Imports With No Green Book

robsamui

There is a guy riding a 600cc Honda Steed up where I live.

The number plate looks old enough to have come from a very old 2 stroke.

No tax etc but nobody bothers him because he is a policeman.

A couple of years ago I looked at buying a decent bike big in BKK and they same bike would come in a 2 prices, without and with a green book.

Usually around 80 to 100,000 baht difference.

Rule number one for a farang.

NEVER buy a big bike without a green book. It really isn't worth it in the long term nor sometimes in the short term.

It is not illegal to sell or buy a bike with no green book but don't pay anything until the DLT have issued the green book in your name at the DLT.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"This is also all the paperwork that is needed to get a Greenbook issued, but this will then cost a lot more money. But the Greenbook is only necessary to take the bike out of Thailand, or export it. Otherwise there is no need to obtain the Greenbook."

The seller told you / your friend this? They are lying through their teeth and you / your friend have been cheated.

The Greenbook is the title for the bike. It proves ownership and that the import tax has been paid.

No greenbook means you / your friend do not own the bike. It can be confiscated at any time.

If I were you I'd advise you / your friend to hide the bike and begin the tedious, slow and expensive process of having a green book issued.

Good luck!

"This is also all the paperwork that is needed to get a Greenbook issued, but this will then cost a lot more money. But the Greenbook is only necessary to take the bike out of Thailand, or export it. Otherwise there is no need to obtain the Greenbook."

The seller told you / your friend this? They are lying through their teeth and you / your friend have been cheated.

The Greenbook is the title for the bike. It proves ownership and that the import tax has been paid.

No greenbook means you / your friend do not own the bike. It can be confiscated at any time.

If I were you I'd advise you / your friend to hide the bike and begin the tedious, slow and expensive process of having a green book issued.

Good luck!

Good luck!

Oooof!

Yes - my friend was assured by the seller (seemingly legit importer in BKK) that this was the legal status/situation.

From this whole thread I have learned one thing. Don't buy without registration and a green book.

It might be fine for someone here for a year with money to burn and who's just going to later leave and (more or less) abandon the bike. And it seems to me that there a lot of guys here who are just passing through and want a bike to pose about on - don't care what it takes.

(The last bike I bought with no papers was bought knowingly - 400cc Suzuki sport. I paid 10,000B and abandoned it after 2 years. But nowadays people are asking 70-100K for the same thing.)

But if you're actually living here and reckon on being here another decade or so, don't even think of going there!

Thanks so much for all the people who have contributed. I was half convinced there were ways round the whole green book/registration process, but I can understand there are no ways to be legal on this - no matter what people try to tell you. (A lovely imported 400cc Steed in the classifieds - " . . . no book but you can easily get a 'sticker' for 800 baht that makes it legal. It's bike week now I'll sell it no problem. Anyway I'm only asking 100,000B. With the book it's worth double that.")

Hmm.

Thanks everyone!

Rob

Edited by robsamui

Frinstance -

100k baht. Udon. No papers no plate. Pretty bike. On the adverts.

He reckons it's worth 200k. (" . . . no book but you can easily get a 'sticker' for 800 baht that makes it legal. It's bike week now I'll sell it no problem. Anyway I'm only asking 100,000B. With the book it's worth double that.")

(Looks like a Fury with no rake ... nice cut. I like love it. This is a bike I could/would/might sleep with.) (It's like being seen round town with a Lycra katoey as opposed to a wife.)

(Altho some fat passenger has stomped on the top pipe and crushed it out of line . . .)

I might have gone for this . . . even tho . . .

(Find me one like this for 150k with papers and I'll travel . . . sweet! giggle.gif )

R

post-4665-0-42415400-1327345313_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

You have a PM. I know of some people who are selling the same as yours for arround that price with green book. Few friends of mine are buying steeds and we are travelling arround Thailand to find the best bikes. Let me know if you want one also.

That's me on the same bike as yours but 600cc, i paid a little more than 150K for it.

Vidéo : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5u_ValZnpg

383186_3066527142171_1233308668_3387067_164882856_n.jpg

391099_3087735952378_1233308668_3394254_1592899058_n.jpg

Edited by JohanBKK

Strangely enough . . .

(note plate . . . )

http://classifieds.t...ser-147302.html

R

Where you see a plate on that bike ? And 120K for a bike without green book... ahem lol...

why do you car about the plate? its either road legal with a legit green book, or its not. a (fake) plate is 700 baht at any plate shop

bike isnt worth 50k baht if you ask me, lots of hassel and another 80k baht and at least 6 months to try to get it legal

If no green book then the plate is useless... You can only obtain a white plate if you have a green book. That's mean the plate is fake or the bike is stolen or the green book is lost.

That's exactly what I now have come to realise - with the guidance of the folks here on this forum.

jap.gif