Thai Govt In Damage Control On Terror

webfact

UPDATE:

13.30: DPM Kowit: Government can take care of people's security and they need not be concerned about the terrorist warning issued by several foreign countries /BKK Post

------

TERROR

Govt in damage control on terror

Piyanart Srivalo,

Samuscha Hunsara

The Nation

30173803-01_big.jpg

After Chalerm's chaotic response, officials say situation under control, criticise US alert as hasty

The Yingluck government yesterday appeared to adjust its public relations strategy involving terrorism threats, after concerns arose that Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung's hasty remarks in the wake of the latest US warning could have made things worse.

Government leaders yesterday held a press conference to allay the anxieties, saying security authorities were on top of the situation to ensure the country remains a safe tourist destination.

The press conference was organised after Chalerm's off-the-cuff remarks prompted fears they could backfire to fuel terrorist activities.

"Security officials, such as those from the police, the military and intelligence agencies, have been monitoring the situation and it is not their duty to reveal whether any suspicious individuals are travelling through Thailand," Deputy Prime Minister Kowit Wattana said, arguing that hasty disclosure would have caused unwarranted concern.

Kowit appeared to downplay Chalerm's comments regarding the police interview of a Lebanese man as a person of interest.

Kowit said that at this juncture, the government and officials could keep the situation under control - and there was no cause for concern that Bangkok could be a target for an international terrorist attack.

Echoing Kowit, Defence Minister Yuthasak Sasiprapha said intelligence and security agencies had been alerted to possible Hezbollah activities last month.

Authorities did not arrest a man considered suspicious because it was deemed futile to take him into custody before evidence of a crime became clear, Yuthasak said.

"Thai intelligence and security officials had an understanding with their Israeli and American counterparts that the situation would be monitored in a discreet manner so as not to stir unwarranted anxiety," he said.

The US Embassy's no-nonsense warning on its home page on Friday - that US citizens in Thailand faced a serious, immediate terrorist threat - prompted a swift, albeit somewhat confusing, denial from the Yingluck government. It is the first dent in a seemingly smooth bilateral relationship since the changing of the political guard in Thailand after last year's election.

Yuthasak reprimanded the United States for making a unilateral disclosure in a travel warning wrongly pinpointing Bangkok as a potential terrorist target.

The US had acted in panic because of a mistaken suspicion an attack was poised to happen on January 13-15 and its action adversely impacted on Thailand, he said.

"I would like to confirm that Thailand is [not] a terrorist target," he said. Although terrorist suspects might have maintained activities in Bangkok, which is known in security jargon as a soft target, they were taking advantage of Thailand's free society, rather than staging an attack on the country, he said.

All suspicious individuals had departed Thailand and any attempts to stir up trouble had been foiled, he said.

He said the initial alert about a terrorist plot mentioned two individuals. One was detained after officials located him via his use of the Internet. Another fled the country.

The detained man told police about the Hezbollah plot. After giving his statement, he was deported. The man was identified as Hussein Artris, a Lebanese man holding a Swedish passport, according to Israel News.

His fugitive accomplice was believed to be Naim Haris, a Hezbollah operative.

Foreign Minister Surapong Towichukchaikul denied speculation his ministry would summon and lodge a protest with US Ambassador Kristie Kenney.

Surapong said he had voiced his disappointment that the US did not consult the Thai government before issuing the travel warning but did not mention a protest.

At the prime minister's instruction, he would today launch an awareness campaign that the terrorist anxiety was unwarranted, he said, adding his ministry would also clarify the true situation with foreign governments. Some 14 countries had already alerted their citizens about the potential terrorist attack.

Government House officials said Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra was displeased that Chalerm had gone overboard in disclosing sensitive details about international terrorism.

Chalerm was curiously absent from yesterday's mobile Cabinet meeting in Chiang Mai, although his aides claimed he stayed behind in the capital in order to monitor the situation.

Following the mobile meeting, Yingluck pledged to ensure safety for the tourism industry and foreign visitors. She said the police, military and National Security Council were working around the clock to foil any terrorist plots.

Foreign Affairs spokesman Thani Thongpakdi said Thailand was disappointed the US had opted to issue its travel alert before consulting the Thai authorities.

"Despite the close monitoring [of the situation] and mutual cooperation between the two countries, the travel warning was issued with a direct impact on Thailand," he said.

Officials would seek to form an understanding on the issue with the US, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-16

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The detained man told police about the Hezbollah plot."

If there was a Hezbollah plot, involving Thailand, how does that make a statement that Bangkok is a POTENTIAL target alarmist non-sense scare tactics.

