Cow Milk Fat Content

Pseudolus

Does anyone happen to know the fat content of the milk produced by those coxs / ox you see wondering around the place? I suspect it is fairly low for no real scientific reason, and if so, is there a beast that has a high fat content milk in Thailand?

Ox produce zero milk, so fat content is zero. The local cows are not used to produce milk/dairy products to any degree. Jersey, Gurnsey were always said to produce high fat milk, where Holsten have a lower content. The dairy farmers at home used to run Gurnsey with Holstens to get better fat content thus better price for raw milk. Seems like they would run a ratio of about 1 to 8, but could be mistaken on exact ratio.

They have buffalo here though which has a high fat content i believe. Are they farmed for milk? Reason I am asking is that I want to make some clotted cream and would prefer to use unpasteurised milk.

You would be a fool to use untested milk in Thailand where TB is not uncommon. It would be much safer to buy from a tested herd or dairy IMO

• Like 1

Very sound advice indeed - I wasn't really thinking of walking up to a farmer and just trying to buy some milk off the cuff. more trying to find out which type of beasts here would be the ideal, and then try to narrow it down from there. I'm a tad sceptical on "officially tested" here though, so I have seen so many variations by passing these kinds of requirement in my time here. Best bet would be what then? Large dairy co-op that sells into one of the big chains? Just have to compromise initially I guess and pop down to Tops.

Very sound advice indeed - I wasn't really thinking of walking up to a farmer and just trying to buy some milk off the cuff. more trying to find out which type of beasts here would be the ideal, and then try to narrow it down from there. I'm a tad sceptical on "officially tested" here though, so I have seen so many variations by passing these kinds of requirement in my time here. Best bet would be what then? Large dairy co-op that sells into one of the big chains? Just have to compromise initially I guess and pop down to Tops.

After thinking about this again, when you make clotted cream you heat the cream in an oven for 8 hrs @ 180F then refrigerate this will of course pasturise the milk. My apologeis, you should be OK.

• Like 1

So, from which reliable source/dairy can you buy unpasteurized fresh milk for home cheese

making?

That is the other part of my grand plan. I am bored with my hobby of molecular gastrony now, got a smoke house thing happening, but now want to make clotted cream and also cheese. Start with the clotted cream first, but I am 100% interested in making cheese as well.

When I have some dairies identified I will post up here. Of course, if any member sells milk to a co-op then let us know.

So, from which reliable source/dairy can you buy unpasteurized fresh milk for home cheese

making?

Pasturised milk is just as good for making cheese at home. I made a cross between Lancashire and wensleydale (Lancydale). It turned out OK, slightly salty. I aged it in mutton-cloth and this (unplanned) turned it blue. So I changed it's name to Grimley Blue.

You can get Rennet on Ebay. A tiny little bottle will last you ages. Just post it out from UK. Its only the size of an eye drop bottle

making?

Pasturised milk is just as good for making cheese at home. I made a cross between Lancashire and wensleydale (Lancydale). It turned out OK, slightly salty. I aged it in mutton-cloth and this (unplanned) turned it blue. So I changed it's name to Grimley Blue.

You can get Rennet on Ebay. A tiny little bottle will last you ages. Just post it out from UK. Its only the size of an eye drop bottle

Go great with the pickled onions I have left over from Xmas - I added no salt to them at all, and are as a result, craving the stuff. Cheese press- Make your own?