Mama Mia Pizza & Pasta In San Sai

junglechef

Just ate there (thanks to this thread). My (American) opinion:

Pizza (salami) 120THB 7/10. I think the Dukes' meatlovers large is the best deal in CM. It is big enough for 4 people (or 4 meals for 1 person), 9.5 out of 10 taste and 450THB.

Lasagna 150THB 7/10. Good sized portion but could have used more meat.

Spaghetti 110THB 6/10. Same comments as lasagna. Also, a little watery. I don't know if the water came from not straining the noodles well enough or from the sauce.

French fries 50THB!!! seems expensive for a helping of frozen fries, but they were crispy and good.

1 bottle of water 13THB!! Come on...even the Thai restaurants give free water (unless you order a bottled water). I know it's only 13THB (for a 7THB bottle), but plain water will work and should be free. I don't drink beer, don't want soda so I always order water.

I would suggest they raise the prices a little and add more meat to the above. If anyone has had that Dukes' meatlovers pizza, you know what I mean. It is COVERED in meat. I had about 2-3 slices of small diameter salami on this pizza (not near enough).

All in all, not bad, especially considering there's not much alternative here in San Sai except for Pizza Mania (which I find to be fairly good although they have gone up on price). I do hope this restaurant survives, but given it's out-of-the-way location, it will be tough. We were the only ones there. Also, their signage is stuck behind shrubs, need to fix that. A passerby would not see it.

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love pizza and will try this place but it is far outside the main city for me (and likely for others). Let me share another place that I found that I think is quite good and very central. On the road that runs in front of Wat Pra Singh and just opposite (turn left if coming down from Ratchadamroen Road and heading toward the temple) it is about 40 meters on the opposite side of the street. I don't recall the name, if any (named restaurants have to pay taxes in Thailand-- so many have no names) but it has a big sign and flag with the Italian colors on it. They make their pizzas from scratch; it's not expensive and the toppings are good. From order to a hot pizza takes about 15 minutes. I think it was B 160 for small and they have tasty salads (the Greek one is about 70 baht but is big enough for two people). I don't recommend the wine but the beer is cheap. You can eat outside or inside. It's not a fancy place. Run by Thais but there must be some Italian connection too because the staff seem well trained and know what they're doing. They also deliver.

Let me begin by trying to make the directions even more clear. Going north on the 1001 toward Maejo, we pass the outer ring road (121). After 2kms, one observes a yellow Susco gas station - glaring, and high above is a red arrow, indicating Land and Houses. No matter.

Point is that at the very next opportunity for a U-turn, 1/2 km further and well marked (we are NOT taking it), being in the left lane and having slowed, we immediately turn Left into the modest strip mall in question. That is, just upon seeing the u-turn gap, we climb left.

Three curtains and tables show in the window (11-2:30 and 5-10p.m), and a prominent address 7S indicates the restaurant.

I am eating a pizza now, and I cannot agree more about the thin crust and the freshness of the t'sauce. For my own taste, I've added a bit of pepper. Naturally, I'll want to try more dishes before drawing any conclusions, but for 150baht, this is a European-style pizza with ingredients superior to those typical of the PizzaKrap corporations. Take-away, of course, makes no sense unless one re-crisps the crust in an oven of some sort. It is a pleasant setting, so eating on-site is doubtless a better idea.

No relationship, no interest beyond being a customer.

Well, I wasted a certain amount of time trying to find this place today. Beginning from Rimping Meechok I headed north on the Maejo Road looking out for a PTT station on the left, someone here having said it was just before one such; I passed two Ptt stations, but no pizza place. I also had 2.5 km in the back of my mind, someone having said it was that distance from Rimping - and I went a lot further than that.

You are saying I just keep going from Rimping until the Maejo road crosses the next ring road - and after that look to go another 2.5km before getting to this place on the left near a susco petrol station etc. So it's several km from Rimping. Ok, I'll give it another shot in a couple of days.

• 2 weeks later...

Let me begin by trying to make the directions even more clear. Going north on the 1001 toward Maejo, we pass the outer ring road (121). After 2kms, one observes a yellow Susco gas station - glaring, and high above is a red arrow, indicating Land and Houses. No matter.

Point is that at the very next opportunity for a U-turn, 1/2 km further and well marked (we are NOT taking it), being in the left lane and having slowed, we immediately turn Left into the modest strip mall in question. That is, just upon seeing the u-turn gap, we climb left.

Three curtains and tables show in the window (11-2:30 and 5-10p.m), and a prominent address 7S indicates the restaurant.

I am eating a pizza now, and I cannot agree more about the thin crust and the freshness of the t'sauce. For my own taste, I've added a bit of pepper. Naturally, I'll want to try more dishes before drawing any conclusions, but for 150baht, this is a European-style pizza with ingredients superior to those typical of the PizzaKrap corporations. Take-away, of course, makes no sense unless one re-crisps the crust in an oven of some sort. It is a pleasant setting, so eating on-site is doubtless a better idea.

No relationship, no interest beyond being a customer.

