Extensions And Reporting...

I am off to Korat to do my 90 reporting early next week. I asked a Thai couple if they wanted to come along for the ride. They asked what was the 90 day reporting thing. I explained about how I had to go to Bangkok each year for an extension and then every 90 days inform immigration I was still at my address. I could swear they got a headache just thinking about it :o Anyway, they asked a very good question, and one I had not even considered due to being reasonably young :D How can you do all that when you are older? So my question is, when we all get old and frail how the h_ll do we get to Bangkok for the yearly extension? No dramas with the reporting of course. Maybe this is another tick in the plus box for Perm Res :D

Good point. Maybe when one becomes frail enough the rules have changed (like with the 90-day reporting) so we can mail it in or even email it...?

I will go for perm. res when I get my 3rd yearly extension - as more and more detect Thailand in the future (wuth Southern Europe and Latim America becoming too expensive) I think that visa rules can become more restrictive. Cheers!

Perhaps there is an Immigration office closer to your home?

I am not sure you will get permanent residence as a retiree.

I believe they like to see a good tax paying record, which you will not have.

Sad.

Sad.

You're correct. A few years ago you could get PR based on retirement but they removed that option. :o

Sad.

My belief too. I'd be happy to contribute directly to the "tax man" to qualify. I wonder how much they think is "enough". :o

In my case no :D But even if they do make the Korat office fully functional in the future, I am talking about, walking sticks/wheel chairs/ respirator old.

Sad.

Agree with that Astral, so that will put the majority of people staying here in a pretty bad situation later on in life :D

I doubt if anybody looks forward to old age, but unfortuanatley most of us will get there sooner or later. Maybe there is some concession in the immigration act that provides for this situation :o Or maybe thats just wishful thing on my behalf.

I suppose you could always pay someone to do your extension for you. And, of course, the 90 reporting is easily done by mail. No traveling necessary.

When I first started working at CMU for the first few years I never saw immigration. At that time you could sign a "letter of proxy" and someone else could then do the visa extension for you. Later I was told that now immigration want's to see you in person. Don't know if that is true or not or if my agent at CMU decided it was too much work for them. :o

In Bangkok they became stricter over the last few years. Want to see me, non-imm B, and my wife (non-imm O as dependant) in person, once a year.

Follow-up can be done by my staff.

Stange as well, re-entry permits, messenger not allowed, in person, or strange, my wife can go with her and my p/port even if only I need a rentry.

90-day's reporting we do rarely, as travellling in/out in between, but if necessary, can do by messenger.