Thai Tourism Agencies Eye March On US Embassy Over Terror Warning

webfact

I was under the impression that the authorities had recovered a substantial amount of bomb making equipment in the last few days, so what is the point of having a rally at the US Embassy? Seems like their warning was right. Tourism parties should be going to the airport and asking why did you not detect it?

I believe they found some fertilizer actually, I saw nothing reported about real explosives or timers or primers or detonaters, if you pop up to the shop near my place you will probably find over a thousand tons of 15:15:15 and 20:20:20 - but he sells it to put on your trees! The guy was probably making some money in the agriculture trade and pissed off a few Thai in the same business.

Edited by Willeyeam

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has ordered the setting up of a committee to evaluate the situation and lay down measures in case the US does not lift its warning within 1-2 weeks.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-20 footer_n.gif

LOL....I wonder what the measures will be ?......bursting into tears or a phone call to Obama saying "do you know who I am"

Primary school children running a country...

Earlier today I was thinking middle school. But yeah.. I think primary for sure

Seeing as they are still allowing free access; you all might want to see what Stratfor has to say about this issue...

"Bangkok is indeed a target-rich environment with a history of terrorist attacks, but today Hezbollah and other militant and criminal groups rely on the city as more of a business hub than anything else"

Enjoy.

Maybe protest groups should be organized in the United States to picket in front of the Thai embassies in Washington DC and New York as well as the Thai consulates in Chicago and Los Angeles protesting the attempted threat and blackmail of the proposed protest in Bangkok at the US embassy. if the Thais proceed with this preposterous threat to the US, it wouldn't be a surprise to see something like this.

The only problem with this idea is that most Americans do not give a rat's azz about Thailand, probably couldn't find it on a map and the only thing they know about the place is it's easy to get laid.

No, Thailand will have to throw their toys from the pram, stomp their feet and whinge for about an hour, then it's sang som time.

What if Australia, Great Britain, France, Canada and USA ALL decided that

' Thailand is aiding and abetting Hezbollah in terrorist operations on Thai soil.'

The Thai Foreign Minister would pop a blood vessel. The backlash would only make matters worse for Thailand as they have no concept of accepting responsibility for their actions. Much like a 3 year old.

And made permanent travel warnings and citizen travel restrictions,

and economic embargoes against Thailand, for the same?

Now your talking and is SOP in the US bag of tricks. How many years has there been a US Embassy travel warnings for Colombia, 20 years?

I suggest that Thailand needs to grow a pair

to function properly on the modern world stage.

I won't be holding my breath. The first step is to have a government that is not based on nepotism, cronyism and bribery.

• Like 2

I find this highly amusing.....Travel agents trying to dictate to the embassies/consulates of sovereign nations what they can and cant warn their own citizens about....what their next move start to sue the countries concerned in the world court ?....jerk.gif

I cannot help constantly visualising an ant crawling up an elephants rear leg with intentions of rape.

I have never considered the travel agents in the UK to be paragons of virtue and straight dealing, and I expect the Thal variety could teach them a thing or two in respect of improving the bottom line. I would hope that US Embassy staff are drawing lots to decide who gets to be the lucky one to accept the letter of protest - and then telling the rabble to go forth and multiply.

That Thailand wants to be friends with, everyone especially if they are seem to be the winning team, was amply demonstrated in 1941. Any comfort that Thailand gets from standing side by side with Hezbollah and Palestine may well prove to be illusionary.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has ordered the setting up of a committee to evaluate the situation and lay down measures in case the US does not lift its warning within 1-2 weeks.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-01-20 footer_n.gif

What?? Does the Guiness Book of Records know of this historic event? Is this the first time ever that a Thai Government has set up a committee without first setting up a committee to decide who should sit on the primary committee? Then the aguments will begin over who will act as Chairperson. Meanwhile Cambodia and Vietnam, maybe even Myanmar, will be cleaning up.

Yingluck sweetie, allow me tell you something. Ignore Big Bother or the mentally challenged cockroaches around you. There isn't a more profitable undertaking for any country than to declare war on the United States and to be defeated. Do you think that you can take that onboard? Ask Japan, they will confirm what I have written.

Thanks dualsportbiker for this link: http://www.stratfor.com/weekly/hezbollah-threat-thailand

It's definitely worth a read for those interested in this topic.

Good article.

In light of another interconnected building, it's logical to think not all of this opperation was intended to be in only the main storage area. They could have had 2-3 satelite assembly spots, and still be planning to ship some out of the country also. So I am not assuming that what we've been shown is more than a single point, and that there is not more than one spear tip to be avoided.

I'm confused. Not longtime ago whe had bombing in Thailand.Later, a red shirt from Chiang Mai used the same materials for terrorists aims, (no export). Bad manual, it didn't work.

We already had and have the threat. Yes, ok, the threaters are calmed down with posts in cabinet.

