Thai Govt In Damage Control On Terror

webfact

How many times have you gone to a restaurant like McDonalds or Food court in paragon (for example), and seen someone place a bag on a table to reserve it and walk away, what would happen if that bag contained a bomb.

People need to be educated about terrorism, maybe things like this will help educate them, but I very much doubt it.

Unlike Americans and Brits Thai's aren't brick scared of empty bags in public places probably because they don't have enemies.

But seems Terrorism has now been imported into to Thailand so I would really advice avoiding places like McDonalds or where US citizens hang out.

Thailand does not need to import terrorism, it's alive and kicking in the southern provinces of Yala, Pattani, Songkhla & Narathiwat. Approximately 6000 dead so far (including 2 tourists in 2006), Hat Yai airport bombed in 2005, and reports of JI (Indonesian Muslim fundamentalists, affiliated with al Qaida, and responsible for the Bali bombings in 2002 & 2005 amongst other attacks) support to the insurgents.

Counter-insurgency operation to date has been spectacularly unsuccessful and largely counterproductive (see Krue Se mosque and Tak Bai incidents in 2004). Media limits coverage, classic example was the cordinated bomb attacks during the 60th anniversary celebrations in 2006 which were only reported fully once the international networks had run the story in great detail.

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The detained man told police about the Hezbollah plot."

If there was a Hezbollah plot, involving Thailand, how does that make a statement that Bangkok is a POTENTIAL target alarmist non-sense scare tactics.

What WAS the plot?

You missed the second part of that quote. " the plot is now cancelled"

= there isn't any danger anymore. To spread that message was the main purpose for that statement by the police chief.

The more extended version would be that there was never really a concrete terror threat. But that is to complicated for the naives.

= there isn't any danger anymore. To spread that message was the main purpose for that statement by the police chief.

The more extended version would be that there was never really a concrete terror threat. But that is to complicated for the naives.

You really should try and keep up:

Thailand hunting Hezbollah operatives planning terror attacks against Jews, Israelis

Maybe by the Americans calling Hezbollahs bluff and coming out with the statement, forced Hezbollah to cancel the operation.

Or more obviously the caught operative is just telling them if one gets caught then the Op is off.

Lose one and go to plan B, maybe one that operative was never told of.

"The detained man told police about the Hezbollah plot."

If there was a Hezbollah plot, involving Thailand, how does that make a statement that Bangkok is a POTENTIAL target alarmist non-sense scare tactics.

What WAS the plot?

Yes and the bomb making components found were just leftovers from the New Year fireworks celebration.

• Like 1

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

Chances are whatever was going to happen was stopped. We'll never know the details. America hasn't issued anything like this here in the past several years I've been here. I'd rather be alerted and nothing happens than the alternate. I'm sure you'd among the first to be screaming why didn't somebody say something if there had been an attack with casuaties. There is no winning with people like you. Da%^ed if you do and Da%^ed if you don't.

• Like 1

In my view, the question is simply who do you trust more the US government or the Thai government?

For comparison look at the electrical shield/guard off of the hand railing for the pedestrian overpass across the road separating the two halves of the US embassy complex in Bangkok - It is the only one I have seen in Thailand and then ask again, who do you trust more? ph34r.png - of course there could be other motives a foot as well.

Foreign Affairs Ministry to Clarify About Possible Terrorist Attack Warnings

The Foreign Affairs Ministry has been ordered to clarify with other nations regarding the warnings about possible terrorist attacks in Thailand, while the invitation of a diplomat to clarify about the issue under consideration.

Director-General of the Department of Information and spokesman of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Thanee Thongpakdee said that after the US embassy issued a warning to its citizens in Thailand over possible terrorist attacks, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra ordered the Foreign Ministry to speed up explaining the situation to other nations to mitigate any negative effects of such warnings on the country's tourism.

Thanee said that initially, officials from departments have discussed and addressed about the warnings to some other countries.

Information has been translated and announced through a conference on January 13.

The ministry had also begun sending information about the security situation in Thailand to the other countries through its embassies worldwide and to embassies of other nations in Thailand.

Meanwhile, the invitation of a diplomat to clarify about the issue is still pending.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-01-16

footer_n.gif

Opposition Slams Govt for Poor Response to Terror Plot

The Opposition's Democrat Party has criticized the government for allowing a number of countries to issue a terrorist alert for Thailand.

Democrat Party spokesperson Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, has criticized the government for allowing many other countries to issue warnings to their citizens about a possible terrorist attack in Thailand.

Chavanont said this has clearly demonstrated the government's incompetence, particularly concerning foreign and security policies.

He also said that if it were in power, the Democrat Party would have deported the suspects without giving the foreign embassies time to release the warnings, which has affected the international community's confidence in Thailand.

Chavanond also pointed out that the government has also provoked Hezbollah, a Muslim militant group, by accusing it of being behind a possible terror plot.

He believes this may involve Thailand in an international conflict.

The Democrat Party spokesperson added that government officials, including Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung and Defense Minister Yutthasak Sasiprapha have mishandled the embassies' warnings by making contradicting statements which have caused further confusion.

As a result, he expects more countries to issue travel warnings for Thailand.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

• Like 1

MFA to clarify terror alert to foreign diplomats

BANGKOK, 16 January 2012 (NNT) – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has appointed the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to clarify the matter of the US Embassy's warning over possible terrorist attack on Thailand to foreign countries.

