Thai Govt In Damage Control On Terror

webfact

• Replies 546
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chalerm is a fool and really needs to step down. THis guy is always mouthing off in inappropriate ways. First there was the "trust no westerner" comment and now blasting foreign embassies for warning their citizens when the Thai government refused. Better to stay under that rug he is always shoving stuff under than be in public service....

He reminds me of some of the posts/comments made at 0200, seemly after a night on the piss. In this individuals case, it may be after a few drinks during a working/polotical meeting lunc, paid for by the taxpayer.

How typical of some superior farang races to do and say as they like, without thought and consideration. One of the issues here is that the embassy issued a warning WITHOUT first consulting / informing the Government of the country concerned. It smacks of arrogance.

It smacks of doing their job, caring about their own citizens first.

"Caring about their own citizens first"

Exactly!! But look what this attitude has done to the rest of the citizens of the world. All of us are paying the price for such arrogance.

Yeah look at how this PT government has mismanaged this terror plot from the start. I am pretty sure the Americans would have loved to work with the local government but when that local government is incompentant then they do the next best thing and protect their own citizens first. Slam the US for their arrogance all you want but for this particular incident they did the right thing. Just look at the idiotic responses from the PT ministers.

• Like 1

No terrorists attacks here, Good job by the Thai authorities.

The alarmist warning by the embassy was unnecessary but without that we would never became aware of these things the the Thai authorities do for us.

Hmmm...a warehouse full of chemicals used to make a bomb, 2 trucks ready for deployment. I think you've been proven wrong:

Police find explosive chemicals linked to terror plot

Thank goodness the US issued that warning.

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

ABSOLUTELY agree with every word here - only one thing PLEASE... do not call the USA America. My friends in Brasil and Colombia hate it...so do the other Americans - South America is America too...so is Canada, even if it is a Part of the USA

Hope the USAmerican authorities are not to pi...d too much about the ThaiGovernment officials and proving them wrong with all the power they have, would not be the first time.

I am not sure where you received your international politics education but from your exquisitely ignorant remarks, I would have to assume you either do not have an education or you received your education online. As far as your “so-called bad guys win” comment, I have to point out that nobody wins in our current global climate. As far as modern “terrorism” is concerned, it is very real and there are no good guys bad guys, only victims and ignorance.

Your anger at America also shows your extreme ignorance of the truth about how the world works now. It is very easy to say what some “country” should or should not do, but it is another matter when the decisions are real and must be made. Inaction and action can be the same thing and both can have equally devastating consequences. So please, when you spew a broad sweeping, general statement like “Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world” try to follow it up with specific examples of what you are talking about lest you make yourself sound like a fool.

As far as this specific topic on this thread, the U.S. Embassy has an obligation according to their codes of conduct to notify the citizens it serves of any real threats that it knows about from the extensive global intelligence network. The international intelligence community agrees that it is not a good thing to have non-combatant civilians harmed by any criminal that wishes to do so. Everybody loses in a crime. As far as promoting fear, I personally use knowledge and logic to combat panic. I prefer to have a heads up if I am near an area where a crime could occur. I understand and trust that the highly skilled global agencies that attempt to protect the innocent are not making things up to scare people. Therefore I am not afraid, I am just a little more watchful and cautious.

• Like 1

DPM Kowit: Government can take care of people's security and they need not be concerned about the terrorist warning issued by several foreign countries /BKK Post

There you have it, an assurance from a Thai politician that no matter what other governments may say everything in Thailand is at it should be so you can all sleep in a bed safely tonight. And it's even in the Bangkok Post so it must be true.

Edited by bigbamboo

DPM Kowit: Government can take care of people's security and they need not be concerned about the terrorist warning issued by several foreign countries /BKK Post

Typical thai mentality, they pissed of when someone tell the truth... Anyway, dont worry if nothing happened, lol...

I think much better to be aware rather than let them to do what they want... They knew about this since Christmas but dont want the tourist scare away...

This guy's statement just make things worse because now International media would pick him up for sure...

I really think there would be very important for this people to get some proper foreign advisors how to control the relationships with the international community because if they going to continue this way Thailand will go down in the sink.

In a country where they so proud of freedom, I dont see any freedom anymore if they want to hide the informations..

Far be it from me to Compliment the USA , when I read the warning and they reccomended " Keeping a low profile " or the like ..My Initial reaction was Yessssss Please .. Great advice for most from the USA . However , I think this warning has some substance and really was a good move , realistically in Bangkok one should always be careful ...As someone else said , No large City is immune .

It certainly would be great , if those from the US ..tourists moreso ..Could just learn to be more of a combination of European / Thai , and a little more low profile .I have always expressed this view to my US friends .

The warning has served its purpose and made all a little more villigent .

