Ssi Disability Check For Mental Depression

btaylor

I receive a monthly check from ssi disability for $960 USD, plus medicare/medicaid, I would very much like to move to thailand as an expat, can any of you knowledgeable people out here tell me for how long after i leave the u.s. and enter thailand can I continue to draw my ssi disability check for and what's the maximum length of time i can stay in thailand for? the check is for mental depression, thank's to all :o

Guest IT Manager

Btaylor please don't think I am being anything but a concerned person. Ask yourself the following before you get any other replies:

• Where do your friends/family/support circle live?
  • Who do you know in Thailand?
  • What do you know about Mental Health "sudden support" in Thailand?
  • What support facilities do you know of in Thailand?
  • If you get really down, where do you go?

If the answer to any of these is a shrug, this is not a good place. You NEED close at hand support to assist you to manage the events, and if you don't know anyone here, there will be few takers for your call at 1.00 AM.

Can you come here with someone. A supporter/carer etc? A much simpler idea.

Sorry. I feel so useless that I can't say, it lasts 22 months or whatever. Money isn't the issue my friend, it's "who will help?".

Short answer, is no-one.

I think ITs response is wise and probably applies here, but then, everyone has their own individual situation and it is conceivable that there might be rare cases where a a person in this circumstance would be better off not being in the US.

For example, if that person's US personal support system is non-existant (so nothing lost there).

$960 does not buy an acceptable standard of living in the US, but might in smaller Thai city.

If that person's medical needs were simple and could be met at a reasonable cost. Of course, all the US based medical benefits would not be available.

As far as SSI paying if you are going to abroad, maybe someone knows, but the clearest way to an answer is simply calling the Social Security offices. I know for sure that Social Security payments for retirees (starting as early as age 62) are totally legit for Americans living abroad, with no time limit.

And even if you got that far, then you would have a problem with Thai visas if a long term stay is desired. The Phillipines would be easier to stay long term on tourist visas.

In any case, bt, best wishes to you.

I am not sure if you would meet the long term visa requirements (mental health problems). Over 50 years minimum age for retirement visa takes (720,000 Baht) $1500 a month and/or 800,000 in the local thai bank (39 baht to the U.S. dollar and falling).

Will the USA even allow you to have a passport to travel with your mental conditions. I hope your doctor or SSI has notified the U.S government passport issuing authority of your condition. There is enough of us unpaid mental cases running around the world already. :o

Unlikely and not wise good try though.

I thank you all for your kind reply's, particuliarly the admin for his careingness toward's a fellow human being with a problem, I have a brother who lives in thailand and has for several year's, he immigrated to thailand from the phillipines and to the phillipines from the u.s. about 10 year's ago, roughly,i'm not sure where he lives but it's a smaller city whose income is derived from the hetero sextrade almost wholly, strip joint's, nightclub's, hookers, swingers, blah blah blah, I was thinking of liveing with him,I don't know for sure, but it seem's to me that such a setting, at 1USD=39.8 baht, would be just what the doctor ordered for someone who was badly depressed, i.e me, I am 55 and have been clinically diagnosed as suffering from severe depression,do you think they would deny me entry into thailand because (a)I am not yet 62, and, i have been clinically diagnosed as suffering from clinical depression? I thank you all for your kind help, also I have had to edit this post twice because every time I hit b something wholly innappropriate comes up

would be just what the doctor ordered for someone who was badly depressed

Sorry, no it woudn't esp if it's bipolar depression you've been diagnosed with.

IT's points are extremely important to think about before making any decisions.

Curious how long you've been suffering from clinical depression (major depressiojn, dysthymia or bipolar)? Will assume that you are on antidepressants, but are you also undergoing therapy? If so than ceasing these sessions would not be advisable, as antidepressants are not a cure. Best to speak to your health care professional about all this. Wish you all the best :o

What is the condition of your brother in Thailand. Can he handle your illness

that is government subsidised. The government will also pay for nurses and

other things if needed. They may even pay your plane ticket if your doctor recommends you staying close by your brother.

Private hospitals in Bangkok offer services for mentally ill patients from the West.

You can find the biggest ones on the Net. As I understand it westerners are generally kept separate from Thai patients, which I reckon is a bad thing, but there you are.