Well, I wasted a certain amount of time trying to find this place today. Beginning from Rimping Meechok I headed north on the Maejo Road looking out for a PTT station on the left, someone here having said it was just before one such; I passed two Ptt stations, but no pizza place. I also had 2.5 km in the back of my mind, someone having said it was that distance from Rimping - and I went a lot further than that.

You are saying I just keep going from Rimping until the Maejo road crosses the next ring road - and after that look to go another 2.5km before getting to this place on the left near a susco petrol station etc. So it's several km from Rimping. Ok, I'll give it another shot in a couple of days.

It's past 121 (Ring Rd. 2 or 'outer ring road'). You'll pass a 7-11 and then a little bit further the Land and Houses mooban (which is difficult to miss). The very next u-turn, instead of making the u-turn, you turn LEFT into a very small strip-mall of shops. The pizza place is there.

That said, I was happy to see it last year since I live very close to the location and we have NO restaurants in the area. However, I was very disappointed with the pizza (had an 'Italian sausage' pizza which translated into carved up hotdogs on toast). Perhaps it's changed over the past year and therefore I'll give it another shot. The family running it were really congenial and I'd like to see them successful. It was clean and pleasant.

Edited by venturalaw

I love pizza and will try this place but it is far outside the main city for me (and likely for others). Let me share another place that I found that I think is quite good and very central. On the road that runs in front of Wat Pra Singh and just opposite (turn left if coming down from Ratchadamroen Road and heading toward the temple) it is about 40 meters on the opposite side of the street. I don't recall the name, if any (named restaurants have to pay taxes in Thailand-- so many have no names) but it has a big sign and flag with the Italian colors on it. They make their pizzas from scratch; it's not expensive and the toppings are good. From order to a hot pizza takes about 15 minutes. I think it was B 160 for small and they have tasty salads (the Greek one is about 70 baht but is big enough for two people). I don't recommend the wine but the beer is cheap. You can eat outside or inside. It's not a fancy place. Run by Thais but there must be some Italian connection too because the staff seem well trained and know what they're doing. They also deliver.

Trying to understand your directions. The Wat faces Ratchadamroen Road, so if one turns left onto Samlan Rd. (the road the Wat is on) you are driving AWAY from the Wat, not toward the Wat. Is it past where Mokador once was located?

With regards to these erratic closing times, had anyone been very recently? I fancy going tonight, but like others, it's a pain if it's randomly closed .

It would be good if the owner reads this, to set up a website, just a simple one, or even a Facebook page or twitter account. You can post when it's closed, and save us all a wasted trip. This would satisfy those that would not bother coming back once they have had one wasted journey.

I'm looking forward to sampling the food.

Not exactly erratic mate, he's been closed twice once on the 9th and again the 15th, there was a sign in his shop window for at least a week beforehand.

The problem with only having a sign on his shop window doesn't mean anything to patrons going there for their first time. I am not by any means complaining but the suggestion of a Facebook page might be a good idea.

Trying to understand your directions. The Wat faces Ratchadamroen Road, so if one turns left onto Samlan Rd. (the road the Wat is on) you are driving AWAY from the Wat, not toward the Wat. Is it past where Mokador once was located?

Those directions are confusing to me too. Someone please throw some light.

• 4 weeks later...

No not yet, but after reading this thread I will definitely be heading that way to try it out this week. I'd be really ​ surprised if it's better than Pizzanpastacnx though, this is by far the best pizza I've had in Thailand.

I hope it is better though, then we have at least two awesome pizza places in CM thumbsup.gif

No not yet, but after reading this thread I will definitely be heading that way to try it out this week. I'd be really ​ surprised if it's better than Pizzanpastacnx though, this is by far the best pizza I've had in Thailand.

I hope it is better though, then we have at least two awesome pizza places in CM thumbsup.gif

I once got told I must not get around because I said MamaMia's was the best I have had in Thailand :)

But like you I enjoy a really great pizza now & then & and happy to have found one.

Will definitely try the place you mentioned too! As you say having two places would be great

Thanks

To go on a topic about Mama Mia and say another place is by far the best and you haven't even tried the one being discussed is not really fair but you do have a good attitude about hoping it is but then you say you doubt it will be better. Mouths speak louder than words! or Put you mouth where you mouth is, if you get my drift. Looking forward to hearing how you compare them after you've tried them!

Yeh you are right, I shouldn't be saying anything against Mama Mia's in this thread until I've tried it. I accept your challenge and will be heading there early next week!

The reason I commented was because I saw someone post the pizzacnx link and was surprised everyone ignored it

Sorry if I came off as challenging, as the Op was just trying to keep things constructive. As I said I'll try Pizza and Pasta (and bring the real critics, my kids) and we can compare notes here. But as you said they both might be good and you know what they say "Pizza is like sex, when it's good it's really good and when it's bad it's still pretty good!"

• Like 1

Tried it today. Thought that it was quite similar in style and quality to what you get at Yummy Pizza on Rt 121 in Chiang Mai. That means that in my book it’s within about the top 3 in Chiang Mai (which BTW is not to say that it’s amazing pizza, rather that they’ve got it more right than most others in Thailand). Some said in this thread that it was European style pizza, but the crust was pretty thick and I would have said that it was American-style pizza if others in this thread hadn’t opined otherwise.