Firefox 1.5

Tywais

I just installed Firefox 1.5 and when the window is maximized there is a large brown bar at the bottom of the screen with a red ^ at the left side. The status bar now sits on top of this empty space and can't get rid of that blank area. Anyone else have this problem. I run 1280x1024 screen but problem also exists on my 1024x768 display (2nd LCD). See screen capture below:

post-566-1133434128_thumb.jpg

Also a little warning before you decide to upgrade to 1.5, many of your extensions will probably not work until they are upgraded some time in the future.

It appears many users are having this problem after reading the Mozilla forums. Plus many other problems with version 1.5 with many going back to previous versions. Somewhere around 50% of the plugins will not work with this one or will 'break' it. Even back peddling to a previous version (which I just did) is a pain.

I would seriously recommend not upgrading at the moment and wait for the 'bugs' to be worked out. If you do/have and decide to go back to a previous version it is important that you backup your Firefox profiles first so you don't loose your bookmarks. Never had a problem with an update of Firefox until 1.5 and it was quite frustrating.

Your mileage may vary and may or may not have a problem, just my experience so far with it.

Much as l like Firefox l came to the conclusion a long time ago that it is best to wait a few weeks before upgrading if for no other reason that there always seems to be some extensions that will not work with the latest versions. I thought that might have sorted itself by now but going by the reports on assorted forums it hasn't. :o

Yes I got that at first.

To get rid of it you must instal and enable an extension.

It was either "talk back" or  "report broken link"

Seems though it is very inconsistant as to what causes the problem. Some users have some extensions when removed fix it others different extensions. Even some with no extensions & themes still have the problem. I even tried the diagostic techniques recommended such as 'safe mode' which prevents extensions/themes from loading, tried new profile which will be empty of plugins/extensions and the problem is still there.

Curious thing, I first installed it on my office computer without any of these problems except more then half of my extensions would no longer work and no upgrades to them. Figured I would try it on my home computer and got this problem. Not a happy camper about this because I lost most of my configuration info but did backup my bookmarks first. Problem with going back to 1.0x is that some 1.5 configuration files are no longer compatible with previous versions.

hi'

I downloaded it yesterday :o

once closed eveything, firefox and closed connection, update started ...

a few usual question, checked the extension(I re_connectted at that time),

and then goes on, once finished, launched it, and here we are :D

all is working nice :D

one extension which have a load of problem is Flashgot, I unstalled it long ago, all buggies disapeared like magic :D

you may check for ext upgrade after install :D

francois

hi'

I downloaded it yesterday :o

once closed eveything, firefox and closed connection, update started ...

a few usual question, checked the extension(I re_connectted at that time),

and then goes on, once finished, launched it, and here we are :D

all is working nice :D

one extension which have a load of problem is Flashgot, I unstalled it long ago, all buggies disapeared like magic :D

you may check for ext upgrade after install :D

francois

The one thing that I did differently on my office computer vs my home computer is that I let it fully complete the update checks/downloads. I aborted on my home computer due to the really long time it was taking. Maybe will try it to install again and allow the extension updates to complete. There are only a few extensions that I really want to work, TabX and PrefBar. Found an update (not formal) for TabX.

Already screwed up my configurations so a re-install isn't going to cause me more problems. :D I don't like being beaten and if I find solutions will post them here and on Mozilla forum.