Western psychiatrists and psychologists are employed on staff, and as a westerner you can expect to pay more. Some hospitals - I can think of one in Sathorn - charge huge fees for the right to sleep in a private room with a nurse in attendance. They want to see your credit card first.

Public hospitals also offer psychiatric services. They don't drop everything the moment a mentally ill patient presents himself, but if you are prepared to make an appointment hospitals can find staff to see you. Public hospitals are generally reluctant to admit patients overnight unless the patient is acute.

I met a Thai woman at one such hospital about a year ago who had been seeing a psychologist there every week for months and who was happy with the (free) service.

This is to give you a general idea. Best to consult the Net and contact a hospital direct for a better idea of what services are on offer. I am inclined to agree with ######'s post. Ultimately it does not come down to money but whether you have a support structure in place - friends and family who can help.

You cannot reply on the public health service for everything. One city hospital I read about gets 6000 patient visits a day.

I thank you all for your very kind help and replys to my problem but the main thing i,m trieing to find out is if on an ssi disability check of USD$960, can I live in thailand and still keep my check or failing that, how long I can stay in thailand, max, on the various visa's etc., if anybody out there know's, please reply, I thank you all very much for your kind help in this matter :o

What is the condition of your brother in Thailand. Can he handle your illness

that is government subsidised. The government will also pay for nurses and

other things if needed. They may even pay your plane ticket if your doctor recommends you staying close by your brother.

Forot to add your brother can be paid to help take care of you. I think this is through Medicare or medicaid not sure what SSI will handle. If he is the only availible family member most likely would apply in this case. I think you still would end up a basket case with the surroundings of Thailand.

Here is some answers as I know them,,SSI will not pay for anyone living outside the USA,and if you do move out of the USA your SSI payments will stop and any payments made in error will have to be reimbursed to the Social Security Admin.

Medicare and Medicade will not pay outside of the USA,I have a brother living in Ensenada mexico and he has no passport or visas and makes regular trips back to the states to maintain his status and his ssi,medicare and medicaid.

Some do live here with Delayed Stress Syndrome but they receive a medical pension from the US govt. Service connected disability's act.So the only thing I can suggest is for you to move to a town such as Ensenada or Tecate,Mexicali,where you can keep you US residents status and still live a little cheaper.

Well, if Kevin is correct (sounds plausible), perhaps you can set up some shorter trips to be with your brother for short periods of time. In that case, you can use a 30 day entry stamp, or a tourist visa for 60 days. That would be especially nice in the winter if you live in a cold weather area.

Sounds a bit like "The grass is greener" syndrome.

Believe me, on this side of the fence the grass is just as brown, and you have added problems of thorns, thistles and poison ivy for the unprepared.

Presumably your depression is being medicated with some good effect? You might find it hard and very expensive to find the same medication here. Little seems to be available beyond the normal Lithicarb and Fluoxetine. I would reccommend thinking very carefully before you make the move.

However, if you do decide to come to Thailand and are going to live in the North. PM me and I will put you in touch with good English speaking psychiatrist and psychologist.

And yes, I have friends here living on SSI benefit from California. They have the funds credited directly to their account in the USA and use a visa card and ATMs to withdraw. Some of them have been here for many years.

US has an office in the Philippines to look after disability benifits etc for expats in the region.

Sounds like you are in a rock and a hard place.

I have no mental illness or other type of clinical issues. However after being here for a few months I found my self getting really depressed, If you don’t have a job and purpose Thailand can be a lonely place... You’ll really miss the little things like being able to ask where the VCR tapes are or being hungery and not being able to read the menu. Also cable TV and other things are expensive.

You can live cheap but 980 will be cutting it close.. I had free rent and I spent close to that in my day to day life.

My advice would be to plan a trip here for two months. On a turest Visa stay with your brother and see how you like it. Get the honey moon phase out of your system.

The Mexico Idea might be a more wise idea. Closer to home, and now visa needed.

They are all right if you are accustom to certain level of medical treatment you will be hard pressed to similar levels here.

Most important talk to your Doctor. As to the payments of being out of the usa. He can have the checks sent to a relitive and they can deposit them. There are always work arounds.

Do I understand correctly that at age 62 retirement if I move to Bangkok as planned I must maintain an account here to have my retirement SSI money sent to then retrieve it by ATM or credit card in Thailand.

I was under the impression that the checks would be sent where ever you are.

