Cashing Check From Us In My Thai Bank Account

I have received a check from the US, a refund check from the government of the state where I am from, not a large amount, anyways I have accounts at Kasikorn bank, is it feasable for me to cash it there and the costs, I don't care how long it takes to clear.

Thanks much

I have the exact same situation as you, except my account is at Bangkok Bank. I went there yesterday and was told that the money would be posted to my account when received from the bank where the account of the issuing party is located, which would take about 45 days. The charge is B340, which I was told was "standard" with all banks. I don't care about the 45 days, but to pay 10% of the check amount to have it cashed seemed to be too much, so I got the address in the US for deposits by mail into my bank off the internet and will send the check there by registered mail via Thai mail today.

The charge is B340, which I was told was "standard" with all banks. I don't care about the 45 days, but to pay 10% of the check amount to have it cashed seemed to be too much, so I got the address in the US for deposits by mail into my bank off the internet and will send the check there by registered mail via Thai mail today.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the registered international mail cost? Bet it's more than 340B.

I have the exact same situation as you, except my account is at Bangkok Bank. I went there yesterday and was told that the money would be posted to my account when received from the bank where the account of the issuing party is located, which would take about 45 days. The charge is B340, which I was told was "standard" with all banks. I don't care about the 45 days, but to pay 10% of the check amount to have it cashed seemed to be too much, so I got the address in the US for deposits by mail into my bank off the internet and will send the check there by registered mail via Thai mail today.

Is the 10% of the check amount in addition to the B340? Also, does this fee apply if someone simply wants to deposit the check into their Bangkok Bank Account, rather than cash the check?

The charge is B340, which I was told was "standard" with all banks. I don't care about the 45 days, but to pay 10% of the check amount to have it cashed seemed to be too much, so I got the address in the US for deposits by mail into my bank off the internet and will send the check there by registered mail via Thai mail today.

Just out of curiosity, how much did the registered international mail cost? Bet it's more than 340B.

It is well under B100 to send an envelope by registered air mail to the US at the Thai Post Office . It takes about 10 days to arrive and you can track the mail online. It is not an international courier service, which is around B1000 for an envelope and arrives in 3 days.

Normally banks won't cash or deposit cheques if they are under $100.00 USD or CAD.

I had 10 cheques from Canada all $99.00 from the Government and they would not accept them. SCB

Is the 10% of the check amount in addition to the B340? Also, does this fee apply if someone simply wants to deposit the check into their Bangkok Bank Account, rather than cash the check?

The B340 (equivalent to about $10.97) is the bank's fee for "cashing" (perhaps "processing" is a more accurate word) the check. it happened to be about 10% of the amount of the check in my case, since the check I received was for $110.00 You cannot "cash" the check in the sense of getting cash now in exchange for the check. The amount is deposited into your account at the bank in Thailand when funds have been received by the Thai bank from the bank on which the check has been written in the US, which takes approximately 45 days.

Edited by Thailaw

Just endorse it marks for deposit only with the account number and mail it to your bank 7 to 10 days you will see it online. If you post it in person at the counter and don't use a mail box your 99.999999999 % not going to have a problem.

The cost from BBL is USD 10 which is roughly the 300 baht mentioned. The value of the cheque is not a consideration. Be aware that the overseas bank may also take a portion of the funds for their efforts before they return the proceeds. I am told this can be around USD20.

I got a check in USD from a US litigation against Citibank Mastercard overcharging for overseas credit card use for a period of years through 2006. Mailed it using express airmail to US from Bangkok PO at around 100THB and check amount was in my account free of charge about 12 days later.

One option some USA banks have is "Deposit Point". I was able to scan a check online and have it deposited that way into my US Bank account. Cost 50 cents and took about 3 days to clear. But only checks of the following kind are acceptable (basically checks drawn on a USA bank). And I had to have my scanner connected to my computer so the "DepositPoint" system could interrogate the scanner and use it directly. I could not simply upload a scanned image myself. Here is the rule for acceptable checks.

"Only a draft, payable on demand, and drawn on or payable through or at an office of a bank, is eligible for deposit as a Check Image. Without limiting the generality of the preceding sentence, the following items are not eligible for deposit as Check Images under DepositPoint, and Customer must deposit these original paper checks with U.S. Bank for collection: (i) U.S. Treasury Checks, (ii) checks, including travelers checks, that are drawn on banks located outside of the United States, (iii) checks payable in a medium other than U.S. dollars, (iv) non-cash items (as defined under Section 229.2(u) of Federal Reserve’s Regulation CC), (v) promissory notes and similar obligations, such as savings bonds, (vi) third party checks; and (vii) any other class of checks or drafts as identified by U.S. Bank to Customer from time to time."