Thai Govt Nod For Bt400bn Projects In The North

webfact

MOBILE CABINET

Govt nod for Bt400-bn projects in the North

Wichit Chaitrong

Photo : Vorawit Pumpuang

The Nation

30173807-01_big.jpg

Kittiratt says 2013 fiscal might also see a deficit, though it will be on a declining trend; green light for 128 projects

The mobile Cabinet yesterday approved in principle investment projects in the North worth about Bt400 billion while the government plans to run another budget deficit for the 2013 fiscal year.

"The deficit will continue but it should be on a declining trend," Deputy Prime Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong said.

Investors said implementation is the key to whether the government can prevent another severe flood.

The Cabinet gave the green light to a high-speed train project linking Chiang Mai and Bangkok, a mass transit system in Chiang Mai and flood prevention projects in the North, totalling 128 projects, Kittiratt said after the Cabinet meeting in Chiang Mai, a popular tourist destination.

However, every project must be vetted by the government scrutiny committee and Strategy Formulation Committee for Water Resources Management (SCWRM), he said.

The government is expected to invest about Bt2 trillion in infrastructure projects for the whole country over the long run, he said.

The government will also run a deficit for the fiscal year starting in October. The Bt2.38-trillion budget for the current fiscal year includes a deficit of Bt400 billion.

The Finance Ministry has been assigned to draft the 2013 Budget Bill by this month, he said.

A Finance Ministry source, however, said the government may face a deficit of up to Bt500 billion for next fiscal year.

Kittiratt on Saturday also unveiled to investors and the media a Bt300-billion investment plan for water resources management in the Chao Phraya river basin and its tributaries.

The government plans to use about Bt60 billion to plant trees and build reservoirs and spillways in the North.

The projects would cover the Ping, Wang, Yom, Nan, Sakaekrang and Pasak river basins.

These projects are expected to delay runoff downstream to central provinces and Bangkok.

The government would also spend Bt60 billion to improve irrigation for farmlands by building reservoirs in Phitsanulok and Chai Nat to hold water temporarily in the monsoon season. Some rice paddies would be submerged so rice farmers would be advised to grow only two crops per year instead of three.

Floodways would be created in order to divert runoff from the Chao Phraya and Pasak rivers from pouring into Ayutthaya, Angthong, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Bangkok, Samut Prakan, Nakhon Pathom and Samut Sakhon.

Dykes would also be built to protect downstream provinces.

Chukiart Sapphaisal, a member of the SCWRM, said that though heavy rains would come again this year, floods would not be as severe as 2011, even if many projects are not completed this year. The government plans to invest Bt17 billion on priority projects this year.

Payungsak Chartsutipol, chairman of the Federation of Thai Industries, said the business community had confidence in the government's flood prevention measures. However, some business leaders raised concerns about the next flood damaging roads and railways and disrupting logistics like last year.

A foreign businessman told The Nation that success would depend on how parties work harmoniously together.

Deputy Government Spokesman Anusorn Iamsa-ard said the government was planning to solve water problems right from the watershed to midstream and downstream.

"In the watershed area, we will focus on reforestation. We will respond to Her Majesty the Queen's order that reforestation be used to protect the topsoil," he said.

The government would put reforestation on the national agenda.

The plants that would be raised could be those used as commercial or energy crops.

For midstream, the Strategic Committee for Water Resources Management and the Agriculture Ministry would jointly work out measures to prevent water problems.

"The Agriculture and Interior ministries will be responsible for the downstream projects. Efforts on this part will include dredging of canals and preventing communities from encroaching on public waterways," he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-16

20% of the 2 trillion THB for Chiang Mai. Oh dear me

Fast train to 1 big city with an airport, Oh I forgot it's the Home of Family.

All that dosh for there when they could have incorporated No.2-No.3-No.4 biggest cities of Thailand, Korat-Khon Khen-Udon, and a bonus Nongkhai-Laos plus one of the biggest visa run places. An added bonus being shorter distance in Kilometers.

These so called brains in the government shows up the quality of schooling here. Dopes, Nutters.

