How To Pass The Time In Muscat Airport?

seancar29

Hi , I have just booked the summer hols to Thailand and to save money I have gone for an inderect flight.

Ordinarily we fly direct with either Thai or Eva and are always happy with the price but this year we are going during the school summer holidays and the prices are far too high.

We are going with Oman aviation and the flights to LOS are fine only a 2 hour stop but on the way back we get to Muscat at 05:00 and leave at 14:00.

Is there any way to pass the time in this airport, fortunately or unfortunately the kids arent babies any more so entertaining 16 and 14 year old girs isnt on the agenda. Just maybe somewhere to relax and freshen up.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Sean.

Edited by seancar29

There are no hos in the airport, but they are available downtown.

On a more serious note and in answer to your question, Muscat airport is very small and compact. It is pleasant and efficient enough, but there really isn't much to capture the interest of a couple of teenage girls, unless they like shopping, in which case the duty-free shops should keep them engaged for all of about 15 to 20 minutes. There's (a fairly expensive) restaurant/cafe and a bar area, but that's about it.

The suggestion to have a look around the city is not a bad one. Tourist visas are available on arrival (though whether they will actually let you leave the transit area, I am not sure).Muscat itself is quite scenic and well-worth a look for a few hours, though everything is very spread-out and the airport is a fair distance from anywhere of real interest. You could do a deal with one of the bandit taxi drivers outside to take you on a tour (bargain like an Omani woman in the fish market, though), or alternatively hire a car from one of the agencies at the airport - should be about OR 10 to 15 a day - which will be cheaper and give you more freedom. Driving in the Capital Area is not so bad as the road system is excellent, if a tad confusing in places.

If you just want to relax while waiting for your connecting flight, the Golden Tulip is the nearest hotel to the airport - a few hundred metres away - though the taxis will still want an arm and a leg to take you there, and hotels in Oman are not particularly good value for money either.

Edited by Rumpole

You could use the Plaza Premium Lounge which is open to all travelers.

I believe for 5 hours it's OMR 15.

Food, drinks (incl alcohol) free wifi etc.

Check it out on Muscat Airport website.

Yermanee jap.gif

Edited by yermanee
  • Like 1

I spent some time there in June, and I slept on the chair for 2 hours. I was flying from DXB to BKK, I was partying in DXB till 03.00 then my flight was at 05.55, reached MCT at 06.55 then after getting to the lounge, I was very tired so I slept for a couple of hours. Then at 09.00 I proceeded to my gate and the BKK flight left at around 11.00.

Muscat is not a very interesting airport to spend time in and it has the annoying loud announcements. However, if you are into plane-spotting, there are nice views of the traffic...Oman Air was very nice though. Much better than Emirates.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a long layover with Oman Air on the way back to the Uk in April. I visited their Bkk office in Silom Road and they contacted Muscat direct who confirmed that they would provide me and my family with free stopover hotel accomodation. If past experience is anything to go by with other airlines then they will also provide at least one free meal and sort out the transit visa's and hotel transfers.

Have you contacted Oman Air regarding your long transit time and whether a courtesy hotel might be provided? Normally anything over 8 hours can put you in the frame for free hotel accomodation.

The problem with free accommodation on long layover is the 'hassle' of getting to the hotel and back to the airport.

First you have to go through immigration, then wait for everybody from that flight to do the same, then wait for the bus to turn up, then wait until the bus gets to your hotel (after dropping off other people at other hotels), then wait in the hotel lobby to get your room. Then you get 2 or 3 hours sleep if you are lucky and do the whole waiting process in reverse.

It was bad enough for single me but with a family???

My experiences are for Olympic and Sri Lankan. Maybe other airlines are better organised. And maybe if you have a very long layover it is worh the hassle, But for me 8 tranquil hours in a transit lounge can better than 2 hours sleep in a mosquito infested hotel room.

2 hours sleep in a mosquito infested hotel room.

I have to say that your experience does sound rather ghastly to say the least but thankfully my experiences have all been good.

My free stopovers have only been with the middle eastern airlines in places such a s Abu Dhabi,Bahrain and Muscat. I always make a point of giving myself a long layover. In April I arrive in Muscat about midnight and fly out at 14:00 the next day. Due to flying business class I will be fast tracked through immigration and a limo arranged.Sometimes if an airport hotel is involved then I am picked up by the hotels dedicated shuttle bus in timely fashion.

