Registration Motorbike

hadock

Hello,

i want to buy a new scooter at the yamaha dealer in Bangkok.

The yamaha dealer offer me insurance for 1000 BHT a year and will do the registration with numberplate for 1500 BHT.

That will take around two weeks he told me.

So i never done this before, i have some questions.

- can i make the registration by myself. If yes, what documents i need(i stay here on a tourist visa, and rent a condo in sukhumvit rd already). Where i have to go in BKK, how long does it take and how much does it cost?

- is 1000 BHT a year for insurance ok? Where can i buy an insurance by myself? I have to do that before or after registration?

- How about Tax? When and how much i have to pay?

- Is it a problem to drive around without numberplate and registration when i have to wait two weeks untill the registration is done from the dealer?

Thank you in advance for help.

Greets

Alex

You can do it all yourself, but it's just not worth the trouble. Pay a bit and get a real headache relieved.

The dealer should be able to provide you with a red plate to suffice riding around until full rego comes through. Just be aware that there are some restrictions on when and where you can go with the red plate.

You can do it all yourself, but it's just not worth the trouble. Pay a bit and get a real headache relieved.

The dealer should be able to provide you with a red plate to suffice riding around until full rego comes through. Just be aware that there are some restrictions on when and where you can go with the red plate.

OP is on a tourist visa. Doesn't he need a non-imm to get the bike registered in his name?

OP is on a tourist visa. Doesn't he need a non-imm to get the bike registered in his name?

Well he does need a residence certificate to register the bike in his name, so it depends on the immigration office. Some immigration offices will issue a RC on a tourist visa and some wonโ€™t. In Pattaya this is a non-issue, however Iโ€™m not sure about the immigration offices in BKK.