Well, here is some useful info about getting social security retirement benefits while living abroad:

by Barbara Frew, author of

Personal Finance for Overseas Americans:

How to direct your own financial future while living abroad

For U.S. citizens living abroad getting your U.S. social security benefits may or may not be a simple matter. In a few countries you cannot receive U.S. social security payments. For example, the U.S. Treasury bans payments to Cambodia, Cuba, and North Korea. There are additional social security restrictions that prevent you from receiving social security payments if you live in Vietnam or some parts of the former Soviet Union such as the Ukraine. These restrictions do not apply to Russia, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Armenia. If you live in one of the banned or restricted countries payments will be withheld, but they will be restored once you move to a non-restricted country.

Even if you live in a non-restricted country you may face logistical problems receiving your U.S. Treasury check. Getting your check via the mail may not be the best option. Many foreign postal systems are reliable, but some are not. Assuming the postal system is secure, the banking system in your host country will not be able to process a U.S. check on its own. When you take a U.S. Treasury check to a local bank it will be returned to the United States for clearance. After the U.S. check

clearing system has processed the check, it will be mailed back to your host country bank to go through that country’s clearing system. The whole process can easily take three weeks and can cost as much as if you had wired the money to yourself from the United States. On top of that, you still must pay foreign exchange charges.

Another option is to have your social security check deposited directly to a financial institution in the United States and then transfer money to your foreign bank account as needed. If you do this you will have easy access to your money. Your charges will include a wire transfer fee plus the cost of converting U.S. dollars to your host country’s currency. To reduce these costs try to transfer larger amounts less frequently.

You may be able to withdrawal funds via an ATM machine overseas if your have a VISA, MasterCard or American Express Debit or Check card that is linked to your U.S. bank account. Be careful here; if your debit or check card is also linked to your credit card account, you may find yourself taking an expensive cash advance if the ATM machine cannot connect with your bank account. Check on fees, including any extra fees for processing overseas transactions, and availability of ATM machines in your location. Finally, make sure your personal identification number is four to six digits long, but not more, and that it is in numbers rather than letters.

There may be another option. :The U.S. Federal Reserve Bank of New York and several central banks around the world have agreed to provide an international direct deposit service. This service allows the transfer and conversion of U.S. social security benefits to a foreign bank free of the various charges; the Social Security Administration picks up the tab. The countries that currently participate in this international direct deposit service (also called electronic benefit transfer) are: Argentina, Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

Many other countries offer other forms of electronic transfer. Check with the Social Security Administration about your options in your host country.

For details about social security payments while you are outside the United States, obtain a copy of Social Security Administration Publication No. 05-10137, ICN 480085 by mail from the Social Security Administration or at your nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate or from their website: http://www.ssa.gov.

PEPE;You can have your SS Retirement checks sent anywhere that has electronic transfer number banking,they do not have it in Thailand,So here it is a mailed paper check and the trouble that it will bring or a bank acct in the USA and ATM withdraws.and you are free to live anywhere you wish.

But SSI and SS Retirement is 2 different breed of dogs,And if are drawing SSI and they catch you living outside of the usa,as with the paper trail you leave with ATM or money transfers,You stand a very good chance of getting your ass in a sling,and if you are on SSI because of depression,I would think that doing things illegal and the worry that it would cause you would be very hard on you mentally seeing as how you ain't wrapped to tight in the first place.

But the place to find out about the laws is the SSA and not the thai visa forum,, if you want water,The best place to get it is to go to the well..

Pepe'

I second the motion to go direct to the SSA for advice. It is what they are paid for.

However, if you wish to continue receiving your SSI benefits while in Thailand, you can either ask them to send the cheque here, with its attendant problems of going missing, long (sometimes months) time to clear into a local account and high bank charges. Otherwise you can have it credited to a US account and use an ATM card to withdraw as, and when you need.

I wish to stress my previous post. You really should think twice, and then again several times about deciding to move here. Culture shock is always hard and can be impossible if you are depressed.

You will also find you can only live much cheaper if you live in a Thai manner. If you need or expect an American lifestyle, food etc. it may well cost you more than in the USA.

• 1 month later...

many people I know in thailand live on less than 20k baht a month. 960 us dollars is about 40k baht a month. with that much money, you can live very well in thailand, whether it is in bangkok, or any of the other cities in the country.

when I'm depressed, I meditate on what it is that is causing me to be depressed. and magically many times the problems just seem less serious, and many times, they disappear.

focus on the pursuit of happy memories. maybe if you have some solid happy memories in your mind that pop up all the time to make you laugh, maybe you will be happier.

