Dual Wan Router'S

nullx8

since it's hard to find something decent arround here ..

does anyone have experience with dual WAN Routers ?

i have a eye on the DrayTek 2910 or Cisco/ Linksys RV042

but no idea they avaiable arround here or doing any good ...

so maybe there are some trustworthy other products out there avaiable in thailand ?

where trustworthy defined by actual experience ;)

Cheers

bought a Linksys RV042 a year ago. never got it working. thread with details exists:

Well most reviews i have found pointing more to the 2910 ... But the local sellers charge 300% of the original price. Where the cisco going as normal.

what is your goal: redundency, load balancing or increasing your bandwith?

Primary: Redundancy

And some use of the secound line in the meantime so its redundancy at first followed by bandwith increase.

If you have an old pc lying somewhere, just buy a decent NIC (single port Intel ~THB500, dual port ~THB750) and put pfsense on it [ pfsense.org ], it'll do the job for failover/balancing (and much more). To combine bandwidth, I'd go with linux, I've seen recent additions in the kernel that would certainly help (NET_TEAM)

If you have an old pc lying somewhere ...

if that would be the case ... i would go with Endian or somethings ... but i prefer a hardware do the job so i can see on the LED what is going on ...

buying a PC, Switch, 3nic's whatever probably cost the same as a hardware (based on european pricing models)

exept i would find a small box with a Blackfin or Motorola CPU and enough NIC's avaiable, then i would just do it myself ...

but well i guess it's harder to find than a overpriced 2WAN Router. ;)

If you have an old pc lying somewhere, just buy a decent NIC (single port Intel ~THB500, dual port ~THB750) and put pfsense on it [ pfsense.org ], it'll do the job for failover/balancing (and much more). To combine bandwidth, I'd go with linux, I've seen recent additions in the kernel that would certainly help (NET_TEAM)

thanks for your valuable advice. i'm now going out to buy a NIC and then put pfsense on it. but first i have to locate my gardener and ask him to explain what a "NIC" is and how to "put pfsense" on it.

to show my appreciation for your advice you may ask me a few questions what specific parts of quantum physics you don't understand which i will then explain. ph34r.png

p.s. on demand i will mail you my dissertation (dated nov 1971). surely you are interested in Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and its bordering problems?

Edited by Naam

RV016 is probably the same (software wise) as the 42 ...

so it works well in balancing mode ... and in case of a disconnect there is no real config required ?

but what about hardcoded wan routes ?

i have seen the software is not very complex in this matters.

on the DrayTek even this rules can be dynamic or jhalf dynamic .... but the ciscos only have hard destinations ...

no indication whats happens if the wan port it suppose to go to goes down ..

well that is a minor thing i guess ...

and since the Cisco's are basically avaiable (i checked 2 hours ago in fortune) anywhere for arround 4000 baht .. i guess this will be the choice .

putting a NIC in a PC is out of the question since i have multiple devices are using the same connectivity ..

only other option would be to get a machine for this pourpose ... but this may more expensive and more trouble as well i guess .. (not sure)

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'd highly recommend to put pfsense on your lying PC, not your NIC.

i didn't expect that you have any idea what i am talking about and neither do i have an idea what you were talking about.

I used Linksys RV042 and found it trouble free until I upgraded my line to 100 Mbps, then it couldn't cope.

I then tried a NETGEAR FVS336G which also couldn't cope.

And now a Billion 7800N is doing a reasonable job, but still cant get max speed.

Previously, I was using failover config with a 16 meg TRUE ADSL line with a Sophon cable line, and it was fine.

But I tend to agree with the poster who suggested using an old PC.

p.s. on demand i will mail you my dissertation (dated nov 1971). surely you are interested in Heisenberg's uncertainty principle and its bordering problems?

Funny thing is that I find these problems extremely interesting, as well as knowing about NICs, pfSense etc :) So I would welcome a trade of information.

schrodingerscat.jpg?cb5e28

• Like 1

I used Linksys RV042 and found it trouble free ....

Well i have "just" 4 connection reqirements.

- adsl 3BB 8M

- adsl True 16M

- vpn to office

- a few inbound ports to 3 different machines

3bb has the great advantage that it is very stable (i can stay logged on via SSH for days without broken pipes) but the speed is So so

True is fast but never stable

Stable not in terms of adsl disconnect, more a infrastructure thing.

Thats why i'm thinking about combining them.

At the moment i have just 2 modems with different ip in the same network and decide the usage by change the default gateway ip.

This works good enough as failover.

But cuts one of the advantages out.

Its either fast or stable. I was hoping with load balancing and some more config (protocol based) to use both of the features.

But there is no indication what is happening to my config if one line failing.

On the drytek routers you can set like "wan1 first"

So in case wan1 failing the connection will be established via wan2 even if the rule is set to wan1.

Ciscos do not have this way of setting it up.

Gives me worries that in case of wan failure i may have to change the config.

Which would be very anoying.

Funny thing is that I find these problems extremely interesting, as well as knowing about NICs, pfSense etc smile.png So I would welcome a trade of information.

then let's make a deal you come to my house, install the dual-wan gizmo while i read aloud for you the most interesting parts of my dissertation and once you finished "sensing the NICS" we sit down and have an excellent meal as well as one, or perhaps two, bottles of good wine.

A cost-effective yet flexible solution could be using virtualization. You just need a few NICs, that's all. That should cover your needs + you'll get Gigabit Ethernet.

Optional: sacrifice schrodinger's cat and serve it as a delicious and nutritious meal

Funny thing is that I find these problems extremely interesting, as well as knowing about NICs, pfSense etc smile.png So I would welcome a trade of information.

then let's make a deal you come to my house, install the dual-wan gizmo while i read aloud for you the most interesting parts of my dissertation and once you finished "sensing the NICS" we sit down and have an excellent meal as well as one, or perhaps two, bottles of good wine.

Sounds excellent, unfortunately I'll be in BKK for the next couple of weeks. But when I come visit PTY next time, I'll let you know in advance and if you still need this setup I'll be happy to assist.

Found a Solution,

After alot of digging arround, i found a shop in Laksi plaza sell Routerboards i got a 750 for 2700 Baht (comes with 4 fully configurable wan/lan ports)

Pbx, failover, loadbalance & vpn works at a glance.

Sounds excellent, unfortunately I'll be in BKK for the next couple of weeks. But when I come visit PTY next time, I'll let you know in advance and if you still need this setup I'll be happy to assist.

deal!