IMHO-

As always the new Government is pursuing propaganda to advance its agenda. Somehow they will use this to get the fugitive back into the country. I work with many Governments, but this one takes the case. The people put in these cabinet positions I suspect are for their allegiance and not by experience. They always deny to save face, but nothing good ever comes from them.

It seems for the people party, they really can’t understand their actions on the very people that put them in power. How many millionaires are in this cabinet and are the people of Thailand any better off?

Thanks dualsportbiker for this link: http://www.stratfor....threat-thailand

It's definitely worth a read for those interested in this topic.

Good article.

In light of another interconnected building, it's logical to think not all of this opperation was intended to be in only the main storage area. They could have had 2-3 satelite assembly spots, and still be planning to ship some out of the country also. So I am not assuming that what we've been shown is more than a single point, and that there is not more than one spear tip to be avoided.

Agreed the Stratfor piece is excellent and provides background that indicates the serious nature of a Hezbollah presence in Thailand. I couldn't find anything at Stratfor however about any implications to Thailand over its supposed recognition of the Palestine territory. I wonder if there was some sort of sword of Damocles in the picture, or what. Perhaps the or what could have involved a long time resident of the Middle East, Dubai in particular.

I'm also trying to figure any connection between this present incident and the insurgency in Pattani, Narithiwat, Yala, which has had some spillover into Songkhla to include the bombing of the Hat Yai airport several years ago and numerous bombings of markets in Hat Yai, where the army remains everpresent on the streets and sidewalks. It's clear Bangkok is a haven and transit center of global terrorism. Remember the not so mysterious planeload of arms the Thai government was embarrassed into having to bring down, which was Kazikstani if I recall correctly but flew from North Korea supposed bound for Sri Lanka? Now a new PM Office minister is found on the US Treasury Department list of consorts with Mugabe and associates in Rwanda.

There's also a lot of transit activity in the southernmost areas of Thailand beyond the four provinces I've mentioned. The coastal areas there are remote and porous. My own routine experience with Customs officers in the Port of Bangkok tells me they are less than honest, if one can believe that wai.gif .

Wow, Thailand is promoting Terrorist Tourism and welcomes terrorist business in Thailand.

What kind of visa does Thailand issue to terrorists to conduct business in Thailand?

Maybe other farangs would like such a visa as well.

www.stratfor.com/weekly/hezbollah-threat-thailand

Edited by z12

Aid and abet a terrorist group in doing terrorism

I suggest that Thailand needs to grow a pair

to function properly on the modern world stage.

I think if you look you will find some large countries aid & abet terrorist groups when it suits their needs.

But during those times they called them freedom fighters.

Later when they did not do their masters bidding they were deemed terrorist

As for growing a pair............I think Thailand does fine & proved it today when they recognized Palestine

along with 128 other countries

But what I wonder most these days when the Thai news section seems pretty much 100% slagging

Thailand's government is if any of the slaggers live in Thailand?

If so why then?

It is not like living in ones own country where complaining might bring change in elections you can vote in.

Just curious

You consider exploding a huge bomb at tourist sites to be an act of a freedom fighter?

So you are ok with people that don't agree with what you believe, to target you, your family, your home, your friends, your neighbors, your work site, your tourist destinations, your restaurant, your night club, your mall, etc etc etc

including exterminating everybody that does not believe what your believe.

*edited out*

Sorry you seem to have miscomprehended my post.....

Then again seems you just joined now to post your response?rolleyes.gif

My post said something quite different than your implying

Edited by flying

at least they care for their peoples safety and welfare, while in Thailand.jap.gifcoffee1.gif unlike Thailand

Well dont think its a case of caring, if they didnt issue the warnings and some US citizen was killed in Thailand due to terrorists, then there may be grounds to sue the goverment in the US for not informing people, also while warnings like this are in effect travel insurance polices could be affected....so not only doing it out the goodness of their heart I am sure..

OK but if there is something going on that you or I are not being told about here, and the Thais are wanting it to be silensed, wouldn't that be a shame on them, life is cheap here. They are saying it is hurting the tourist flow to Thailand, money is the 1st and only thought, you can see that in all the corruption going on.jerk.gif

I find this highly amusing.....Travel agents trying to dictate to the embassies/consulates of sovereign nations what they can and cant warn their own citizens about....what their next move start to sue the countries concerned in the world court ?....jerk.gif

I suggest that tourists, after returning home from Thailand, protest at their countries Thai embassy, bringing attention to the outrages of Jet Ski Mafia of Pattaya and Phuket.

Fair is fair :)

A mob of hotheads from tourist agencies threatening to storm the US embassy. I'm sure that will do a lot to relieve the impression of Thailand as a dangerous place for American visitors. Just how big of a caliber do these people want to use in order to shoot themselves in the foot?

Edited by zydeco
  • Like 1

A mob of hotheads from tourist agencies threatening to storm the US embassy. I'm sure that will do a lot to relieve the impression of Thailand as a dangerous place for American visitors. Just how big of a caliber do these people want to use in order to shoot themselves in the foot?