Forewarned is forearmed, since we are being proverbial here. I'd much rather be warned in case something does get successfully pulled off by terrorists, than by going about my business in ignorant bliss and am harmed for my ignorance. We know they do do this stuff, and not always in places we expect it, for the obvious reasons they are soft targets and create greater fear and outrage. Too those that hate America in a vocal way for whatever reasons ; be they that it is too powerful, arrogant, too loud, or whatever your pet peeve against the US governnent is; I dearly wish they to keep their thoughts to themselves, in threads like this when it pertains the USA warning it's citizens about potential threats to them, even as the collateral damage might extend to citizens of your land too... If you want to live in ignorant bliss that's your personal choice, choosing to confuse others by belittling warnings is in itself an aggressive act. You only make the situation worse sowing confusion and disinformation. Save your bile for issues that have nothing to do with the personal safety of others. Go ahead slag away, at least then you put no innocents at further risk

Well said Thanks!

• Like 2

Forewarned is forearmed, since we are being proverbial here.

I'd much rather be warned in case something does get successfully pulled off by terrorists, than by going about my business in ignorant bliss and am harmed for my ignorance. We know they do do this stuff, and not always in places we expect it, for the obvious reasons they are soft targets and create greater fear and outrage.

Too those that hate America in a vocal way for whatever reasons ;

be they that it is too powerful, arrogant, too loud, or whatever your

pet peeve against the US governnent is;

I dearly wish they to keep their thoughts to themselves, in threads like this

when it pertains the USA warning it's citizens about potential threats to them,

even as the collateral damage might extend to citizens of your land too...

If you want to live in ignorant bliss that's your personal choice,

choosing to confuse others by belittling warnings is in itself an aggressive act.

You only make the situation worse sowing confusion and disinformation.

Save your bile for issues that have nothing to do with the personal safety of others.

Go ahead slag away, at least then you put no innocents at further risk

Sorry, but as an American expat I feel compelled to 'slag' my county when they do wrong.

The entire point of my CRY WOLF comparison is that this constant scare mongering is ineffective and it will potentially have the exact opposite effect in the case of an actual threat --- just like the result of the cry wolf story.

I disagree. Fear mongering suggest that the recipient of the information is fearful of that information.

I am from NYC and lived through the terrorist attacks on September 11th. I was right down near Wall Street.

What NYC does now is that when there is a threat that the authorities have identified, they pass it along in the form of 'reminders' to be be vigilant.

You will get announcements in the subway and in other public places and through media that say things like: "If you see something, say something."

There is nothing at all wrong with warning of what authorities believe to be serious threats to safety, and many would argue that it's the State's duty to do so. Being fearful of the information and possibility for danger is not a requirement, however. But, it does give one the opportunity to make informed decisions and to be a bit more cautious of his/her surroundings. It's a good system, in my opinion, and one that I think our State handles quite well.

• Like 2

Sorry but I think an Embassy has the right to warn it's countrymen and women about things, if the Thai people found out by clicking on the Embassy website then that is upto them. If the Goverment says there is no need to worry, but sends out troops to patrol areas and carry out searches then obviously there is something to worry about.

+1

Thailand blows smoke to obscure every problem. Blair was an exprt in spin but has nothing on the Thais. I agree that it is almost certain that then UAs and Israel already informed he Thai government of the names of these people - actually admitted already actually. Then they try to tell us they knew already - does anyone honestly believe the Thais would have any idea if they had not been told?

Then they imply there never was any threat and everyone is safe at the same time as someone else is saying they are hunting terrorists here and have found a house full of explosives.

It is all smoke and mirrors, disinformation, misinformation and lies to hide the truth in case it helps some foreigner, hurts the Thai foreign income or prevents the rich from ripping everyone off even more.

Yes foreigner can have 30 year lease - actually foreigner can hire for 30 years and if you have a problem like Farmer Joe or a hundred others then the lease is cancelled, avoided or you can seek your money back. It means diddly squat registered on the chanote or not.

Yes foreigner can have 49% of a Thai company but he mustn't use that to buy land because we won't let you - we will dream up some way of twisting some other law to stop something we don't like. We won't tell you though because then you won't bring your money here for us to steal one way or another. Anyway even if you make it really hard for us to cheat you by pretending one thing to entice you to invest here and then doing something else entirely, even then we will stop you taking your money out. And if you don't like it you shouldn't be here so go home and leave your money behind.

And don't think you big company like Carlsberg can stop us either.

But if you show us up for what we really are then we will get very cross with you and summon your Ambassador for talks because telling the truth could be damaging for Thailand.

You bet - it is - it should be. I vote for the Embassies telling it like it is.

And for those trashing the US for standing up to these corrupt politicians and putting it out there - hats off to you even though you are bloody yanks.

How typical of some superior farang races to do and say as they like, without thought and consideration. One of the issues here is that the embassy issued a warning WITHOUT first consulting / informing the Government of the country concerned. It smacks of arrogance.

They issued the warning to their own citizens. Rightly or wrongly they interpreted that a threat was present. Dispite all the criticism they are now receiving, in a situation like this it is better to walk on the side of caution. As someone posted earlier, Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

How many times have you gone to a restaurant like McDonalds or Food court in paragon (for example), and seen someone place a bag on a table to reserve it and walk away, what would happen if that bag contained a bomb.