What WAS the plot?

"The detained man told police about the Hezbollah plot."

If there was a Hezbollah plot, involving Thailand, how does that make a statement that Bangkok is a POTENTIAL target alarmist non-sense scare tactics.

What WAS the plot?

Seems it was a language problem and the Hezbolla guy said he had come to Bangkok for a Blow-up..... He got the second word wrong...!!! Bad Job...!

When I wrote about it here: yesterday I didn't mention that I saw the news-report with...'PTP voters'. They became highly agitated and complained the US [Embassy] for 'making Thailand look bad' instead of 'talking to Government'.

The press conference didn't contain some 'perhaps'/'softer' words, these where strict complaints without doubt of how wrong the US [Embassy] was.

Governments in most countries including US do not inform the public of Terrorists plots. Why?

To avoid mass panic just like what happened in Thailand.

P.s. when was the last terrorist attack in Thailand aimed at foreign tourists?

Edited by monkfish

It is not so hard to understand if looked at....

If your country is dependent to some degree for income via tourism....Then some

declaration is made that impacts that income without enough facts based in reality...

Well you too may be scrambling to clear up the misconception that is causing a loss of income.

Think not?

Lets say someone calls in your name, or your banks name or your employers name in to X authorities saying they know it is linked to terror & are plotting something.....

Now your government shuts your bank accounts, ATM's, job,bank, business etc. Until they can suss out if it is true.

You meanwhile are fine with that temporary loss of income because better safe than sorry?

Or instead would you be upset that they did not have more concrete info/facts nor did they ever contact you first to

ask any questions?

Yeah it cuts both ways

Of course everyone likes to be safe & wants warnings of impending doom.

But at the same time have some facts & proofs before causing others grief/loss of income & yes even causing yourself

loss of credibility.

How many *possible* attacks have been reported in the last year?

If & when one actually occurs there sadly will be many who think it is another false alarm

Edited by flying
  • Like 1

Sorry but I think an Embassy has the right to warn it's countrymen and women about things, if the Thai people found out by clicking on the Embassy website then that is upto them. If the Goverment says there is no need to worry, but sends out troops to patrol areas and carry out searches then obviously there is something to worry about.

declaration is made that impacts that income without enough facts based in reality...

Well you too may be scrambling to clear up the misconception that is causing a loss of income.

Think not?

Lets say someone calls in your name, or your banks name or your employers name in to X authorities saying they know it is linked to terror & are plotting something.....

Now your government shuts your bank accounts, ATM's, job,bank, business etc. Until they can suss out if it is true.

You meanwhile are fine with that temporary loss of income because better safe than sorry?

Or instead would you be upset that they did not have more concrete info/facts nor did they ever contact you first to

ask any questions?

Yeah it cuts both ways

But at the same time have some facts & proofs before causing others grief/loss of income & yes even causing yourself

loss of credibility.

If & when one actually occurs there sadly will be many who think it is another false alarm

"

How many *possible* attacks have been reported in the last year?"

How many terrorists warning were issued by the US Embassy here? I can't seem to recall the last time this happened. This is not something they do on a weekly basis. It happens rarely and as such, the threat has to be credible.

Governments in most countries including US do not inform the public of Terrorists plots. Why?

To avoid mass panic just like what happened in Thailand.

P.s. when was the last terrorist attack in Thailand aimed at foreign tourists?

That's true. But then most civilised governments don't have an incompentant bunch of ministers running the country nor a useless police force to deal with the terrorist threat.

Oh and before Bali was bombed, I can't seem to remember when the last terrorist attack was aimed at foreign tourists there either.

Well two of the suspects have now been arrested so I guess the threat is over.

But seems the Terrorists won because they did achieve "Terror" which was probably the goal.

How many times have you gone to a restaurant like McDonalds or Food court in paragon (for example), and seen someone place a bag on a table to reserve it and walk away, what would happen if that bag contained a bomb.

People need to be educated about terrorism, maybe things like this will help educate them, but I very much doubt it.

Unlike Americans and Brits Thai's aren't brick scared of empty bags in public places probably because they don't have enemies.

But seems Terrorism has now been imported into to Thailand so I would really advice avoiding places like McDonalds or where US citizens hang out.

Think not?

ask any questions?

Yeah it cuts both ways

loss of credibility.

Precisely! That's why I mentioned the Cry Wolf bit. A couple of potentially shady characters being seen in Thailand does not justify putting out a worldwide news feed (and it is know far and wide already) making Thailand look unsafe for Americans.

