Advice For Newb From Us ( Want Possible 3-6 Months Stay)

First off- 26 year old male, citizen of the United States. Currently living in the United States (Detroit, Michigan). B.B.A in Marketing from a legit US college. No teaching experience

I have been doing research for the past week about taking an extended trip to Thailand. The more I read about the place, the more I like what I read. I want to go to Thailand to first have a bit of fun/vacay. But while I am over there, I also wanted to see what the teaching scene was like, if only a way to supplement living in thailand longer! I am open to anything really. I am thinking of doing a quick online TEFL course to get at least the basic cert.

I don't exactly know if I would even want to stay in country longer than 30 days, but I do know that I want the potential if I decide I want to stay a while.

What is the best way to obtain a double or triple entry tourist Visa? ( I heard the Thai Embassy in Washing DC is good about giving out doubles entrys)

Do I just mail in what is required?

I would use the Honary Consulete in either Houston or Portland. Reports indicate that they are very friendly. It can be done by express delivery service (Fed EX, DHL) in a couple of days. I recently helped someone that used Houston. A copy of the requirements are below. He purchased an onward ticket from Hat Yai, Thailand to KL, about $60, to meet the outbound ticket requiremnet, but when he contacted them they never asked for it. I would send them an e-mail and find out exactly what their requirements are now, they change often without notice. PM me if you want more info. Goodluck!

Visa application procedures , Houston Texas.doc

Edited by wayned

Thanks for the fast reply and document link Wayned! :)

Should I ask for a 2 entry? 3 entry? how do I know if I am accepted or denied. Forgive the ignorance, I am doing tons of research but am still a new traveler.

I understand that a visa is usually stamped into your passport? am I totally wrong on that? Since I am doing this by mail before I leave in my home country, what kind of documentation do I get ? Basically, what is the visa?

Thanks for putting up with me, hoping to learn a lot more from this site! Great site by the way.

Travis from Detroit

No reason why you should be denied if you supply the proper documentation and money. You will know when they return your visa.

If you use the visa properly, you can get almost 180 days from a double and 270 days from a triple. The key is using the visa properly! The 6 months validity of the visa starts the date that it is issued - like a six monthe bus pass . So you should enter Thailand as soon after the visa is issued. Wirh a double you should get 180 days with no problem. With a triple, you must use your third entry before the "must enter by" date stamped on the visa.

The first time that you enter, you will get 60 days permission to stay. That can be extended in Thailand for another 30 days - cost 1900 baht. Then you must leave and re-enter.

The second time you enter, You will get 60 + 30. (therefore 180 days)

The trick on a triple entry is that you must leave and re-enter before the "must enter date" on your VISA, not the "permission to stay until" date stamped in your passport. If you enter the first time immediately after the day the visa is issued, you will get the maximun time (almost 270 days)

I know it sounds complicated but it really isn't, it's just understanding the difference between the visa and the permission to stay stamp in your pasport, they are two seperate things!

• Like 1

I am doing the research now as we speak. I just caught on that I must mail my actual passport to the embassy for them to stamp? Does this worry only myself? So i mail my passport to the Thai consulate/embassy, they stamp and mail it back to me? Do I just provide return shipping cost? How exactly do I coordinate the return of my passport?

EDIT- Thanks, questions answered! Anyone have any luck with Washington DC Embassy? Do I have a better chance only asking for a double entry versus a triple?

Edited by FiscalFizz

I am not sure about your visa questions but wanted to say that you have right attitude, since you want to visit just short period first and get taste of it and with vacation mentality. There is just so many guys with too high expectations. Good luck! =)

One last question/concern- My current address that I live at is not the same as my address listed on my passport. Will this be a problem when trying to attain a visa? On my visa application, I have to put my current address. My passport address is the same state as my current adress, just the next town over. The passport doesn't expire until 2014

Edited by FiscalFizz

I sent you the information about the Consulate in Houston. Be proactive and either e-mail them or call them and ask them "exactly" what you need to send and how to handle the return of your passport. They do it everyday. I haven't been to the US since 1998, but I e-mailed them, on behalf of someone in the US, one day and received a detailed answer the next.