Mama Mia Pizza & Pasta In San Sai

junglechef

Went to Mama Mia Pizza & Pasta and it was really good. Pizza was thin crust and sauce had a nice fresh tomato taste. Owner/Chef is an Italian man who runs it w/this Thai wife and their lovely daughter,who all cared about the product and making me feel welcome. He had experience at his Dad's Pizzeria in Pizza, Italy and worked in a Italian restaurant here in CM. Nice quaint dining room w/tablecloths and a very generous pour of wine by the glass, which was not the usual low quality plonk but an Italian Merlot. It's been opened a few months and I kept driving by and seeing the sign but not sure if it was open as it in a very quiet line of new shop houses and quite dark so stopped for a couple of take out pies and a tiramisu, on the hostess recommendation, which was excellent as well. Will definitely going back to try pasta (they also have meat entrees etc.) and eat-in. It's in San Sai on the Mae Jo-Phrao Rd (Rt 1001) past Rim Ping/Meechok Plaza where McDonalds Drive-thru is (intersection Rt. 3029) and past the next intersection (Rt. 121) and on left 2.5 km up in a small strip mall. I asked him if he was on TV and he said he has not done any promo and when I said I'd post he said don't till after I try the food, here's a man who stands behind his product whom I wish good luck and hope other people patronize so he will stay in business for when I want a treat!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good News ! We need something now that Gypsy has moved back into Chiang Mai, and Heidelberg has closed, but I've been unable to spot Mamma-Mia yet. Is it before or after the PTT-station, before or after the new traffic-lights 1 km South of Mae-Jo proper ?

Edited by Ricardo

Good News ! We need something now that Gypsy has moved back into Chiang Mai, and Heidelberg has closed, but I've been unable to spot Mamma-Mia yet. Is it before or after the PTT-station, before or after the new traffic-lights 1 km South of Mae-Jo proper ?

Its before you get to the Ptt station coming out of Chiang Mai. You will see a new row of shops just where the AFM building is situated and the entrance to Sunshine Village. I live within a 2 minute walk to the restaurant and will give it a try soon

Its before you get to the Ptt station coming out of Chiang Mai. You will see a new row of shops just where the AFM building is situated and the entrance to Sunshine Village. I live within a 2 minute walk to the restaurant and will give it a try soon

Much obliged, sir !jap.gif

Sounds good, but your directions to the place give me a headache. I don't want to reject the place out of hand because it's outside of town, but I don't wont to go on a big wild goose chase to find the place either. Any chance that you could pinpoint it on Google Maps or give GPS coordinates?

Edited by OriginalPoster

It's on the 1001 past the 121 intersection heading out of Chiang mai. 2.5km on the left.

At least that's what I read in the OP. It seems simple enough to me, but then I'm in the area.

Look at google maps, and you will see the intersection easy enough.

Sounds good, but your directions to the place give me a headache. I don't want to reject the place out of hand because it's outside of town, but I don't wont to go on a big wild goose chase to find the place either. Any chance that you could pinpoint it on Google Maps or give GPS coordinates?

It is just past Land & Houses complex on Mae Jo Road on the left. I would say just a few blocks. The sign doesn't stand out and it is in a row on fairly new non-descript connected shops. If you come to the PTT gas station, you just missed it? (I will check if it is before or after, but I think just before)

I will try this week...

CB

"it was really good. Pizza was thin crust and sauce had a nice fresh tomato taste."

"a tiramisu, on the hostess recommendation, which was excellent as well. "

----

Hi - thanks for the tip. But after reading your post, I don't learn ANYTHING about how the food is! Nice people, friendly, dedicated , nice place, lovely daughter, worked in Italy, etc. etc.

All nice to know, but may I suggest for people reviewing restaurants that they try for more description of the actual food!

The worst review I have seen here was a few years ago. It went something like this:

"I went to this restaurant. It was yummy. Everybody should try it. You'll love it."

Not trying to nitpik, but tell us about the food!!!!

smile.png

OP here, a brief description and opinion is what I wanted to convey as food is so personal to each individual's likes and dislike. As a classically French trained Chef who owned restaurants for 25 yrs. I intentionally avoided going on on some detailed food snob diatribe which I am and am capable of. Those who know from me from my previous post either respect my opinion, from going to try themselves and deciding if they agree, will go try it if they want and others who don't (no names previous poster) if they don't. It's as important the feeling I get from where I eat out as I'm able to make most things myself at home, so I'm looking for an enjoyable "dining experience". I conveyed that the tomato sauce was fresh tasting and crust thin so that's something about how the food was even if you don't consider my saying it was good was informative. Go give it and try and please get back to us with your opinion, as detailed you like, I promise to read the whole thing.

Edited by junglechef

Let me begin by trying to make the directions even more clear. Going north on the 1001 toward Maejo, we pass the outer ring road (121). After 2kms, one observes a yellow Susco gas station - glaring, and high above is a red arrow, indicating Land and Houses. No matter.

Point is that at the very next opportunity for a U-turn, 1/2 km further and well marked (we are NOT taking it), being in the left lane and having slowed, we immediately turn Left into the modest strip mall in question. That is, just upon seeing the u-turn gap, we climb left.