For economy you will get a lower star hotel and maybe a mini bus transfer but generally that would also involve a dedicated hotel bus thus avoiding numerous stop offs at different hotels such as you experienced which sounds more akin to a Majorcan air holiday bus transfer than a major airline pre arranged stopover hotel.

It's horses for courses really as to what option you decide.The OP will only have 9 hours but if they are given an airport hotel then they could reasonably expect to spend at least 5-6 hours in private accommodation with a meal provided. There will almost definitely be a swimming pool at the hotel in Muscat to keep the kids amused for an hour or two also

If you are unable or do not wish to rest then maybe take in a sight seeing tour for a few hours?

Personally I have not found all transfer lounges to be comfortable tranquil places and 9 hours in Muscat would be one hell of a drag for me at least...I would rather be doing something even if it does involve immigration and transfers.

Edited by brizzle

I also have a long layover with Oman Air on the way back to the Uk in April. I visited their Bkk office in Silom Road and they contacted Muscat direct who confirmed that they would provide me and my family with free stopover hotel accomodation. If past experience is anything to go by with other airlines then they will also provide at least one free meal and sort out the transit visa's and hotel transfers.

Have you contacted Oman Air regarding your long transit time and whether a courtesy hotel might be provided? Normally anything over 8 hours can put you in the frame for free hotel accomodation.

I took your advice and emailed Oman Air regarding accommodation or complimentary Lounge Access on this long layover.

They replied very swiftly and asked for me to send them a copy of my e-ticket for the four people travelling.

I was getting optimistic until the next reply came.

They said as I had booked through an agent (Southall Travel) that I would need to contact them regarding any accommodation.

I did contact Southall Travel who sort of fobbed me off saying that I had agreed to the ticket and the layover when I purchased the flights, but they would contact the airline and see what they could do.

I am not holding my breath I think they were just saying it to seem as tjhough they were doing everything they could.

Any suggestions are welcome but I think they are passing the buck from one to another,

many thanks,

Sean.

Well my flights were also booked online through an agent and not direct with the airline. Maybe the fact that I saw Oman Air in Bkk in person helped my case.

I know that if I require a refund for any part of my ticket then I would have to request that from the agent and not the airline so maybe I just got lucky on the hotel. Having said that I have had multiple stays in the past with Gulf Air where an online agent was used. In those cases I just walked up to the transit desk on arrival in Bahrain ,Muscat or wherever and everything ..transfers,visa and hotel with meals was sorted out on the spot.

In times gone by the general rule for most airlines would be to provide a hotel whereby there were no connecting flights within 8 hours.However with the current economic climate and the fragile state some of these airlines find themselves in it might be that they are more reluctant to hand out these ''freebies'' on some discounted tickets.

I hope your agent comes back with some good news for you.

Don't forget that if you have to pass immigration and obtain a visa (and you are not coming from UAE with a stamp in your passport), the cost/visa is 20 rials (> US$60). That would quickly become very expensive if you are traveling with a family.

Another note about the lounge there: after you check in at the counter, continue straight ahead to the back wall, and on your right you will notice that there are several small, private "sleeping rooms", each with a door and a recliner. I think some people don't notice these rooms as they are sort of tucked away in the back. They are really sort of nice, since you can go in, close the door and have some peace and quiet. I can't remember seeing a similar setup with individual private rooms in any other airport lounge.

Don't forget that if you have to pass immigration and obtain a visa (and you are not coming from UAE with a stamp in your passport), the cost/visa is 20 rials (> US$60). That would quickly become very expensive if you are traveling with a family.

If the airline provides you with a hotel they will also sort out the transit visa process with no cost to yourself. I have stayed previously in Muscat on two occasions with Gulf Air. All costs were covered. I have no doubt that Oman Air will do likewise should they offer Sean a complimentary hotel as they have done in my case.

Edited by brizzle

Last year Oman air changed my flight times giving me a long layover in Muscat. This was apparently due to the change from winter to summer timetable.

They paid for a visa, arranged transport, put me up in a nice hotel with free food for 10 hours.

Very impressed with the airline all in all and their prices are very competative..