Family-Oriented Question

t1g3rtoes

Hello, all. I am looking into moving to Thailand in the not-so-distant future. I'm a 31yr old American with a 5-yr old son. He would be coming with me. So a few questions, for those with the Thai life experience to answer:

1. Would you consider it a good move for my son?

2. What kid activities and opportunities will he be able to advantage himself of?

3. Pros/Cons for BKK vs Chiang Mai, with respect to children? I was a bit disturbed by the lack of parks, playgrounds, etc (although not surprised, given that space is at a premium). Did I miss something? I think I spotted a modest one near JJ market, but the rest of the city seemed to be absent "kid stuff."

4. School experiences?

As the expected questions will arise: His mother and I are divorced. I have primary custody. She's moved to Australia and remarried. Any other questions pertinent to the topic, I'll be more than happy to answer.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts on the subject.

Cheers!

t1g3rtoes

Yes, Thailand, providing you choose a decent location and has enough funds to support the child’s requirements is an excellent environment for children.

But what must be taken into consideration is the financial security of the parent? And also what plan B does the parent have if everything turns pear shaped?

It`s fine if an adult wishes to take a risk and give Thailand a try, but should never include a child within the scheme unless the parent is absolutely sure he/she knows what they are doing, for the child`s sake.

My first question would be why you want to live in a big big city?

Then about the environment, I think Thailand is good for a child, the country will allow him to build up experience much faster and better than the west.

The child's future is assured if you take good care of his education (private school, possibly private tutor). The best private schools (i.e. the most expensive ones will make sure he can access any kind of international career later on if he so wishes).

If money is no object, I'd rather look at Phuket than Bangkok.

Kid activities: basically everything that's available elsewhere, with a big bonus if you are near the ocean

Edited by manarak

My answers and experiance are based on the assumption that you have enough funds for the 2 of you to stay in Thailand if not, at 31yr forget it, this would be my opinion.

Ans:- I would say no but I can only base my answer on the one young american lad here I know, he like's Thailand but he does not want to stay here, he is 9yrs old, America has to be better.

2. What kid activities and opportunities will he be able to advantage himself of?

Ans:- Soccer, basket ball, bicycle rides, computers, riding motorbikes, school outing field trips but it would be of advantage for him to learn at least the most basic's of Thai language.

3. Pros/Cons for BKK vs Chiang Mai, with respect to children? I was a bit disturbed by the lack of parks, playgrounds, etc (although not surprised, given that space is at a premium). Did I miss something? I think I spotted a modest one near JJ market, but the rest of the city seemed to be absent "kid stuff."

Ans:- Hard to say again IMO Chiang Mai at a guess.

4. School experiences?

Ans:- I have only 2 examples 1 girl and the 9 yr old boy I know.

The girl was taught in the Philippines up to 13 yrs her dad was US based there now 14 yr once she had learn a lot of Thai she quite likes the school here it's very easy not hard work, I wonder what qualifications she will end up with, I would say that she will have to leave Thailand to further her education.

The Boy finds it hard and mostly gets his main education at home of an evening.

Best of luck for you and your boys future hope things work out OK.

Edited by Kwasaki

Hi all, and thanks for the responses. I was pleasantly surprised by the promptness and the thought put into each.

Beetle: Per finances: I have enough that we would be able to set up shop for a number of years w/ negligible income if necessary. I have a few contacts that I've already made a few months back, when I initially went on a fact-finding trip to Bkk. I'm interested primarily in starting my own small business. Should things be the worst of all possible worlds, it wouldn't be difficult to turn tail and return to the States. That said, I would make the move only when I felt assured that I shouldn't be availing myself of that option; both because I would like very much for it to work out, and also because I wouldn't want to cause continued instability for my son.

I have considered the difficulties that both of us will encounter with assimilating into a new culture. I'm sure there will be some bumps along the way, but I think that a child who has family in three continents, speaks four languages (he already has spanish and english, I would venture that a Thai school would give him rudimentary French to go along with the given, Thai), and has had the cultural exposure that would be fitting for a global citizen would have a leg up in the world. I just want to get the nod from the expat community in Thailand if this is, indeed, the case (or the nix if there are red flags to be considered).

Manarak: Business-wise, it behooves me to be in BKK. I can make business ideas work from Chiang Mai or another larger city, but I'm hesitant to go full-on rural. Not that I don't enjoy small town life, but there would be less opportunity and less chances of landing in a niche that would fit us. In the big city, finding a comfortable hole is something like "first you don't succeed, etc"...in the small town, you typically only get one good shot. That said, I would like to keep options open on all accounts at the moment. You seem to see some merit in the small-town life, Manarak. What has you convinced that I should view it as a viable choice for someone in my situation.

Kwasaki, thank you for your input on it. Btw, should I take it that the children you are referencing make their home in Sukhothai?

Samsiam: Outside of BKK and Chiang Mai, where would you suggest I look to plant my proverbial flag? If I may ask, where have you "nested" yourself?

Again, thanks to all for your time and consideration.

Have you done any research on the many restrictions, as a foreigner, on starting a business in Thailand?

Also, what kind of visa and extensions are you planning to use to remain in Thailand?

Not trying to spoil your day, but there are many hoops to jump through, some of which might decide you to look at a different country.

Don't get me wrong, Thailand is a great place to live, but their rules and regulations are not exactly designed to be foreign worker friendly.

Of course there are legal ways to make money here without much hassle, such as investing in the local stock market - IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Then there are people who fly 'under the radar' by operating an internet based business from home. Not sure that is a very good option if you have a young son in tow.

Whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.

