US Embassy Maintains Terror Threat Warning On Its Website

webfact

Funny how the Thai government thinks they can tell another sovereign nation what to do. Makes me wonder if Thailand would warn its citizens.....

Your answer, "I doubt it" !!!!!! very much

Especially if it means loss of the almighty Tourist Baht!

Looks like someone is trying very hard to convince Thailand that US is needed, just to make sure they don't make bff with China...pathetic closedeyes.gif

I don't understand; what does your comment mean?

I assume he is alluding to the conspiracy theory that this potential terrorist attack couldn't have come at a better time for the US as it ticks all sorts of boxes.

If Thailand can be pushed to join the global war on terrorism it will strengthen their alliance with the US who have been working hard over the last couple of months on getting a number of asian-pacific nations on side as a bulwark against China. With Hezzbollahs links to Iran it also puts pressure on China due to the regional threat to join the sanctions against Iran that Tim Geitner failed to get them to sign up to a couple of weeks back. It also provides another justification for the US or Israel to attack Iran by firmly linking them in to the global terror threat.

Yes, this is very plausible. Dirty tricks before the war, as in Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq please add to the list. It will fill pages.

Uhu...Correction I mixed days 26. December was the day. When that is said it was all over the media the following days. It was also to find on TV for long but must have been removed because I can’t find it when searching. that the Government with Mr. T in the chair got information about a possible Tsunami early that same morning and was discussing an eventually warning in a meeting between Government agencies and the Thai meteorological centre. Couple of hours later the Tsunami struck.

The Tsunami was a terrible thing and I was here in Phuket in the middle of it myself so should not have mixed days and I apologies for that and all respect to they who lost family members and friends in the Tsunami.

Thailand’s meteorological department knew by 8:10 a.m. (local time) on Sunday about an hour before the first waves hit that a powerful earthquake had struck near Sumatra, and they discussed the possibility that the quake could cause large sea disturbances. The department had already distributed information pamphlets several years ago explaining the risks of tsunamis around southern Thai beach resorts.

But without definitive proof of an imminent tsunami, the meteorological department dared not issue a national warning lest it be accused of spreading panic and hurting the tourism industry if the disturbances did not materialize.

“Not every earthquake that occurs in the sea will cause a tsunami; it is very difficult to know,” said Sumalee Prachuab, a seismologist at the department. “If we issue a warning about the possibility of a tsunami, people will panic very much.”

Financial Times, December 29, 2004

I don't think anyone has to worry about Thialand moving closer to China versus the US.

Thaiiland, like any other country, does what it is sees is in it's own best interests.

Thailand has solid relations with China but, due to geography, China is more of a regional threat so they will always have more common interests with the US.

In the past, Thailand has certainly worked with China when they had common interests, such as supporting/protecting the Khmer Rouge against the Hun Sen government. But, of course, the US and its allies were happy with that, too.

But in contemporary times, there is more cooperation with other ASEAN members, Thailand and Vietnam have good relations and are not fighting for regional supremecy.

The US will work to encourage balance in the region will view ASEAN members as allies.

If the American Embassy is still posting a terrorism attack warning in regards to Bkk after the current arrest and investigation it's a fair assumption that their intelligence gathering services have a little more info than the rest of us. If they take down the warning and then an attack takes place they'll be slaughtered by the media etc. Damned if they do, damned if they don't....

• Like 2

Australia Reinforced the US Terrorist warning again today.

Thailand overall

Yala, Pattani, Narathiwat and Songkhla

• Exercise normal safety precautions
  • Exercise a high degree of caution
  • Reconsider your need to travel
  • Do not travel

Latest update

This Advice was last issued on Saturday, 21 January 2012. It contains new information in the Summary and under Safety and Security: Terrorism (in January 2012, Thai authorities made arrests and seizures in Bangkok in relation to an alleged terrorist plot). The overall level of the advice has not changed.