"Up To You" In Thai

KhunMax

I've heard a dizzying number of English --> Thai translations for the ubiquitous "up to you" response. I hear this from time to time in English from Thai people... So, I have a few questions since this seems to be a hotly-discussed topic with few clear answers. (Maybe I can get lucky and get some clarity that I couldn't find in searching the forums here or Googling it)...

1. How is "up to you" said in (transliterated to English and also Thai script, please) Thai?

2. If I say "where shall we go to eat" and I hear "up to you," is it really true that I am supposed to read the other person's mind and "make the choice" but I'd better "get it right," meaning that I must make the choice that, in theory, I ought to know that the other person _would_ choose?

3. What's the appropriate response to the "up to you" response?

Thanks!

No, they are already set on a minimum fee, but 'up to U' may well provide a better cash flow.

And if it didn't work out, it will be revealed that it wasn't actually 'up to U'

or put another way: -anything above the minimum fee is, but nothing below is

Thanks for the very helpful answers, all... I am a little confused by the last comment about fees and minimums... I used the restaurant example because it's a typical scenario for me. I could not care less, honestly, about negotiating with bar girls, freelancers or professionals. If that's your thing then have fun but it's not for me, mate... ;-)

... the translation is-- joking aside-- genuinely bad. The 'Laew tae khun' is much closer to the English 'depends on you'.

This is crucial since 'depends on...' does not leave the final matter down to you, but shows you have a sway or influence in how the decision is made.

It would be interesting to study the genealogy of 'up to you', as it becoming the 'official' translation in Thai life.