I see people all over the place who are what you call cynics. how can a person be happy if all they do is complain?

think happy, and most probably you will be happy. it works for me.

just my 2 cents.

You can get SSI checks sent to your stateside bank, from where you should get a debit card at least 90 days before coming here. The bank should also have Internet access, so that you can check your account and have contact with the bank. The fact that your brother is here will help you emotional state and there are plenty of females that will compete for the opportunity to keep you happy and amused. Yes, I suggest that you come and try it out for 6 months. Keep away from the large cities and think of a small village as you home turf, making trips to other locations and your brother often. Wish you good luck. :o

• 4 weeks later...

As a retiree in Thailand for two years, I tried twice through Bangkok Bank, once through the International Division of Social Security and the other the American Embassy in Bangkok, to get a direct deposit of my checks to my Thailand bank account unsuccessfully.

The advice that Thailand doesn't have a correct wire transfer number for the U.S. Government to make direct deposits to Thai banks makes sense to me although the bank manager assured me she had other clients who had government checks coming in alll the time.

If SSI payments are payable to you when abroad (confirm this with SSA) setting up a direct deposit with a U.S. bank that has debit/atm cards ande online banking is the best advice in my opionion, and I have tried everything.

CAUTION: Medicare and Medicaid are definitely NOT a benefit you can obtain outside the United States. You would have to pay for all your medicine and medical care yourself out of the SSI payment you receive. You definitely should e-mail a major hospital treating farang near your brother or have him check on the cost of your meds from that hospital and what your treatment requirements cost.

I do not believe you are eleigible to receive medical care under the Thai system as you are not Thai. Check with SSA about the Medicare portion of your entitlement. Persons who are eleigible for Medicare and have Plan B taken out of their checks, receive a $50 increase in their check when they dis-enroll from Plan B, which of course is for doctor visits which are not available outside the U.S.

Good luck to you ol son, LOL is a great tonic for the blues. Just please be aware it can get lonely here too, things can upset you here just the same.

All the members here i'm sure wish you all the best and IT sums it up very well.

Do make sure you are ready for Thailand and all the things it will mean being here. Both good and bad.

Here's to a happy life :o

I suppose the message has been made that you're not going to be eligible for SSI if you're out of the US for a long time. But just to back up the message, look at Section 2114 of the Social Security Handbook: you must be a "resident" of the U.S. and "not be absent from the U.S. for a calendar month" to qualify for SSI. (There's an exception for students and military brats.)

To repeat, SSI is not the same as retirement Social Security and the rules are very different.

If you've any doubts about this, you ought to contact your local Social Security office -- perhaps there are other exceptions not in the Handbook. In any event, repaying benefits you weren't entitled to could be very expensive.

http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook/handbook.21/handbook-2114.html ://http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook...book-2114.html ://http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook...book-2114.html ://http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook...book-2114.html ://http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook...book-2114.html ://http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook...book-2114.html ://http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook...book-2114.html ://http://www.ssa.gov/OP_Home/handbook...book-2114.html

everything that could be said is already said, but let me add a couple of points:

1) the fact that you can get as many women as you want and sex in thailand doesn't doe anything to your feeling of lonelyness. Ever heard of loneliness in a croud of people?

It can be that Iam wrong because I'm a woman looking at matters from my point of view, but when you are homesick or feeling down and troubled you need something more. You need pampering, tender loving care, someone that really speaks your language and knows what you mean, someone that listens and cares. That pulls you out of your bed to the bathroom to the table to have some food to go for a walk, etc.

Do you really find it in the bars? are those ladies mature and really caring?

Maybe, you know beter than me.

2)I notice in this site that quite some foreigners commit suicide, and Thailand isn't the only country where it happens.

People go away from home in search of happiness, but they forget the probleem is within them and not in the place they live.

Happiness and harmony came from inside. Learning to deal with yourself and your weaknesses wil help solve the problems.

You can go to Thailand, but do it as a holiday, because the confrontation with another completely different world can put a lot of pressure on you. It is easier to handle if it's for a short time.