They've moved past shooting themselves in the foot.

hand-gun.jpg

• Like 2

Can't help thinking ole Muang Thai could do with a big kick up the proverbial. Slagging off the US, whining at Germany for their plane because of unpaid debts, muscling Cambodia, looking down on Burma, shyting on the southerners, treating its lucrative foreign expats like sheep. Oy, Thailand, NO!! You may have escaped colonialism (through fortune rather than mettle) and there may have been a time when you were the smiliest, warmest, most hospitable people on earth, but you have changed and are punching above your weight. Get a grip, Siam!

• Like 1

<snip>

I'm also trying to figure any connection between this present incident and the insurgency in Pattani, Narithiwat, Yala, which has had some spillover into Songkhla to include the bombing of the Hat Yai airport several years ago and numerous bombings of markets in Hat Yai, where the army remains everpresent on the streets and sidewalks. It's clear Bangkok is a haven and transit center of global terrorism. Remember the not so mysterious planeload of arms the Thai government was embarrassed into having to bring down, which was Kazikstani if I recall correctly but flew from North Korea supposed bound for Sri Lanka? Now a new PM Office minister is found on the US Treasury Department list of consorts with Mugabe and associates in Rwanda.

There's also a lot of transit activity in the southernmost areas of Thailand beyond the four provinces I've mentioned. The coastal areas there are remote and porous. My own routine experience with Customs officers in the Port of Bangkok tells me they are less than honest, if one can believe that wai.gif .

My first reaction to the recognition of Palestine was that the Thai gov't is keen to not have the problems in the south internationalized. I am sure that the Iranian sphere of influence could put a little pressure on Thailand with regard to a lot of activities in the south.

Thailand's goal is to keep things sabai, sabai. As long as it's in their interest to let terror-related activities pass through, they will do little. Unfortunately, the US gov't isn't of the same mindset.

Edited by Credo

<snip>

My first reaction to the recognition of Palestine was that the Thai gov't is keen to not have the problems in the south internationalized. I am sure that the Iranian sphere of influence could put a little pressure on Thailand with regard to a lot of activities in the south.

Thailand's goal is to keep things sabai, sabai. As long as it's in their interest to let terror-related activities pass through, they will do little. Unfortunately, the US gov't isn't of the same mindset.

Does that mean that with the Thai recognition of another Palestian state(Jordan being the first) that Thailand will also recognize another apartheid theocracy made out of Thailand's 5 southern provinces? IMO, You cannot give enough land for peace, they want all your land and you dead.

Thailand, IMO, has always taken the course of least resistance. Their goal is the protection of themselves (nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it can be short sighted). Each year the Thai gov't attends one of the big Islamic Conferences. There goal seems to be to keep any and all international intervention--by any group out of the Southern situation. Recognizing Palestine helps keep the Arab world off their back. Not doing so may have more adverse consequences.

The same principle seems to apply to the embassy warning. If it goes away, so will all the problems associated with it.

The longer I stay here, the more I'm inclined to believe that the government here really does not care about me as a foreigner. I don't not feel confident that I will be protected in any meaningful way if some threat to my safety were to present itself here. I thought Thailand was a recently industrialized, modern country... It's sad to live here and realize (deeply) these things. The government and the whole of the population (on average) doesn't seem to really want us here ... (another topic but related).

• Like 1

The longer I stay here, the more I'm inclined to believe that the government here really does not care about me as a foreigner. I don't not feel confident that I will be protected in any meaningful way if some threat to my safety were to present itself here. I thought Thailand was a recently industrialized, modern country... It's sad to live here and realize (deeply) these things. The government and the whole of the population (on average) doesn't seem to really want us here ... (another topic but related).

I pretty much realized that the first time I had to go to immigration. There are advantages to living here--a lot of them--which is why I stay. But staying here because they love us and want us (aside from our wallets) is not among those advantages.

• Like 2

IMHO-

As always the new Government is pursuing propaganda to advance its agenda. Somehow they will use this to get the fugitive back into the country. I work with many Governments, but this one takes the case. The people put in these cabinet positions I suspect are for their allegiance and not by experience. They always deny to save face, but nothing good ever comes from them.

It seems for the people party, they really can’t understand their actions on the very people that put them in power. How many millionaires are in this cabinet and are the people of Thailand any better off?

Good first post.

Thailand, IMO, has always taken the course of least resistance. Their goal is the protection of themselves (nothing necessarily wrong with that, but it can be short sighted). Each year the Thai gov't attends one of the big Islamic Conferences. There goal seems to be to keep any and all international intervention--by any group out of the Southern situation. Recognizing Palestine helps keep the Arab world off their back. Not doing so may have more adverse consequences.

The same principle seems to apply to the embassy warning. If it goes away, so will all the problems associated with it.

Great so now according you no more killing in the South The very rich stupid farangs on this site might agree with you. But I think the Moslems in the South think yoiu are a fool

Time will tell