People need to be educated about terrorism, maybe things like this will help educate them, but I very much doubt it.

Unlike Americans and Brits Thai's aren't brick scared of empty bags in public places probably because they don't have enemies.

But seems Terrorism has now been imported into to Thailand so I would really advice avoiding places like McDonalds or where US citizens hang out.

I seem to recall quite a few bags, garbage beans etc blowing up around town these last few years....

Terrorism imported into Thailand? Oh, you mean across the border down south where stuff is blowing up all the time but let's pretend it isn't.

I note, the above news report doesn't mention what country the arrested supposed bomber was deported to....

Lebanon? Sweden? Dubai?? Israel? USA??? Disneyland??? Hmmm.... I wonder.....

If he came in on a Swedish passport, then that is the country he should be deported to. Or was he deported to his departure point for this journey?

If he admitted to being part of the supposed plot, reveiled the location of the bomb making material, etc. he will most likely be admiring the climate of Cuba anytime soon

How many times have you gone to a restaurant like McDonalds or Food court in paragon (for example), and seen someone place a bag on a table to reserve it and walk away, what would happen if that bag contained a bomb.

People need to be educated about terrorism, maybe things like this will help educate them, but I very much doubt it.

Unlike Americans and Brits Thai's aren't brick scared of empty bags in public places probably because they don't have enemies.

But seems Terrorism has now been imported into to Thailand so I would really advice avoiding places like McDonalds or where US citizens hang out.

Obviously haven't been to Micky D's in a while...allot more Thais hang out there than farang.... Edited by x5david

They issued the warning to their own citizens. Rightly or wrongly they interpreted that a threat was present. Dispite all the criticism they are now receiving, in a situation like this it is better to walk on the side of caution. As someone posted earlier, Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Rightly or wrongly? It is none of Thailand's business when or where America alerts her citizens. It's none of Thailand's business if the alert is for Cairo, or Mumbai, or Bangkok. If Thailand wants no alerts and to secure it's tourism interests, perhaps stepping up its military presence against incursions and threats from outside instead of against its own citizens would be a logical first step.

• Like 2

Easy question.

I came to Thailand, i like it here. Thats the answer.

I don't need the US government.

So have you considered renouncing your citizenship?

Well, it looks like the fascist comments have started. You can't criticize the government or you are anti-American and need to renounce citizenship?

• Like 1

In my view, the question is simply who do you trust more the US government or the Thai government?

For comparison look at the electrical shield/guard off of the hand railing for the pedestrian overpass across the road separating the two halves of the US embassy complex in Bangkok - It is the only one I have seen in Thailand and then ask again, who do you trust more? ph34r.png - of course there could be other motives a foot as well.

Easy question.

No idea where you and your ancestors are from, but is it possible that your forsfathers/country of orgin got a helping hand from the US? Just an acdemic question of course.

Easy question.

So have you considered renouncing your citizenship?

Well, it looks like the fascist comments have started. You can't criticize the government or you are anti-American and need to renounce citizenship?

Of course you can criticize but there is certain loyalty one would expect of all citizens.

I reckon I'm really on track if the extreme right wing people call me commie scum and the extreme left wing people call me a fascist, though frankly, it's usually the former. coffee1.gifunsure.pngcowboy.gif

Edited by Jingthing

The alarmist warning by the embassy was unnecessary but without that we would never became aware of these things the the Thai authorities do for us.

Hmmm...a warehouse full of chemicals used to make a bomb, 2 trucks ready for deployment. I think you've been proven wrong:

http://www.thaivisa....to-terror-plot/

Then why release the suspect without charge?

Doesn't happen, ANYWHERE!

http://www.thaivisa....to-terror-plot/

Then why release the suspect without charge?

Doesn't happen, ANYWHERE!

Apparently as many have learned including me, this reflects Thai government policy. Its rather shocking I think.

Rightly or wrongly? It is none of Thailand's business when or where America alerts her citizens. It's none of Thailand's business if the alert is for Cairo, or Mumbai, or Bangkok. If Thailand wants no alerts and to secure it's tourism interests, perhaps stepping up its military presence against incursions and threats from outside instead of against its own citizens would be a logical first step.

The Rightly or Wrongly wasn't directed at Thailand, it was directed at it's citizens!

How far away does one have to get to truly get away from the American non-sense that constantly flows out of the government? Sorry, but meaningless scare tactics don't impress me. Furthermore, if two people can stimulate a panic without even doing anything, then the so-called bad guys win, period.

In addition, this 'cry wolf' crap is really getting old. Here's an idea America: try minding your own business and stop pissing on the rest of the world. See how that works instead of the normal gospel-spreading course, please.

Are you for real?? The Lebanese man confessed to being here on a terrorism mission ... and leads the police to the large stash of bomb-making explosives ..... and you say the American Embassy cried wolf??? I'd like to say more about what I think of you, but if I did the monitors would delete it.

*Deleted quote edited out*

Dude, hate your own country all you want but the police have already found the bomb making materials. I'm boggled by people like you. The evidence is practically shoved right in front of your face and it's still 'propaganda'.

Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out