Street Food Drinking Etiquette Question

Sortapundit

I think it'd usually be rude to stay longer than whatever beer you're on when you finish your food. Depends on the place and what you buy though. Buying one 30 baht bowl of noodles wouldn't give you the right to sit there drinking Chang from 7-11 for 3 hours.

Just go to a Thai restaurant and drink there. By that I mean one for Thai people, not foriegners. Maybe 60 baht for a large Chang, barely more than 7-11. Lots Khao Tom places serve till morning so you can drink cheap beer and eat food all night long.

If the OP wants to save money & still drink themselves stupid everyday, he should get into the Thai rice whisky (lao kao). 90 Baht for a big bottle, and it will send you absolutley brainless.

Coming from Ullanbatter I am sure you will find it not too dissimilar to cheper vodka's.

I have to say i f i were an owner you would be kicked out pretty fast. Just a bowl of noodles and then keeping the seats occupied. Especially if i did not have many seats and there are costumers waiting. Id say you would annoy the hell out of me. On the other hand if you come every night and i have more then enough chairs. Then i would not care.

Why not go out less or drink less, going out every night is more then a bit of social life if you cant afford it.

I am wondering if this reply only applies to Halloween, inasmuch as you mention costumers.

I have to say i f i were an owner you would be kicked out pretty fast. Just a bowl of noodles and then keeping the seats occupied. Especially if i did not have many seats and there are costumers waiting. Id say you would annoy the hell out of me. On the other hand if you come every night and i have more then enough chairs. Then i would not care.

Why not go out less or drink less, going out every night is more then a bit of social life if you cant afford it.

I am wondering if this reply only applies to Halloween, inasmuch as you mention costumers.

I wonder if you have a brain and can use it ? I'm sure you understand what i meant with it. This is not my first language, i speak 4 languages and you ? Customers was what i meant.

If the OP wants to save money & still drink themselves stupid everyday, he should get into the Thai rice whisky (lao kao). 90 Baht for a big bottle, and it will send you absolutley brainless.

Coming from Ullanbatter I am sure you will find it not too dissimilar to cheper vodka's.

Good god, I used to drink that in Chiang Mai as a much younger man with a more resilient liver. In comparison the vodkas of Ulaanbaatar are smooth as silk. Lao Kao will tear your throat clean out.

Anyhoo, it looks like a mixture of finding a cheap Thai bar and spending more nights at home working even more hours is the most sensible way forward.

I wonder if you have a brain and can use it ? I'm sure you understand what i meant with it. This is not my first language, i speak 4 languages and you ? Customers was what i meant.

Sorry. Meant to include a smiey face after my comment. It was only a light-hearted comment. I speak many languages, too; I make mistakes all the time in most of them. I laugh at them myself, and some of them are so funny that I tell stories about them.

Truly no offense intended.

Edited by jshorts

There are plenty of bars selling lage bottles of beer for 50bht a go or less.

Your mistake is in targeting ex-pat and tourist areas in which to drink.

Drink in bars where only Thais go.

Sound advice!!!coffee1.gif

Sorry. Meant to include a smiey face after my comment. It was only a light-hearted comment. I speak many languages, too; I make mistakes all the time in most of them. I laugh at them myself, and some of them are so funny that I tell stories about them.

Truly no offense intended.

Ok sorry then for my remark, i thought you were flaming me. Some people like to correct the English that is written. They don't understand that for some of us it is not their native language. I do get annoyed then. Sorry for lashing out.

You ask if it's OK for 5 people walk into a restaurant, bring their own beer, order 2 bowls of noodles, stay and party all night?

Yes, Paul, that's almost word for word what my question looks like when read through a pair of 'it's too early to read questions properly, so let's just leave a sardonic reply' glasses. Thanks for playing tongue.png

I would say, don't go on holiday if you are going to act like that.

It irks me when people fly half way around the world then act broke when they get there.

laugh.png

I went out last night, sat outside a shop-front store, at a table the owner provides with some friends.

She served my friends and I all evening, although it wasn't a bar.

The lady in the shop next door served me with cooked food, oranges, nuts.

At the end of the evening, I paid for 2 large bottles of Chang, total 85bht.

The lady in the food shop didn't want any money (my friends gf).

You don't need to spend a lot of money to have fun.

This is not a matter of etiquett, it's a matter of respect to people taking their own money, rent a shop, buy furniture and equipment to serve you. How do you think the should cover their expenses i people like you don't buy anything (or minumal). If you don't have any money or anything else to contribute with (like many byuing friends) I suggest you drink your 7-11 beer in a park!

To the OP, i'm really interested in Mongolia (although i've never been there) and what its like as a place to live as an expat, how its changing now and what it might be like in a few years. So when you find a regular place to drink let me know and i'll meet you there - the drinks are on me.

To the OP, i'm really interested in Mongolia (although i've never been there) and what its like as a place to live as an expat, how its changing now and what it might be like in a few years. So when you find a regular place to drink let me know and i'll meet you there - the drinks are on me.

It'd be my pleasure :) Send me a message whenever you're free for a beer and we'll sort something out.

It'd be my pleasure smile.png Send me a message whenever you're free for a beer and we'll sort something out.

Aah.........free beers burp.gifbiggrin.png