Suwanaphum Airport - Noise Pollution Concerns

Jai Dee

TRANSPORT MINISTER TO PROBE INTO POSSIBLE IMPACTS FROM THE OPERATION AT THE SUWANNAPHUM AIRPORT

Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisarn (พงษ์ศักดิ์ รักตะพงษ์ไพศาล) ordered a study on possible noise pollution resulting from the opening of the Suwannaphum (สุวรรณภูมิ) airport.

Mr. Pongsak instructed the Airport of Thailand company and the Department of Civil Aviation, in cooperation with King Mongkut’s Institute of Technology Ladkrabang (ลาดกระบัง) to conduct a study on possible impacts from noise pollution that could result from the operation at the Suwanaphum International Airport. He added that the airport will have another test landing in January to measure its noise level as the technical tests on September 29 yielded noise at the level of more than 80 decibels, which is considered too high, possibly affecting studying at the Institute.

The Transport Minister said that if the Institute is really affected by the operation of the Suwannaphum airport, the Airport of Thailand company has to find ways to resolve the problems.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 02 December 2005

Usually noise studies are one of the first things done when studying the feasability of a site for an airport.....guess they forgot....better late than never?....I guess this does provide for another way to transfer money to rich people so I guess it serves some useful function.

Usually noise studies are one of the first things done when studying the feasability of a site for an airport.....guess they forgot....better late than never?....I guess this does provide for another way to transfer money to rich people so I guess it serves some useful function.

Information about the noise contour is already some time on the website of the new BKK airport available as you can see here:

noise contour

Another question is of how accurate these pics are.

Plus they have apparently just realised that with the huge rubish tips in Soi On Nuch attracting huge flocks of Crows and Seabirds, plus the Airports proximity to the mangroves and mudflats around Samut Prakarn the chances of bird strikes are quite high too.

Patrick

There are some fairly expensive MooBaans out in that direction. They are quite worried about the noise levels and have been complaining about potential noise levels for quite some time. On the other hand, most of the upper class Thai's that I have met seem to run their AC 24/7, so I don't think they will even notice the extra noise.

As a farang, I have to say that I find the whole concept of Thai's complaining about noise to be somewhat surreal! :o Everywhere in Thailand, even out in small towns, I constantly hear two stroke motorcycles, loud radios and TVs, people with loudspeakers, Roosters sounding off ever minute from 2am to 10am, etc...etc... Will they even notice an airplane or two thrown into the mix?

As a farang, I have to say that I find the whole concept of Thai's complaining about noise to be somewhat surreal!  :D  Everywhere in Thailand, even out in small towns, I constantly hear two stroke motorcycles, loud radios and TVs, people with loudspeakers, Roosters sounding off ever minute from 2am to 10am, etc...etc...  Will they even notice an airplane or two thrown into the mix?

I know what you mean. I live on the flight path for Chiangmai Airport and barely even notice any more, but that karaoke bar up the street does p!ss me off. :o

The Transport Minister said that if the Institute is really affected by the operation of the Suwannaphum airport, the Airport of Thailand company has to find ways to resolve the problems.

How they gonna do that? :o

Turn it into a golf-course?

Double, even triple glazing.

After all it is only money!!

I often stay in the Orchid hotel in Mumbai, located right beside one runway of the

International/Domestic airport. Sound is minimal, even though I can look out of the

window and see the aircraft waiting for the word to roll and take-off.

Sometimes the come in past the window.

Well the web site confirms my view on the spelling.

Heaven help the future foreign visitors, with all the different spellings

Agreed - that was why I suggested to anyone that would listen that they more or less retain the original name of the area and call it Bangkok's Cobra Lake Airport!

I think it would show real character and be absolutely memorable to any and all travellers - people thought I was kidding, but one Thai friend of mine thought for a while and then agreed that it would be a great name for it.

We have just moved into the area that may be affected by the noise over the northern approaches to the airport, but I have no idea of the altitude by the time they will pass overhead.

Even in Nonthaburi we used to get the flights that went west - such as the Dubai flights by Emirates at around 1am or so - but I got quite used to it.