Golf In Laos

sticklee

I just got back from a Laos trip, primarily (?) a Visa run but also a trip to take an opportunity to visit a new place, with golf clubs of course. I flew via NOK on a great promo flight to Udon and ventured down to KK to play Singha Park. Very nice course and facility. A bargain on Tues., Wed sports day for 700B. Without a car it was an effort to get there. Before entering Laos I stayed on night in NK and played Victory Park. Too bad about the neglected condition as it's a very nice course. In Laos I played Lao Country Club, Dansavannh and SEA Games courses. The LCG ($37.50incl.) is a superior facility, fantastic course, incredible locker facility. Lots of variety hole to hole, undulating fairways, creative sand traps, big sculpted greens. All in perfect condition. Everything about this course was first rate, (except caddies). Might be the best course I have played so far in Asia. Dansavannh ($40 w/buggy+caddie) is worth it once. The shuttle is free there and back. The course is rough but a great, fun, hilly layout. Take a buggie, and there's lots of balls on sale from local kids. SEA Games Golf Course ($36incl.) reminds me of a Florida course, without water between holes. Flat and no two fairways adjoin so losing balls is a real possibility because it's narrow with heavy brush bordering every fairway. Not a lot of water and not too many traps. Very much a championship style course and less of a 'tourist' course. Lacking something in character for me, lots of 'sameness', but in superb condition. Too bad the caddies at all courses lack knowledge, maybe the first I ever had was at SEA GC.. I have some helpful phone numbers if anyone needs, <email removed> SEA GC is about 20KM from the monument, Laos GC is closer and not far from the bridge. There are also 2 nine hole courses, KM 14 ( near Lao GC and I think also called Youth Garden?) And Vientiane Club, both can be located on Google Maps. There's also at least one driving range. A GPS would be helpful if you're adventurous and want to find you're own way. I rented a motorcycle for 2 days and went to SEA GC, with clubs, on it. Are there any Laos readers?? On Google maps there is a course west of the airport clearly visible. I went in search and think I found the sideroad off the highway but ventured no further.

I have loads of photos, I'll try and add some....later....

Edited by metisdead
13) Not to post email addresses in posts due to potential spam problems. Use PM function instead.

Just did a little checking on Asian courses. Appears there are also a few in Myanmar. As for Laos, read a troubling article from a few years back about how the Lao govt went about acquiring land to lease to a Vietnamese development company for a new course and resort. Sounds like they offered the farmers on the land about 3% of its value, kicked them off, and pocketed the remaining 97% that the foreign dev company paid for the land.

Guess deals like this would explain the ridiculous number of luxury cars with Lao plates that fill up Udon Thani on weekends. Aek Udon International hospital's parking structure is also full of the same. Funny how the streets are full of pickup trucks, Honda jazz's and the like with Thai plates, and brand new Benz's and such with Lao plates.

Call me altruistic, but I'll have to think a bit before playing in Laos. Hopefully not all the courses were built on confiscated land. At least TL has basic land rights for it's people. And a Communist govt is supposed to benefit who?

Sorry, have to remember what the wife says...You think too much. Just hit the ball...

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Just did a little checking on Asian courses. Appears there are also a few in Myanmar. As for Laos, read a troubling article from a few years back about how the Lao govt went about acquiring land to lease to a Vietnamese development company for a new course and resort. Sounds like they offered the farmers on the land about 3% of its value, kicked them off, and pocketed the remaining 97% that the foreign dev company paid for the land.

Guess deals like this would explain the ridiculous number of luxury cars with Lao plates that fill up Udon Thani on weekends. Aek Udon International hospital's parking structure is also full of the same. Funny how the streets are full of pickup trucks, Honda jazz's and the like with Thai plates, and brand new Benz's and such with Lao plates.

Call me altruistic, but I'll have to think a bit before playing in Laos. Hopefully not all the courses were built on confiscated land. At least TL has basic land rights for it's people. And a Communist govt is supposed to benefit who?

Sorry, have to remember what the wife says...You think too much. Just hit the ball...

I have to agree with your wife on this one. Don't believe all you read on the internet regarding land rights in Laos. The luxurious Laotian cars you see in Udon are indeed 90% health tourists visiting AEK Udon. Do you have a problem with Laotians having money?

