Hsbc Accounts

Has anyone else received an email from HSBC requesting confirmation of personal details. The strange thing is it is from "HSBC Expat" which seems to check out with address and what have you.

But I have never had any dealings with this name/part of HSBC and they are asking me for the same type of thing I needed to open my account in the first place, which is certified passport/ID and utility bill

I have had no change of address or any details. It all seems very weird. Anyone else had this?

As a general rule, banks never ask for personal details by telephone or email. Ignore the email - it is almost certainly a scam. I have seen many 'authentic' looking requests from Lloyds TSB for personal details - they are all a scam.

This one is different in that they ask you to fill in the form and send to their address in the Isle of man , which does actually match the address on website of expat.hsbc.com

But they also ask you to send certified copy of ID and utility bill. Weird, I'm not opening a new acct.

It's a pretty sophisticated one if it is. It tells you to send to Isle of Man address which matches on the expat.hsbc.com website. But I don't bank in the Isle of Man.

I was going to send off to my relationship manager as suggested above, but have also noticed they have been a bit unusually active the past month. My guess is they are trying to surreptitiously sell me something from another branch of HSBC. Doesn't quite make sense at the moment but maybe someone else has more ideas.

I also received this email a couple of days ago and was immediately suspicious because I had only recently notified them of a change of address in writing. All of my personal information is shown correctly on the Internet banking screens, so I called their Premier helpline number and asked them if it was real or not.

They told me that it was just a "standard thing", but also said that I could verify all of my details now with them over the phone without all this nonsense of certified copies of documents. I did this and they told me that everything should be fine now and to ignore any future requests of a similar nature. I told them that in future emails of this nature, it would be nice if they explained that this process can be performed over the phone. They said they would look into it!!!!

I smell a rat, why would a bank that says it will never ask you to confirm perosnal details over the internet send you an email and ask you to confirm personal details over the internet?

I smell a rat too, but not in such that they ask you to confirm over the internet, but that they ask you to send by mail in included envelope (only got the form - no envelope haha). It is my understanding that you only need all the certified ID to actually do something as in opening new accounts. I'm just supposing that this " HSBC expat" is some kind of service within the HSBC company and as such is "recruiting " new customers. It all smells very fishy.

I smell a rat, why would a bank that says it will never ask you to confirm perosnal details over the internet send you an email and ask you to confirm personal details over the internet?

I smell a rat too, but not in such that they ask you to confirm over the internet, but that they ask you to send by mail in included envelope (only got the form - no envelope haha). It is my understanding that you only need all the certified ID to actually do something as in opening new accounts. I'm just supposing that this " HSBC expat" is some kind of service within the HSBC company and as such is "recruiting " new customers. It all smells very fishy.

I've never heard of HSBC expat and I've got several active accounts in three different countries, neither London nor Bangkok account managers have mentioned it and I see no mention of it on any HSBC web site that I use - I sense an elborate sting of some sort.

On the subject of the latter: I see there's a new piece of highly sophisticated malware out there that not only replicates your banks website and your account details but also reduces your balances on the fake web site so that apparently you will not notice that money has been taken from your account! Scary stuff.

I was going to copy some of the content here, but then noticed it says illegal to forward, disclose any part of content etc at the bottom mad.gif

It does mention HSBC Bank International Limited trading as HSBC Expat, in one part.

I also just noticed that my present relationship manager who seems to have popped up also recently sent me what he called a Thailand consent form. He said that due to recent regulations by Bank of Thailand needed to be filled out and returned before any transactions could be made. Which was I suppose , in regard to different products he was trying to offer me.

This so said consent form just basically says the bank and any of its reps can pester me at any time about their products and have the right to do so until I send written communication for it to stop.

Amazingly enough or not my new relationship manager has HSBC Expat as part of his title.

OK HSBC what are you trying to pull off?

Well you get zero out of ten for your communications job on this one HSBC!

"HSBC Expat just changed its name last December. Before that, most people people would have known it as HSBC offshore".

Yep, a bit more digging around and it seems in fact they have rebranded from HSBC offshore to HSBC Expat.

Golly I feel like I'm doing a public announcement as nobody (myself included) seems to know about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I never received any communications from them regarding this.

Sure there was info regarding the name change and a new Personal Banking Manager e-mailed to introduce herself, but I have never been asked for any details.

I smell a rat for sure

I never received any communications from them regarding this.

Sure there was info regarding the name change and a new Personal Banking Manager e-mailed to introduce herself, but I have never been asked for any details.

I smell a rat for sure

I didn't send the form off but had a look back and all seems a bit strange. They wanted the same if not more info than when I opened the acct. Certified ID and residential address and everything else.

Send it to the Isle of Man. We ll excuse me, never dealt with IOM.

All the stupid "we take your security seriously". Then why am I sending all this in an envelope! angry.png

The form is also called "know your customer" at the top!

With all those details have a strange feeling I might be signing up for something new, although not aware yet.