'Thailand recognizes Palestine as independent state'

News_Editor

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll piss off Israel, but make the rest of the Arab countries a little bit happier about Thailand. Either way, it gets Thailand's name in the newspapers for something other than a negative effect on tourism (e.g. Terrorism alert / flooding / tourist deaths), so on the whole it's likely going to be a good thing.

Less Israeli tourists would be a magnificent side bonus of this action !!!!!! And since this government seems to be so forward thinking when it comes to oppressed groups of people, they can now turn their attention to Pattani in the deep south, and free those people. Unless.......... this current action was simply a blatant attempt to ward off terrorism. I suspect if you gave a blank map of the world to most Thais and asked them to point out where Palestine is, they would be in trouble.

Edited by EyesWideOpen

It sounds like Thailand is a State Facilitator of Terrorism or at least a Safe Haven for Terrorist.

I wonder how PM Yingluck will explain that to her new friend Philippine President Aquino that Thailand is allowing terrorists to stage attacks on the Philippines from Thailand, assuming you believe the arrested terrorists about saying Thailand was not the target and so the Philippines might have been.

Regardless, which ever country was the target, how should they feel about Thailand facilitating terrorist attacks against their countries?

http://www.thaivisa....__fromsearch__1

Yes, but Thailand usually thinks only in the short-term.

The same gyrations you see going on right now with this issue, the terrorism threat, will all be played out again should something happen. When they can't dazzle us with brilliance, they baffle us with BS.

It'll piss off Israel, but make the rest of the Arab countries a little bit happier about Thailand. Either way, it gets Thailand's name in the newspapers for something other than a negative effect on tourism (e.g. Terrorism alert / flooding / tourist deaths), so on the whole it's likely going to be a good thing.

Less Israeli tourists would be a magnificent side bonus of this action !!!!!! And since this government seems to be so forward thinking when it comes to oppressed groups of people, they can now turn their attention to Pattani in the deep south, and free those people. Unless.......... this current action was simply a blatant attempt to ward off terrorism. I suspect if you gave a blank map of the world to most Thais and asked them to point out where Palestine is, they would be in trouble.

I dont think your comment about a blank map of the world just applies to Thais. Most Americans couldn't tell you where Iraq or Afghanistan were if you gave them a map that wasn't blank.

I doubt very much that the recognition of Palestine will have any affect on the southern situation. It will simply not bring in radical elements. The Southern provinces have a little bit different history and there are other elements to the struggle. Thailand is keen to contain the problem. All they want to prevent is some extremist groups to 'take up the cause.'

In that regard, Mission Accomplished. But like the last Mission Accomplished, it may not work in the long term. If it doesn't work, they can't easily withdraw their recognition.

the possibility that they may loose some trade benefits from those who stand against this

I doubt that any serious commercial problems will result from this decision.

Not when it comes to trade between countries, and not as an effect on tourism.

At least this is how it worked so far with other supporters.

The USN doesn't have shore leave engagements that pump millions of $$ into the economies of Cuba, Bolivia, Zaire, etc.

Thailand can make its political decisions as it is an independent nation. However, it should not expect favours from countries when it doesn't help them out. Thailand benefits from generous trade arrangements with the EU and USA. If these countries wish to have the mideast peace settlement negotiate a certain way, then they will expect their friends, allies and beneficiaries to behave accordingly.

Thailand can make its political decisions as it is an independent nation. However, it should not expect favors from countries when it doesn't help them out.

You realize how bad that sounds?

Helping out is helping out.

Buying votes is buying votes.

threatening....veiled or not....economic sanctions in what ever form if you dont vote a certain way?

You know it is things like this that make you wonder if you need a program to tell the bad guys from the self declared good guys.

What you say, GK, is very true. It's an independent country and can/should make it's own decisions. But really, other than Israel, and to a lesser extent the US, who cares? There are a lot of countries that on board, for better or worse, so I think any sanctions will be minimal.

In the case of US-Thai relations, there is too much to lose on the US side. They need to keep an eye on what Thailand is allowing through it's borders, be it drugs, terrorists, pirated goods, etc.

The US still owes Thailand a debt of gratitude for the handover of Victor Bout.

The Coup saw the US bluster on a bit and cut funding to the military, but that's about it.

Most people can rest assured that Thailand's recognition of Palestine has nothing to do with morals or right and wrong. It has to do with expediency and self-interest.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - - Charles Bukowski

I very much doubt that statement!...........................Doh!

Got to love Charley B, I spent lots of time hanging out and listening to him at the Southern California Race Tracks back in the early 90s. He was a true degenerate in every sense of the world. But that was his charm. A great thinker.

You know it is things like this that make you wonder if you need a program to tell the bad guys from the self declared good guys.

Only if you think that "good guy" means a man without sin and there is no such thing, However Islamic terrorism is evil by almost any definition other than their own.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Only if you think that "good guy" means a man without sin and there is no such thing, However Islamic terrorism is evil by almost any definition other than their own.