Three curtains and tables show in the window (11-2:30 and 5-10p.m), and a prominent address 7S indicates the restaurant.

I am eating a pizza now, and I cannot agree more about the thin crust and the freshness of the t'sauce. For my own taste, I've added a bit of pepper. Naturally, I'll want to try more dishes before drawing any conclusions, but for 150baht, this is a European-style pizza with ingredients superior to those typical of the PizzaKrap corporations. Take-away, of course, makes no sense unless one re-crisps the crust in an oven of some sort. It is a pleasant setting, so eating on-site is doubtless a better idea.

No relationship, no interest beyond being a customer.

Me and the family have just had 2 pizza's, the lasagne and a bit of thai food between us and its great. The Pizza's were awesome and as a few people have said the tomato sauce is really good. The lasagne is as good as ive had in Thailand. Didn't have the Thai food personally but the wfe and Daughter said it was good. I only live 5 minutes up the road so take away is no problem for me. Hope this standard keeps up and i'll be a very regular customer. Also No interest or relationship beyond a food addict.

Edited by thaimiller

"this is a European-style pizza", quote from CMX. This is very true and if you're an American style pizza lover, be forewarned.

Could you pls. explain, I'm American and loved it as it reminded me of the North End of Boston pizza, w/the balance of cheese to sauce that compliments the thin crust, interested in hearing a different view, perhaps your a Chicagoan? Do tell!

"this is a European-style pizza", quote from CMX. This is very true and if you're an American style pizza lover, be forewarned.

Could you pls. explain, I'm American and loved it as it reminded me of the North End of Boston pizza, w/the balance of cheese to sauce that compliments the thin crust, interested in hearing a different view, perhaps your a Chicagoan? Do tell!

Set aside a couple of hours to read these:

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

Italian pizzas in CM are invariable skinny little crackers with a little bit of tomato sauce brushed on, and few little bits of topping scattered around.

Tasty, but not as interesting or fulfilling as N.American ones. While there are plenty of decent little Italian pizzas around, it is unfortunate that there aren't any really good N.American pizzas. They are a much better breed!

N. American pizzas tend to have sauce, cheese, and toppings in abundance.

Here are a couple of examples of (the more interesting) N.American style of pizza:

post-55564-0-75029700-1326951479_thumb.j

post-55564-0-25648500-1326951522_thumb.j

Italian pizzas in CM are invariable skinny little crackers with a little bit of tomato sauce brushed on, and few little bits of topping scattered around.

Here are a couple of examples of (the more interesting) N.American style of pizza:

A buddy calls them crackers with ketchup. biggrin.png

Subject to correction, I too make the distinction that 'European' pizzas are thin, whereas U.S. types in general are heavy with cheese, t'sauce, fillings and sometimes crust. I make this split for convenience as much as anything since variations in the States abound.

In either case, it comes down to ingredients - cheese and meats here are expensive. For what it's worth (zip), I have found so far that Duke's pizza comes as close to one type of 'American' pizza as anything here in town. True cholesterol city, if we order correctly, with ample meats for example.

Curiously, the 'sausage' pizza at Mama Mia's is the plain bland pork Thai sausage that's sold everywhere - not at all something with character. Highly unreccomended. But there are others also at @ 150 baht, enough for two, with room for dessert.

Set aside a couple of hours to read these:

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

Tasty, but not as interesting or fulfilling as N.American ones. While there are plenty of decent little Italian pizzas around, it is unfortunate that there aren't any really good N.American pizzas. They are a much better breed!

N. American pizzas tend to have sauce, cheese, and toppings in abundance.

One of the (several) reasons US people are among the fattest of the world laugh.pngsick.gif

You?

You?

The only place in Thailand where I recall having Euro (pseudo-Italian) pizza that fully met that description was in KPN. Worst still was the attitude of the Italian restaurant owners there toward American customers, they have such a bug up their butt about americans stealing and bastardizing their cuisine that they can't contain themselves.

The only place in Thailand where I recall having Euro (pseudo-Italian) pizza that fully met that description was in KPN. Worst still was the attitude of the Italian restaurant owners there toward American customers, they have such a bug up their butt about americans stealing and bastardizing their cuisine that they can't contain themselves.

Thank you!(I'm Italian restaurant owner in KPG) but I'm not among the italian owners bashing american-style pizza, because personally I don't do it, but I love it . ;-)

Thank you!(I'm Italian restaurant owner in KPG) but I'm not among the italian owners bashing american-style pizza, because personally I don't do it, but I love it . ;-)

Just trying to follow, what "KPN" and "KPG"?

This diminuation of the worth of 'European' style pizza speaks to a lack of good experiences. In Italy and France I have enjoyed thin pizzas that are not pasturized cheezes mounted high on gobs of dough, that feature instead fine cheese and home-made tomato sauce and quality ingredients as selected. It is true that such a meal might leave room for a salad and that wine might match better than beer.

It is, per bite, not so filling as the everything but the kitchen sink American variety, but can be every bit as delicious (some would argue more). I suppose that our preferences represent, as with all things edible, personal taste as well as the restaurant itself.

Edited by CMX
  • Like 2