1 Year Non Imm Visa

I want to get a new 1 year non immigrant visa but my UK Passport expires in 6 Months and I have to get a new passport. My Wife is Thai. Has anyone experience of this situation? Would I have to go back to the Thai Consulate after the change of UK Passport and get an endorsement?

Thanks

I think you mean you want a 1 year extension of stay from immigration, not a new visa. Immigration will give you an extension of stay till the date your passports expires. When you get a new passport, you return to immigration with both old and new paspsort. Immigration will transfers the details to your new paspsort and at the same time give you the rest of the 1 year extension. This process is free.

Believe he is talking about "Thai Consulate" so indeed a visa which he is not going to obtain. Your passport needs immediate replacement. For now obtain a 60 day extension of stay (to visit wife) to tide you over until new passport is made.

To avoid confusion, you need to clarify whether you are on an extension of stay for marriage purposes or have a 1 year multiple entry non-O visa to visit family and if you do, when do you have to do your next "border crossing". The bottom line is that you need to apply for a new passport. What you need to do and when depends on the answers to the questions.

The OP says he needs to get a new 1 year visa.

To do this you must have at least 18 months left on your passport so you must first get a new passport, then apply for the new 1 year visa.

If you still have an up-to-date visa in your current passport then take it, along with the new passport, to immigration and they will 'move' the visa to the new passport.

I think you mean you want a 1 year extension of stay from immigration, not a new visa. Immigration will give you an extension of stay till the date your passports expires. When you get a new passport, you return to immigration with both old and new paspsort. Immigration will transfers the details to your new paspsort and at the same time give you the rest of the 1 year extension. This process is free.

This is indeed the case and is exactly what happened to me in these circumstances. No hassle, no problems other than the extra journey.

Thanks Folks,

My 1 Year Thai Visa ran out in January for the purposes of application. Shortly before it ran out I visited Singapore for a function and on returning to Thailand earned another 3 Months requiring me to leave the Country by March. For insurance purposes I need to go back home mid February and come back to Thailand two weeks later. I then will need to obtain another 1 year Non Immigrant Visa. However since my UK Passport will expire in August the question is will the Thai Consul in UK be prepared to issue another 1 Year Visa. It did occur to me that onnce the old passport runs out that the Consul could perhaps transfer the new Visa to the new Passport. After all, once the UK Passport Office issues a new Passport even if it replaces a non expired one latter becomes invalid as a travel document and the corner is normally cut. Only special permissions and visas inside have any effect. However I still do not,k at this stage no how I stand as far as the Thai Consulate is concerned.

You must have validity of six months beyond the time of stay (18 months for one year visa) on your passport or it will not be issued. You need to obtain new passport now and exit using that/old and on trip obtain new visa in the new passport.