Mama Mia Pizza & Pasta In San Sai

junglechef

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody write the acronym of Koh Phangan as KPG, but the correct one should be KPN as the exact toponym of the island is Koh Pha-Ngan.

N'Golly-Gosh ! rolleyes.gif

We tried the new restaurant yesterday, and would recommend it too, 900B for 4 pizzas, a pork-steak and a salad, plus drinks, doesn't break the strong-Baht-diminished family-budget and we'll definitely be back. thumbsup.gif

A basic Napolitana was only 125B. with other pizzas 140B-160B, for a basic product. My personal taste might be for a few more herbs, and a slightly-spicier tomato-sauce, but hey, these things do vary from place to place.

I'd also add a simple tomato/cucumber or perhaps a Greek-salad, to their existing range of four salads, none of which was more-than 70B, and it was a big bowlful, also a little pat of butter with the (free) bread ? But these are mere details.

Good Luck to the new venture !cool.png

Everybody write the acronym of Koh Phangan as KPG, but the correct one should be KPN as the exact toponym of the island is Koh Pha-Ngan.

N'Golly-Gosh ! rolleyes.gif

We tried the new restaurant yesterday, and would recommend it too, 900B for 4 pizzas, a pork-steak and a salad, plus drinks, doesn't break the strong-Baht-diminished family-budget and we'll definitely be back. thumbsup.gif

A basic Napolitana was only 125B. with other pizzas 140B-160B, for a basic product. My personal taste might be for a few more herbs, and a slightly-spicier tomato-sauce, but hey, these things do vary from place to place.

I'd also add a simple tomato/cucumber or perhaps a Greek-salad, to their existing range of four salads, none of which was more-than 70B, and it was a big bowlful, also a little pat of butter with the (free) bread ? But these are mere details.

Good Luck to the new venture !cool.png

140-160 baht, sounds good, how big was it?

It is, per bite, not so filling as the everything but the kitchen sink American variety, but can be every bit as delicious (some would argue more). I suppose that our preferences represent, as with all things edible, personal taste as well as the restaurant itself.

My personal preference is thin, American-style crust with just tomato sauce and cheese (and maybe pepperoni). I am not crazy about all the toppings on some pizzas, but much prefer the New York style crust to any Italian-style crust that I have ever eaten.

i do like the toppings on Italian-style pizza, but the crust is my favorite part.

The Duke's and Butter is Better pizzas are the closest thing that I have found to what I am looking for, but I have yet to try Momma Mia.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Had a very nice pene arribiata, a friend liked their seafood spaghetti, another said their lasagna was good. Salad in a large bowl, enough to share, was okay too. Olive oil with the bread worked for us. May not yet be quite up to the standard of some of the city Italian restaurants but less expensive, very acceptable and for some things as good or better. Tiramisu was tasty too but that is one that comes in many forms to different tastes. Great not to have to go into the city for Italian food. We will be going back.

Yes, I went a couple of weeks ago and agree with the other posters that the pizza is very tasty and excellent value for money. It's less than 1km from my place so I'll be eating there more than once in a while. Nice guy (Joseph?) and his family but I found the decor to be pretty bland and therefore lacking ambience and I also thought that the music played from a laptop on top of the fridge was a bit crap. BUT, the guy is obviously just starting out, the food was great, the beer was cold and I sincerely wish him all the best.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Went to Mamma mia few times. So far much cheaper than mostly Italian restaurant downton. Food is also over average and there's a selection of thai food, which suits my thai wife tastes. The only Italian managed restaurant that I found in San Sai / Mae jo area. We Will surely go back again

I visited Mama Mia Pizza & Pasta with my girlfriend. Nice people and probably one of the cleanest bathrooms in Chiang Mai. We both had pasta dishes. Both dishes were so salty neither of us could finish lunch.

Which pasta dishes did you order? The ones with salted fish?

I visited Mama Mia Pizza & Pasta with my girlfriend. Nice people and probably one of the cleanest bathrooms in Chiang Mai. We both had pasta dishes. Both dishes were so salty neither of us could finish lunch.

I had pasta with clams, and my girlfriend had the Mama Mia Pasta dish. It was so salty it wasn't edible.

I had pasta with clams, and my girlfriend had the Mama Mia Pasta dish. It was so salty it wasn't edible.

I have had 3 different pasta dishes there on three different days and all were fine, hot even a hint of too much salt. My good luck or your bad luck?

• 2 weeks later...

Wondering about when open too. Went there last Sunday again after my original post, took whole family this time and it was closed, love to patronize a restaurant but won't keep going back to any place if it's closed arbitrarily as it takes an effort to round up the troops and get there only to find it closed (never the less we had to end up eating a Pizzamania for overpriced horrible food because I promised the kids pizza and pasta) There was a sign on the window for later dates they will be closed but not for that day. Want to give it another chance, anybody know if it has regular hours?

Edited by junglechef

I went last Thursday, arriving at 19:30, and it was closed. Was quite disappointed as had enjoyed it the 3 times we had been before, decent food and very good beer prices, 85 baht for Asahi and 95 baht for Heinakin, large bottles not the small ones.

• 2 weeks later...

With regards to these erratic closing times, had anyone been very recently? I fancy going tonight, but like others, it's a pain if it's randomly closed .

It would be good if the owner reads this, to set up a website, just a simple one, or even a Facebook page or twitter account. You can post when it's closed, and save us all a wasted trip. This would satisfy those that would not bother coming back once they have had one wasted journey.

I'm looking forward to sampling the food.

With regards to these erratic closing times, had anyone been very recently? I fancy going tonight, but like others, it's a pain if it's randomly closed .

It would be good if the owner reads this, to set up a website, just a simple one, or even a Facebook page or twitter account. You can post when it's closed, and save us all a wasted trip. This would satisfy those that would not bother coming back once they have had one wasted journey.

I'm looking forward to sampling the food.

Not exactly erratic mate, he's been closed twice once on the 9th and again the 15th, there was a sign in his shop window for at least a week beforehand.