Ditching Chiang Mai For Isaan........Please Advise.

Thighlander

Chiang Mai has been good to me, and I've spent over two years there over the last 6 years. I think it very well may be on the decline...the more you get to the city center; the more it loses its Lana charm. So I am seriously considering Isaan for my upcoming three month trip. Keep in mind, when I travel, the trip from the States is so long that I really like to get someplace and stay put. The temples start looking very similar after a while. Not looking for 200 bar girls or 10,000 uni girls, but something kind of in between will do just fine. I have confidence in my ability to communicate and get around town. Would Khon Kaen be a safe bet? Any other suggestions? I'm single, mid 40s, businessman, etc.. I'd rather do three beers in a plastic chair, than one in a fancy place any day of the week. I also like spicy thai food, and have very few cravings for Western food.

Mahasarakham or Siasaket are nice.

Check them out.

how would Sirin compare with Sisaket?

Surin has much more to offer. rolleyes.gif

I recommend Ubon Ratchathani, with Moon (Mun) river running through, and the Mekong "half an hour" away. Border crossings to Laos and Cambodia within easy reach.

Airport with direct flights to Bkk, Phuket and Chiang Mai.

Beautiful national parks along the borders, very friendly people around and good food everywhere. biggrin.png

• Like 1

Easy answer: Ubon Ratchathani. Just barely enough foreign food delights to satisfy that rare craving you mentioned. Almost no tourists. Melting pot of spicy Thai, Laos and Vietnamese influenced food. Several gorgeous national parks. Direct flights to Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket. Big city with a small town feel. Easy access to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam for the ocassional adventure. I've made the switch from CM to Ubon before. It was a very good decision.

Easy answer: Ubon Ratchathani. Just barely enough foreign food delights to satisfy that rare craving you mentioned. Almost no tourists. Melting pot of spicy Thai, Laos and Vietnamese influenced food. Several gorgeous national parks. Direct flights to Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket. Big city with a small town feel. Easy access to Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam for the ocassional adventure. I've made the switch from CM to Ubon before. It was a very good decision.

Agreed. If I wasn't so entrench and enamoured with Surin, I might choose Ubon. Pleasant city and country combo.

You need look no further than Mukdahan.

Well perhaps just one province further..... Ubon!

Yes, Ubon is the ducks nucks - see Memock, I'm learning!

But don't praise it too much, we have a nice balance of locals and expats already mate.

• Like 1

the Mekong "half an hour" away.

You can barely get to Phibun in 30 minutes. lol

ubonorthai, you surely have never seen bergen driving then 5555

only kiddin bergen

scotty

I'm not known for my slow driving! biggrin.png

You need look no further than Mukdahan.

Well perhaps just one province further..... Ubon!

Yes, Ubon is the ducks nucks - see Memock, I'm learning!

But don't praise it too much, we have a nice balance of locals and expats already mate.

Now you understand why I didn't mention Surin.

I noticed KK has KKU and Singha Brewery, that sure would make for a big party in the States. Some great bars near CMU and always felt comfortable there, even as an older guy. Is it like that in KK. What is the Uni scene like in Ubon. What about sheer size diffs in KK and UR?

If it's fellow Farang circles you seek, Buriram works well. Quite a substantial and well-established Farang community along with the usual Western-oriented infrastructure: pubs, restaurants, food outlets, specialty shops, gathering places, etc - all for kindred sorts.

Buriram rural can still be lovely and the city isn't overwhelming.

Someone mentioned before a "nice balance" of expats in Ubon, which is true as the three expat bars are hardly filled with "mongers" every night of the week. Furthermore it reached a AAA respectability rating when a certain Christmas Tree thief was run out of town giggle.gif

• Like 1

I had heard that KK was a better choice over Korat.

From my observations and experience, Korat is dirty and more difficult to navigate.

Khon Kaen [city] has a more centre of the universe to it.

Interestingly enough, one would consider KK to be a haven for Farang-types. But nay, Locales as Ubon, Udon, Korat, and even Buriram have a larger concentration of Western residents compared to KK.

Korat is a large(ish) place to get around in, its busy and the traffic is mad most of the time. Saying that, there is quite a lot there also and you can find almost anything you could need. I wouldn't say it's an attractive place but it's a long way better from where I,ve come from ( Rotherham, UK ).

We ( my missus and I ) have a house in Korat but seldom stay there ( work outside Thailand ). When we are back we split our time between there and the hills that run from the Pak Chong Chai amphur to the Sungnerng amphur, the views across to Khao Yai national park on one side and out towards Sikhu and Korat on the otherside are awesome. Plus it's quite cool. Have two houses there.

I fact I'll be there next week !! Yippee!!

I am also looking to make the switch from CM to possibly Ubon or Sisaket. Wife has sister in Sisaket. Would probably prefer Ubon but not sure of the facilities there or Sisake, ie houses to rent, immigration access (90 Day and Visa renewal), local expat social activities, retired military organizations, Am. Legion, VFW. Am member of the VFW here in Chiang Mai. Would like to transfer membership or possibly organize a post. Basically I would like to know everything there is to know about Ubon or Sisaket. Was stationed at Ubon RTAB in the late 60's. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Korat is a large(ish) place to get around in, its busy and the traffic is mad most of the time. Saying that, there is quite a lot there also and you can find almost anything you could need. I wouldn't say it's an attractive place but it's a long way better from where I,ve come from ( Rotherham, UK ).

We ( my missus and I ) have a house in Korat but seldom stay there ( work outside Thailand ). When we are back we split our time between there and the hills that run from the Pak Chong Chai amphur to the Sungnerng amphur, the views across to Khao Yai national park on one side and out towards Sikhu and Korat on the otherside are awesome. Plus it's quite cool. Have two houses there.

Are you talking about Pak Chong or Pak Thong Chai ?

Pak Chong is very nice, Pak Thong Chai much less, but it's just a personal opinion.

Are you talking about Pak Chong or Pak Thong Chai ?

Pak Chong is very nice, Pak Thong Chai much less, but it's just a personal opinion.

Hi.

I'm referring to the "ridge" that runs North West / South East from near Pak Chong to wards Pak Thong Chai or Wang Nam Khiao to be precise.

As you approach Korat ( from Bangkok ) on highway 2 and pass by Pak Chong, on your right there is a high ridge that stretches off into the distance (towards Wang Nam Khiao).

Its the areas on top of that ridge that I mention.

In fact the boundary of both Amphurs of Pak Thong Chai and Sungnerng meet. On the Pak Thong Chai side there is dense forest, yet on the Sungnerng side there are villages and a lot of farming.

It is quite a wild place, far from the madding crowd.

Edited by soihok

Mahasarakham or Siasaket are nice.

Check them out.

how would Sirin compare with Sisaket?

Surin has much more to offer. rolleyes.gif

I recommend Ubon Ratchathani, with Moon (Mun) river running through, and the Mekong "half an hour" away. Border crossings to Laos and Cambodia within easy reach.

Airport with direct flights to Bkk, Phuket and Chiang Mai.

Beautiful national parks along the borders, very friendly people around and good food everywhere. biggrin.png

But Ubon has no McDonalds or B. King. sad.png