As for the OP-very good and accurate post. There are 4+ driving ranges in Vientiane of varying quality.

Don't have a problem with anyone having money, but don't agree with it being concentrated within the families of the political elite, and at the cost of the un-connected. The govt should be taking care of its people, not lining their own pockets by plundering the resources of Laos.

My land info source was the Asia Times and the story regarding the resort being developed be the Vietnamese Long Thranh company, who's CEO is a leader in the Vietnamese communist party.

As for the Lao luxury cars, for healthcare tourists, they spend a lot of time at Central shopping center and UD Town shopping center stocking up on consumer goods unavailable in Laos.

And where do folks from such a poor country get the money for such expensive luxury cars? Guess Communist party positions pay very well....

Ive played in laos also, there is KM 6 9 hole course out hwy13S turn right at the mercedes dealership and left after the bridge thats fun also and cheaper 10000kip for 9 holes short with lots of water,(find it on Hobo map of VTE) I love LCC, take note they start everybody from sunrise to 830 on both 1 and 10 next available tee time is about 1100 am thru the afternoon much better now after redoing the whole course last year, I don't like the caddys no english can;t read a putt and one took my persperation towel put it on her head and wanted to keep it, I like dansavahn too but it starts drying out this time of year LCC is KM14 youth gardens redone Kolao paid for the renovations

lcc

If you look on Google maps there is a distinctly visible golf course due west of the airport a few km. No idea how old the Google image is. Maybe an abandoned project or a new development not yet open?? I'm looking on Google maps now. If you follow hwy 13 past, what is called on the map, Sithong Rd. about .5 km to the next significant left turn it's down this road maybe as much as 10km. 3 pharmacies near the intersection are labelled. What is more curious and I just noticed it, maybe about 5km along this road, just past a network of ponds called Nong Teng Fish Pond, on the right hand side there are what appears to be 3 golf holes, only 3!. Maybe private? Looks like a large house in the middle with a pool.

I'll be darned, you are right I do see that golf course now, we have piece of property very close to that intersection and I'll be back in VTE next week for a couple weeks I;ll see if I can make a run up there and see what the deal is, I ve never heard about it, as far as newness of the photos I am guessing its about 18 months old, my neighbors building pad is there and the river bank reconstruction in Kaowleio village is started but not very far along, I plan on playing lao cc, vientiane golf club, and maybe dansavanh, so I will post about that new course, my friend that lives in VTE says to not bother going to the ASEAN games course, as it is not very well taken care of but they do have carts there I hear

I'll find out what I can about that place and post it in a couple weeks, SEA course is a long ride from that side of town doubt if II'll get over there easier to run up to dansavanh for the day on the shuttle, or I really like lao cc and vientiane gc should be fun

Don't have a problem with anyone having money, but don't agree with it being concentrated within the families of the political elite, and at the cost of the un-connected. The govt should be taking care of its people, not lining their own pockets by plundering the resources of Laos.

My land info source was the Asia Times and the story regarding the resort being developed be the Vietnamese Long Thranh company, who's CEO is a leader in the Vietnamese communist party.

As for the Lao luxury cars, for healthcare tourists, they spend a lot of time at Central shopping center and UD Town shopping center stocking up on consumer goods unavailable in Laos.

And where do folks from such a poor country get the money for such expensive luxury cars? Guess Communist party positions pay very well....

I don't wish to turn this thread into anything other than what it was intended, but, some people from this poor country have made money from legitimate hard work. A lot of the people you see at shopping malls in Udon are indeed shopping for things that are not available in Laos. Why do you have a problem with this?

They are not all government officials, just hard working succesful people!

Having lived in Laos for over 8 years I have never had a problem with the communist party government and the vast majority of Laos people don't either.

Lao CC has raised its prices to 300000 kip weekdays and 350000 on the weekends and the starting people on 1 and 10 format is only on the weekend, very nice place to play a round, I did find Lao Inter golf course and am going up to play today and will report back after

Lao CC has raised its prices to 300000 kip weekdays and 350000 on the weekends and the starting people on 1 and 10 format is only on the weekend, very nice place to play a round, I did find Lao Inter golf course and am going up to play today and will report back after

Is it easy to drive car from Nong Khai to Vientienne? How far is it? And how far from the city to the courses? Are there tourist/road maps available showing where they are?