Manarak: Business-wise, it behooves me to be in BKK. I can make business ideas work from Chiang Mai or another larger city, but I'm hesitant to go full-on rural. Not that I don't enjoy small town life, but there would be less opportunity and less chances of landing in a niche that would fit us. In the big city, finding a comfortable hole is something like "first you don't succeed, etc"...in the small town, you typically only get one good shot. That said, I would like to keep options open on all accounts at the moment. You seem to see some merit in the small-town life, Manarak. What has you convinced that I should view it as a viable choice for someone in my situation.

I'm a city guy, I like the city.

I too want to move to Thailand, but my wife has been hesitant for the last 3 years, 2 weeks ago she said she reached the decision to go, and today she's gain undecided...

Anyway, I would settle in the Pattaya suburbs. Bangkok is only 2 hours away, and the Regent's School along with other private schools is established in Pattaya with a full international cursus for the children.

If the future of the child is important for you, spend the money on education. Thai schools don't cut it (international school is absolutely necessary if you want your son to be able to attend a US university later) and as far as French is concerned, I met only very few Thais who spoke some words of French.

There is the ocean nearby, to have a boat and to visit the beaches. There is always something to do if one is near the ocean.

And Pattaya or Phuket aren't full-on rural. There are foreigner-oriented shops everywhere, both offer everything that a big city has (except metro and skytrain).

The big advantage, as I said, is the ocean - Phuket and Pattaya have at the same time private schools AND places where you can enjoy paradise.

Bangkok... not so.

Your choice of a city seems to be mainly influenced by business opportunities.

My business is internet, so I can do it from everywhere if there is an internet connection. I plan to setup or acquire a small company with 4 employees for internet work.

It seems you still haven't an idea what type of business you would setup.

You say you want to set up a small business, but remember that compared with other Thai businesses and based on how much you need to earn, your business will be a "big small business".

Also, you need 4 Thai employees to get a work permit.

I can only advise you to bring lots of money and to carefully plan your business.

colin-

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm painfully aware that there are a number of hoops for this dog to jump thru to run a business from thailand. I have two things in mind that I would be involved in- one is more niche (exotic fish), which I have the experience and contacts for, and as a hobbyist, I would be involved in it anyway. There would be permits, etc to be acquired, in any case. Secondly, and more to the bread-and-butter of the thing, my educational focus and job exp is geared towards working with a plastics inj molding company and shipping product to the states. This would be something that I have already made movements to get the ball rolling on, whether I end up planting flag in Thailand or staying in the US.

In terms of visas: Honestly, I haven't looked too far into it. I know there is alot of rigamarole involved for me (although my son would seem to not face the same issues). I have been told that contracting to teach a few hrs a wk at a school would do the trick, although the movements must still be made and hassles must still be dealt with.

My parents are retired, and as I am an only child (and my son an only grandchild), I can't see them not seriously considering the move if we decide to go. My mother, especially, is well-travelled, and I could see the retired life in Thailand being something that they would enjoy. How does the visa situation look for older folks?

Manarak-

Thanks for the food for thought. I hope you can persuade the missus to take the leap with you.

I haven't seen much of rural Thailand. It seems to me that Phuket or Pattaya (which I have built up in my imagination as tourist traps) are ideally located. If they have enough expat-friendly accoutrement, I would certainly want to consider that. Who WOULDN'T want to be oceanfront, so long as it isn't accompanied by an exorbitantly high pricetag.

Per the schools: yes, I'd heard that specific int'l schools were the move to make for my son's education. Based on the word on the street, it might be the only way to fly.

Kwasaki, thank you for your input on it. Btw, should I take it that the children you are referencing make their home in Sukhothai?

Yes, they do live just outside Sukhothai, there father is Hawaiian in the military and in 2 yrs is due for retirement, the short of it is, from living Hawaii, to Singapore and then to the Philippines and now Thailand.

Their mother is Thai and comes from the village and they are building their house on her family land.

The mother has a job here now teaching English, so when the father retires it's all set for them but for the childrens future who know's.

From what you have been saying is a dream for you at the moment but to make it reality is what is going to be in the test of time, I see your situation very different to my friends and personally if I were you I would come to Thailand alone and set yourself up, leaving your son in stable hands with his grandparents if that option is available.

Bringing you son along at this time at the tender age of 5yrs old to a road to uncertainty I don't think is a good idea.

I hope you do not take this reply as in a harsh one but only one of concern. I wish you well with your decision. K

Persons over 50 can easily get a visa and extensions of stay, if they have an income of 65,000 baht a month or 800,000 baht in abank account in Thailand, or a combination of the two.

One thing you might need to consider regarding your parents is health care insurence, which for over 70 years old I believe is not easy to get. Another factor is that we don't all age well. And when people start to forget things, etc, it might be better for them to be in an enviorement where they speak your parents language. Of course it doesn't have to happen, but you should think about what to do in that case.

Mario- food for thought, yes. As it stands now, neither of my parents wants to make the move. They are both pretty comfortable here. But given the size of the family, I'm not sure that they'd be willing to let us move abroad without coming along.

kwasaki- no exception taken to your comments and suggestions, thanks for the concern.

if nothing else, i had anticipated spending a few months solo to get set up before my son would join me. I can't imagine that going thru the rigors of setting up a place for the both of us, getting the ball rolling with work, sifting thru paperwork and visas, etc would be anything short of next to impossible with him in tow from the onset.

kwasaki- no exception taken to your comments and suggestions, thanks for the concern.

if nothing else, i had anticipated spending a few months solo to get set up before my son would join me. I can't imagine that going thru the rigors of setting up a place for the both of us, getting the ball rolling with work, sifting thru paperwork and visas, etc would be anything short of next to impossible with him in tow from the onset.

Well I'm sure you know there are relative forums here for visa info and business, goodluck. K