Department of Information Director-General and MFA Spokesperson Thani Thongphakdi has announced that initially MFA officials have discussed the matter and informed the current situation to some of the foreign countries who had also issued travel advisories based on the US warning. Additionally, a translation of the MFA’s announcement made on 13 January concerning the issue has been forwarded to diplomatic missions in Thailand as well as the Royal Thai embassies abroad to clear up any doubts. Whether or not the MFA will invite foreign diplomats to clarify the matter in person depends on further guidelines from the government, added Mr. Thani.

The terror attack alert claiming that Thailand has been targeted by an international terrorist group was issued by the US Embassy in Thailand on 13 January. It advised US citizens to exercise caution and avoid areas crowded with westerners. The warning has also led a number of other foreign countries to issue travel advisories to their citizens.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-16 footer_n.gif

What a bunch of B.S. doubletalk from the government...

There is/was no bomb threat to Thailand/Bangkok... Yet the guy we arrested confessed to the plot.

We didn't want to arrest anyone until there was clear evidence of a crime... Ya... clear evidence like a bomb explosion in Bangkok.

The guy we arrested confessed to the (presumably they mean bomb) plot. So our solution is to kick the supposedly confessed would-be bomber out of the country....

Thailand is safe... All is well... Bangkok never was a target of any attack... The Hezbollah guys were just passing through.... and decided to plot a bomb attack for R&R purposes while they were here....

Feeling safer now? ph34r.png

WOW...and now the Democrats are trying to out PT the PT.... Amazing....

He also said that if it were in power, the Democrat Party would have deported the suspects without giving the foreign embassies time to release the warnings, which has affected the international community's confidence in Thailand.

Chavanond also pointed out that the government has also provoked Hezbollah, a Muslim militant group, by accusing it of being behind a possible terror plot.

How typical of some superior farang races to do and say as they like, without thought and consideration. One of the issues here is that the embassy issued a warning WITHOUT first consulting / informing the Government of the country concerned. It smacks of arrogance.

• Like 2

WOW...and now the Democrats are trying to out PT the PT.... Amazing....

That the way Thais see the situation.

It also answers the question how a Democrats government would handle the issue with these foreign embassy warnings.

So we don't need a Dems vs. Shins, purple vs. turquoise bickering here.

How typical of some superior farang races to do and say as they like, without thought and consideration. One of the issues here is that the embassy issued a warning WITHOUT first consulting / informing the Government of the country concerned. It smacks of arrogance.

It smacks of doing their job, caring about their own citizens first.
  • Like 1

In my view, the question is simply who do you trust more the US government or the Thai government?

For comparison look at the electrical shield/guard off of the hand railing for the pedestrian overpass across the road separating the two halves of the US embassy complex in Bangkok - It is the only one I have seen in Thailand and then ask again, who do you trust more? ph34r.png - of course there could be other motives a foot as well.

Easy question.

I came to Thailand, i like it here. Thats the answer.

I don't need the US government.

• Like 2

Chavanont said this has clearly demonstrated the government's incompetence, particularly concerning foreign and security policies.

He believes this may involve Thailand in an international conflict.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

The single suspect..the other is still at large...was arrested as he was leaving the country, not entering...so he had time to do whatever he was planning on doing. Also the arrest was made with the US, Israel, and Thailand, so deporting before the embassy could issue a warning is BS.

Thailand entered into a trade agreement with Iran last year...and they think this involves them in an international conflict.

How many times have you gone to a restaurant like McDonalds or Food court in paragon (for example), and seen someone place a bag on a table to reserve it and walk away, what would happen if that bag contained a bomb.

People need to be educated about terrorism, maybe things like this will help educate them, but I very much doubt it.

Unlike Americans and Brits Thai's aren't brick scared of empty bags in public places probably because they don't have enemies.

But seems Terrorism has now been imported into to Thailand so I would really advice avoiding places like McDonalds or where US citizens hang out.

I seem to recall quite a few bags, garbage beans etc blowing up around town these last few years....

• Like 1

DPM Kowit: Government can take care of people's security and they need not be concerned about the terrorist warning issued by several foreign countries /BKK Post

Of course they can. They have a proven track record taking care of people's security in the South.

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

Seems you speak English , your welcome.dry.png

Nice retort. If that's what you got out of what I said, I guess I'll reply by asking if are not plenty of other countries where I could have learned to speak English? Many of these countries don't instigate and perpetuate constant violence. I'm tired of US imperialism and just want to live my life in peaceful Thailand. I'm 12 times zones away, leave me alone, please.

So if it turns out that Thai police find a house loaded with explosives to be used to make a bomb you would rather that they kept their mouths shut?

I note, the above news report doesn't mention what country the arrested supposed bomber was deported to....

Lebanon? Sweden? Dubai?? Israel? USA??? Disneyland??? Hmmm.... I wonder.....

Haaretz were claiming he was lebanese/swiss earlier - lets hope the terrorist warning went to the right place and we don't see an attack in Taiwan.

If you suspect a bomb, don't tell your friends about it because the Thais might lose a few baht.

Could you imagine the reaction in the US if it was revealed that knowledge re a bomb that exploded was withheld while waiting for a response from Surapong, who had to check with Dubai to see what his response should be?

"Caring about their own citizens first"

Exactly!! But look what this attitude has done to the rest of the citizens of the world. All of us are paying the price for such arrogance.