I picked up a city map which doesn't help much locating golf courses. I located them easily on Google maps. Take the shuttle to Dansavannh, it's free. The other courses are all within 20km or so of city centre. Lao CC is not far from the bridge.

I went up to the new Lao Inter golf course, you drive out Laung Prabang road past the airport about 6 kms as soon as you pass the right turn that takes you towards the university ( its the main road and has signs for various places on the raod and a police box) no more than 500 meters left turn paved road and just stay on this road for a I guess 6 kms (we got lost and backtracked a couple times) past Ban Champa another 1 km or so right turn theres a sign for Lao Inter golf course and follow it back, Its not officially open yet and the course shows it the grass is thin with soft sandy dirt but its nice much like Dansavanh every hole has the bush on both sides narrow fairways and many bunkers greens are nice interductory price is 200000 kip $25 including caddy, it has a 680 yard par 6 and 1 green with a sand trap in the middle of it, we played on a monday mornng early and literally were the only 2 people to play all day!!!! we will play again this week and get a better feel for the place, it is out in the boonys thou difficult to explain where you want to go it would be easier to tell a driver that you want to go to Tadmoon waterfalls its less than 500 metrs from there, if you have a hobo map the turn is right above the note showing red roofs police box, that 3 hole course is on a lao military base, callao

a couple more updates KM 6 Vientiane golf club is now 115000 kip during the week for 9 holes, course is in the best shape Ive seen it, played Lao Inter again, there is a sign for Lao Inter at Luang Prabang rd and there is road construction on the road all the way to the course, wouldn't recommend going on a motorbike, alternatively you can take Kaolieo village rd past the paved rd dirt rd over a small bridge throu Ban Mai just past a village temple right turn at power pole marked km23 about 5 kms past Tadmoon waterfalls another 1km left turn at the sign for the course, again only a coulpe other groups playing and enjoyed it more knowing the course a little bit, either way tou go its a rough track the road is pretty rought both directions

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

a couple more updates KM 6 Vientiane golf club is now 115000 kip during the week for 9 holes, course is in the best shape Ive seen it, played Lao Inter again, there is a sign for Lao Inter at Luang Prabang rd and there is road construction on the road all the way to the course, wouldn't recommend going on a motorbike, alternatively you can take Kaolieo village rd past the paved rd dirt rd over a small bridge throu Ban Mai just past a village temple right turn at power pole marked km23 about 5 kms past Tadmoon waterfalls another 1km left turn at the sign for the course, again only a coulpe other groups playing and enjoyed it more knowing the course a little bit, either way tou go its a rough track the road is pretty rought both directions

I will head up there in a few weeks when I get some time off work. There isn't any information locally about this course. I work with some keen Laotian golfers and they didn't know about it.

To the OP, how about them photos??

Not in any particular order. I enjoyed Dansavanh despite the condition which is apparent in the photos. I shot a reasonable 86. post-96577-0-41751700-1331087369_thumb.j This nasty 450 yd. par 4 2nd shot I had was about 200yds. all downhill with no lay up because it sloped all the way to the water. I managed to get it into the gnarly rough slpoe in front of the gren. Luckily found the ball by almost stepping on it. Popped it out and 2 putted for a happy bogie.post-96577-0-38579000-1331087512_thumb.jVery cool one person buggie.post-96577-0-48301900-1331087619_thumb.j Short uphill first hole for openerpost-96577-0-55847100-1331087734_thumb.j#2 tight tee shotpost-96577-0-72821200-1331087853_thumb.j#3 206yd. form blue. Nowhere to miss!post-96577-0-76510300-1331087974_thumb.j#5, difficult tee shot if you can't draw your driver.post-96577-0-03215300-1331088100_thumb.j#7, one of many dog-legspost-96577-0-10064300-1331088199_thumb.j#13, par 5. Lay up in front or stream, 2nd shot to the cornerpost-96577-0-68224700-1331088306_thumb.jThis is the tee shot on nasty #17, no idea what is over the hill!post-96577-0-52848600-1331088405_thumb.j#17 looking back, gives an idea of what you have to deal with