• Like 2

When I read that reforestation was being initiated I thought what a good idea, my heart then sank when I read in the next sentence that the 'forest' would be planted with commercial or energy crops. So what they are really saying is we're going to plant trees and then chop them down, as the only reason you plants commercial crops is to harvest them. So more mono cultures and less biodiversity. Hardly the spirit of reforestation. In Thailand reforestation = farming.

Bad luck to Chiang Rai, no sign of the often promised rail link.

I would have thought the line off to Korat would also have been an equal priority as well.

Flood defences dont go as far north as Nakhon Sawan so does that mean the dams will be fully opened as required as down stream provinces will have diversionary dykes to protect them?

Forest planting for profit only, not much of a surprise there then.

Trainman 34014, cant put my finger of the West Country off hand but I share your view we may not live to see all these fine plans, expect quango committees to be set up to evaluate these schemes, pays the bills for a good time.

High Speed Railway? Mass Transit System for Chiang Mai? I would take a reasonable size bet that neither will ever happen in my lifetime.....or the next generation or two.

Even there will, many will be cautious as we all understood at High velocity, the slightest mistake kills.

So can the public trust the workman ship??

When I read that reforestation was being initiated I thought what a good idea, my heart then sank when I read in the next sentence that the 'forest' would be planted with commercial or energy crops. So what they are really saying is we're going to plant trees and then chop them down, as the only reason you plants commercial crops is to harvest them. So more mono cultures and less biodiversity. Hardly the spirit of reforestation. In Thailand reforestation = farming.

well they could plant rubber trees which just get "milked" rather than cut down?? Or avacado or other fruit trees that can be harvested without cutting them for timber....more than one kind of commerical tree.

The rail link was the proposed Bejing.to KLMalaysia high speed line, But the Thai Government in their wisdom decided to switch the laos/Bkk section to instead run to CM. Hard to think what the Chinese think of Thais now??

Fantastic logic.....cutting off millions of potential travellers/tourists from China Vietnam etc Guess the rest of the spending is just there for the 30% kickbacks.

Well, to me Chiang Mai is one of the most charming cities in Thailand and I love Chiang Mai as many other people do. But the charm of Chiang Mai is under threat. This time of year I see it drown in cars, many of them driven by people from Bangkok, who - like other tourists do - drive around Chiang Mai City and thereby adding to the massive traffic jams and a pollution that is even worse than normal. I don't like what I see.

Having the International Airport in Chiang Mai don't prevent all those people from Bangkok in driving their big MPV's, SUV's and pick up trucks up from Bangkok. Probably because the airplane tickets are too expensive to compete with the flexibility that cars offer. Especially if you are more than 1 or 2 people that can travel together.

Given the coolness and pleasant temperatures that Chang Mai offers, the tourists from Bangkok will not stay out of Chiang Mai. But giving them a 3rd option of transportation to Chiang Mai is a great idea. I hope that high speed line will get started tomorrow! If the price is right, maybe more people would leave their cars in Bangkok and take the train.

Locally, Chiang Mai really need an effective public transport system. An underground metro would be most welcome.

Here here Newbie! Methinks that many of the replies have been from Bangkokians who have not noticed the disproportionate amount of expenditure on Bangkok infrastructure in recent years and have not l attention had to bear the fast-increasing frustrations of attempting to get around Chinagmai. Nor have they even tried to buy a ticket on the seemingly always full, but extremely slow trains to CM, despite the availability of Air Asia cheap flights.

It is TIME for some real attention to be given to decent public transport to and in Chiangmai!

• Like 1

Congratulation to Northeners who vote for PT.

But suckers to Northeasterners who did the same.

Unforunately in northeastern they only need to keep the local elite happy, rather than deliver any real development, in order to secure the votes of that region.

Edited by DP25

What a lot of sour grapes from the Bangkok brigade!

About time the National cake was shared out a bit more fairly, BKK has seen far more than its fair share of infrastructure projects recently - skytrain, metro etc. As to the politics of all this, well you only have yourselves to blame for backing the losing horse (or should I say puppet?).

There is no reason why reforestation could not give some commercial gain and employment. In addition to those already mentioned, what about an expanded coffee production?