I'll go there and see if I can get it.

Separate question: did you approach your insurer with the question if this is really essential? It would seem to me that the hospital bills are more important than the police report, or does it really matter how you sustained your injury? And do they realize that a lot of it (if not all of it) will be in Thai?

OP/Max005: Please PM me you're full name and passport number, then I'll go there and see if I can get it.

Alright ill send u a Pm, Thank u very much for helping a total stranger !

Separate question: did you approach your insurer with the question if this is really essential? It would seem to me that the hospital bills are more important than the police report, or does it really matter how you sustained your injury?

Its not my insurer, here in Canada(Quebec) we have something called SAAQ, it is a government agency that provide basic insurance against injury sustained on the road and its valid everywhere on the planet, you just have to prove the accident happened. My hospital bill were kinda cheap so i dont really care about that, i will get money for my broken clavicle and some loss of sensitivity in my arm. Im scheduled for a surgeries next month and my doctor told me about this insurance thing.

And do they realize that a lot of it (if not all of it) will be in Thai?

Yeah i realize that and on the SAAQ site it doesn't mention any specific language for the police report. they will translate it themselves if they need to.

Thanks again for helping me on this

Update:

It's indeed very easy to get a copy of a police report. If they can find it. They were very friendly and helpful though. I was once again reminded that large parts of Thailand are still stuck in the 1950's in many ways: information is kept in a big notebook (the paper kind) with hand-written reports on pages organized by date; there is no way to search other than by date and then flip through the pages.

And of course these records are kept per police station; I got a feeling it could also be the bigger police station near 89 Plaza (there are coffee shops there as mentioned in the OP).

I only have a date estimate, but it may be possible to pin down the date further by checking the admission records at Sarapee hospital. (This also doesn't strike me as an institution that would rival Google when it comes to information management, but who knows.)

I'll give another shot soon.

Yeah it amazed me when i was there how much government stuff is not computerized and old. But private hospital and bank look exactly like they do in the west !

I also sent you another Pm with more info that was hidden in my brain, hope that help

Thanks wai.gif