Yes, Thailand can take the expedient route as it has done in the past, flip flopping allegiance as she did during WWII. However to do so may be pragmatic but is utterly amoral and the distinction IS good (though not perfect) versus evil, with it's backing of oceans of oil money.

What you say, GK, is very true. It's an independent country and can/should make it's own decisions. But really, other than Israel, and to a lesser extent the US, who cares? There are a lot of countries that on board, for better or worse, so I think any sanctions will be minimal.

In the case of US-Thai relations, there is too much to lose on the US side. They need to keep an eye on what Thailand is allowing through it's borders, be it drugs, terrorists, pirated goods, etc.

The Coup saw the US bluster on a bit and cut funding to the military, but that's about it.

Most people can rest assured that Thailand's recognition of Palestine has nothing to do with morals or right and wrong. It has to do with expediency and self-interest.

You make a good point. However, the mideast peace negotiaters have a strategy and expect third parties not to get in their way. Yes, I agree, the Thai position is basically irrelevant in light of the fact that Thailand is not respected in most of the middle east. However, when a country keeps doing things to piss off the countries that it relies on, it should not be surprised when those other parties, are not as accomodating. Realpolitik.

I also think Thaksin had a hand in this decision. it won't ingratiate him with the Arabs no matter what he thinks. he is an infidel, an idol worshipper in their eyes and he will be dealt with according to their culture and value system when the time is right.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

You make a good point. However, the mideast peace negotiaters have a strategy and expect third parties not to get in their way. Yes, I agree, the Thai position is basically irrelevant in light of the fact that Thailand is not respected in most of the middle east. However, when a country keeps doing things to piss off the countries that it relies on, it should not be surprised when those other parties, are not as accomodating. Realpolitik.

I also think Thaksin had a hand in this decision. it won't ingratiate him with the Arabs no matter what he thinks. he is an infidel, an idol worshipper in their eyes and he will be dealt with according to their culture and value system when the time is right.

It seems that the current government is just following up on what has gone on before rather something new according to this article from The Nation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/2011/07/05/opinion/Palestines-independence-tests-Asean-unity-30159438.html

Surely you mean ALL terrorism is evil, whether it is Islamic terrorism or people detonating car bombs in a foreign sovereign country, killing scientists and their drivers.
  • Like 2

*Deleted quote edited out*

So in the case of Thailand the following would qualify;-

2012.01.21 (Pattani, Thailand) - A widow is shot in the head by Islamic 'insurgents' while visiting her husband's grave.

2012.01.19 (Pattani, Thailand) - A 39-year-old Buddhist is gunned down by militants Muslims.

Infact the numbers are quite shocking in the last 10 years the deaths due to Islamic terror in the south of Thailand far outstrips the total number during the entire period of the Northern Ireland troubles, no wonder the Thai government seem at a loss as to how to tackle this, and perhaps recognizing the bogus claim of an annhialationist entity may be seen as a good short term fix.

Edited by Scott
Deleted quote edited out

If Thaksin still has a residence in the UAE and he was behind the decision it would benefit him greatly I'm sure.

Kudos to Thailand for recognizing Palestine as an independent state. Slowly the world is seeing it for what is has become, the world largest walled prison ruled over by an oppressive regime. Perhaps one day Thailand will also not allow Israel's visas as other countries with large Muslim populations have done.

• Like 1

Kudos to Thailand for recognizing Palestine as an independent state. Slowly the world is seeing it for what is has become, the world largest walled prison ruled over by an oppressive regime. Perhaps one day Thailand will also not allow Israel's visas as other countries with large Muslim populations have done.

"oppressive regime" would be the 57 totalitarian apartheid theocracies, the world does not need any more of them.

the possibility that they may loose some trade benefits from those who stand against this

I doubt that any serious commercial problems will result from this decision.

Not when it comes to trade between countries, and not as an effect on tourism.

At least this is how it worked so far with other supporters.

The USN doesn't have shore leave engagements that pump millions of $$ into the economies of Cuba, Bolivia, Zaire, etc.

Thailand can make its political decisions as it is an independent nation. However, it should not expect favours from countries when it doesn't help them out. Thailand benefits from generous trade arrangements with the EU and USA. If these countries wish to have the mideast peace settlement negotiate a certain way, then they will expect their friends, allies and beneficiaries to behave accordingly.

Are the USN restrictions a direct result of those countries recognising Palestine as a state or are in place due to other circumstances/factors? I'd guess that at least in the case of Bolivia, it would be more of a geographical issue :-).

I'm not aware of any direct trade/tourism enforces by the USA, EU or Israel that have to do with recognising Palestine as a state. Sure they're not happy with it, but don't think that by itself it leads to anything more than diplomatic blah blah.

Sadly, I have had to delete 13 off-topic posts and replies to them. Please stay on the topic of the OP,

It's particularly sad since some of the posts were quite informative, however, the terrorism theme as it relates to Thailand can be found in other threads.