Why I write this?

because I know it from own experience and because depression isn't something one talks easly about, but therapie and family and friends help a lot. And of course medecines. I have a normal life and do intellectual work. And next month I go to Thailand for 3 weeks holiday. It's a little scary but I want to do it. Life is just what you make out of it. Don't you agree?

Maybe someone in this site (male, female, couple, etc. you only need to be a nice persoon) likes to drop me a line with suggestions about places to see of even to meet somewhere for a drink next month in thailand

take care

anamore

• 8 months later...

This link may help as I understand it SS payments are just that doesnt make any difference if it is disability as long as you contuie to meet the requirments.

www.ssa.gov/international/your_ss.html

Edited by divndave

I happen to be the Manager of the US Social Security Office here on Saipan....

SSI (Supplemental Security Income) is a Federal public assistance (welfare) program that is funded out of the general revenues of the US. You must be residing in the US in order to get SSI. If you leave the US and are gone for 30 days your SSI will be suspended. Your SSI won't start again until you have been back in the US for 30 days.

You might get away, for a while, with leaving the US without reporting and leaving your mailing address and bank account in the US. Of course, this would constitute fraud. The government does vigorously investigate and prosecute this sort of crime.

On the other hand, Social Security beneftis (retirement, survivors and disability) are payable even when you are out of the US (with a few exceptions). You can either have your checks deposited in a US bank and use your ATM card for withdrawals or you can have your check sent to the US branch of a Thai bank for transfer to a Thai branch. This seems to work with Bangkok Bank.

I will retire from the government in March and relocate to Thailand in April. I plan to have my retirement checks sent to the Bank of the Internet and use my debit card from them for purchases and ATM withdrawals. This bank charges no fees and offers about 2% interest on "senior" checking accounts. They charge no network ATM fees and reimburse you up to $8 a month in other ATM fees.

everything that could be said is already said, but let me add a couple of points:

1) the fact that you can get as many women as you want and sex in thailand doesn't doe anything to your feeling of lonelyness. Ever heard of loneliness in a croud of people?

It can be that Iam wrong because I'm a woman looking at matters from my point of view, but when you are homesick or feeling down and troubled you need something more. You need pampering, tender loving care, someone that really speaks your language and knows what you mean, someone that listens and cares. That pulls you out of your bed to the bathroom to the table to have some food to go for a walk, etc.

Do you really find it in the bars? are those ladies mature and really caring?

Maybe, you know beter than me.

2)I notice in this site that quite some foreigners commit suicide, and Thailand isn't the only country where it happens.

People go away from home in search of happiness, but they forget the probleem is within them and not in the place they live.

Happiness and harmony came from inside. Learning to deal with yourself and your weaknesses wil help solve the problems.

You can go to Thailand, but do it as a holiday, because the confrontation with another completely different world can put a lot of  pressure on you. It is easier to handle if it's for a short time.

Why I write this?

because I know it from own experience and because depression isn't something one talks easly about, but therapie and family and friends help a lot. And of course medecines. I have a normal life and do intellectual work. And next month I go to Thailand for 3 weeks holiday. It's a little scary but I want to do it.  Life is just what you make out of it. Don't you agree?

Maybe someone in this site (male, female, couple, etc. you only need to be a nice persoon) likes to drop me a line with suggestions about places to see of even to meet somewhere for a drink next month in thailand

take care

anamore

Excellent post.

She's right about coming here expecting Thailand to be your panacea. Many others have tried and failed- and some even have worsened their conditions.

To be a survivor here, one needs to have their head on straight and be able to deal with the inherrent stresses here by healthy means, not more self-destructive means. This place is like a candy store. You can do ANYTHING your heart desires here, given enough money... Many can't seem to control or limit themselves, and start to spiral down- anyone who's been around here for a few years can think of numerous personal examples, I'm sure.

Clinical Depression is not the same as Clinical Psychosis, so as long as you're able to stay in the rational here and now, there's no reason to think that moving anywhere will, in itself, be dangerous to you or someone else. But, prepare yourself for the basic stress that comes from moving into a very foreign culture and way of life. It's likely that much of your depression comes from not dealing well with stress, so you internalize it.... Doing that here for too long will likely drive you deeper into depression. What are you going to do differently here when those issues occur (as they always will) ?

Be serious with yourself, and don't 'escape' to Thailand. Nobody has ever really succeeded at escaping from themselves.. :o