Legitimate warnings, if truly a REAL threat exists, are one thing. This is more hokum and I find it interesting that this comes shortly after our Few and Proud did their childish act. Could this be some sort of sick misdirecting to try and justify the Marines not taking the moral high ground and simply showing at least some discression instead of this moronic eye for an eye, they did worst to us mentality. I wish the World Police would stay home. Lord knows they've got enough of a problem on their own soil.

• Like 1

While it's obviously hard to work out the real facts in this case, one thing does stand out. The Thais arrest someone connected to a possible bomb attack in Bangkok aimed at a soft target (no lack of those for a motivated fundamentalist), and he is deported, while his accomplice "escapes". It's as if he played music in a bar without a work permit or overstayed his tourist visa.

Smells like the Thai authorities were sweeping this under the carpet; " can't upset the tourist high season or draw attention to our lax security and plethora of targets". The US embassy warning could then have been either an expression of US frustration at Thai handling of the incident, or a misunderstanding of how the Thais were handling the situation (ie if the Thais appeared not to be responding to the threat identified by Israel somebody had to do something).

All idle speculation about a highly complex and sensitive issue, but sadly one that cannot be ignored by the authorities or residents. The involvement of Hizbollah suggests an Israeli/Jewish target may have been the objective, but we now live in an untidy nexus of militant fundamentalists with cross-pollination between different groups rather like the anti-capitalist, anti-US/Israel terror groups of the 1970's (Baader-Meinhoff/Red Army Faction, Japanese Red Army, PFLP/PLO etc). The classic example of this was the Lod Airport Massacre in 1972, outsourced by the Palestinians to the Japanese Red Army, as they were less recognizable as a threat in an Israeli context.

Terrorist have always had a love for airline related targets due to their media impact, and that coupled with possible tie ups with the insurgents down south, does make one think.

Forewarned is forearmed, since we are being proverbial here.

I'd much rather be warned in case something does get successfully pulled off by terrorists, than by going about my business in ignorant bliss and am harmed for my ignorance. We know they do do this stuff, and not always in places we expect it, for the obvious reasons they are soft targets and create greater fear and outrage.

Too those that hate America in a vocal way for whatever reasons ;

be they that it is too powerful, arrogant, too loud, or whatever your

pet peeve against the US governnent is;

I dearly wish they to keep their thoughts to themselves, in threads like this

when it pertains the USA warning it's citizens about potential threats to them,

even as the collateral damage might extend to citizens of your land too...

If you want to live in ignorant bliss that's your personal choice,

choosing to confuse others by belittling warnings is in itself an aggressive act.

You only make the situation worse sowing confusion and disinformation.

Save your bile for issues that have nothing to do with the personal safety of others.

Go ahead slag away, at least then you put no innocents at further risk

Sorry, but as an American expat I feel compelled to 'slag' my county when they do wrong.

The entire point of my CRY WOLF comparison is that this constant scare mongering is ineffective and it will potentially have the exact opposite effect in the case of an actual threat --- just like the result of the cry wolf story.

Edited by Galong

Forewarned is forearmed, since we are being proverbial here.

I'd much rather be warned in case something does get successfully pulled off by terrorists, than by going about my business in ignorant bliss and am harmed for my ignorance. We know they do do this stuff, and not always in places we expect it, for the obvious reasons they are soft targets and create greater fear and outrage.

Too those that hate America in a vocal way for whatever reasons ;

be they that it is too powerful, arrogant, too loud, or whatever your

pet peeve against the US governnent is;

I dearly wish they to keep their thoughts to themselves, in threads like this

when it pertains the USA warning it's citizens about potential threats to them,

even as the collateral damage might extend to citizens of your land too...

If you want to live in ignorant bliss that's your personal choice,

choosing to confuse others by belittling warnings is in itself an aggressive act.

You only make the situation worse sowing confusion and disinformation.

Save your bile for issues that have nothing to do with the personal safety of others.

Go ahead slag away, at least then you put no innocents at further risk

Sorry, but as an American expat I feel compelled to 'slag' my county when they do wrong.

The entire point of my CRY WOLF comparison is that this constant scare mongering is ineffective and it will potentially have the exact opposite effect in the case of an actual threat --- just like the result of the cry wolf story.

It isn't constant scare mongering if it isn't the

same time same place same message.

It is not. It is time and place specific.

I still would rather have the warning and make slight modifications of my plans than not.

And for the record I have been too close to TWO terrorist bombings that I would have

LOVED to have fair warning about before hand to be elsewhere.

But someone I was talking to was killed.... So don't say it doesn't happen.

These incidents have certainly changed my perspective away from yours.

Edited by animatic