Imports With No Green Book

robsamui

Hi.

I've been considering buying an import. So let's assume that all the papers are in order, taxes paid, bike is registered, plated and road legal.

Let's assume that I've gone to Bangkok to buy the bike and am living in Phuket. So I'm now driving around Phuket on a bike that was registered in BKK. and with no green book.

By my reckoning when the tax expires then I will have to go back to the district where the bike was registered (BKK) in order to tax it? Is that right?

Then, if I find a buyer for the bike then both of us will have to go to Bangkok to be able to transfer the ownership?

Please explain to me how all this works!

Assuming that this is true, then what steps need to be taken to re-register all this paperwork to my local district in Phuket? (ie is it possible - is it straightforward? - what's the process?). This is all the original paperwork as I have no green book, remember . . .

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

Edited by robsamui

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its certaintly not "straightforward " anymore to transfer ownership of imported bikes

tax is usually easy ,you can walk into any office and show them page 18 of your green book and a few hundred thb and they will make you a tax disc

if it has no book ,,it might be dam_n near impossible to get a new tax disc as well , since TIT you can bribe your way there but its getting more and more expensive and less attractive of an option thesedays :)

its certaintly not "straightforward " anymore to transfer ownership of dodgy big bikes

tax is usually easy ,you can walk into any office and show them page 18 of your green book and a few hundred thb and they will make you a tax disc

if it has no book ,,it might be dam_n near impossible to get a new tax disc as well , since TIT you can bribe your way there but its getting more and more expensive and less attractive of an option thesedays smile.png

its certaintly not "straightforward " anymore to transfer ownership of imported bikes

if it has no book ,,it might be dam_n near impossible to get a new tax disc as well , since TIT you can bribe your way there but its getting more and more expensive and less attractive of an option thesedays smile.png

You say you can walk into any office and show them page 18 of your green book and a few hundred thb and they will make you a tax disc

Any office? Or the office in the province where the bike is registered? My Thai friend whose family is in BKK, and who bought her car there, mails her blue book to her brother every year so he can get the tax renewed and mail it back to her . . .

R

Edited by robsamui

the ones i have tried have all been in various sub districts of bkk and nonthaburi and tax was possible at any office

transferring ownership was a differnt story though ,the sukhumvit office wont transfer bikes registered at the jatujak district a few miles away etc and vice versa

good luck :)

You say you can walk into any office and show them page 18 of your green book and a few hundred thb and they will make you a tax disc

Any office? Or the office in the province where the bike is registered? My Thai friend whose family is in BKK, and who bought her car there, mails her blue book to her brother every year so he can get the tax renewed and mail it back to her . . .

R

your friend is an idiot. Tax can be got at any land transport office.

AS for your bike. IF you do not have a green book. you bike may NOT be legal.

How do you know?

If all the papers are in order, taxes paid, bike is registered, plated and road legal - you should also have a greenbook. No greenbook means no plates... no plates or greenbook not road legal.... very simple

Edited by Richard-BKK

the ones i have tried have all been in various sub districts of bkk and nonthaburi and tax was possible at any office

transferring ownership was a differnt story though ,the sukhumvit office wont transfer bikes registered at the jatujak district a few miles away etc and vice versa

good luck smile.png

good luck smile.png

Thanks for the reply - let's hope someones knows the answers!

R

You can pay your annual vehicle tax for any verhicle in any province at most banks in Thailand (Bangkok Bank for sure). Not so long ago I paid the vehicle tax, in Bangkok, for a motorcycle which is registered in Khon Kaen....

Edited by Richard-BKK

by showing reg book or its copy, you will be allowed to pay annual road tax at any DLT supposing you have valid Por Or Bor (compulsory Insurance), which also can be obtained there

Transfer is not as easy for an import

If its homoleg, to be identified by a number in reg book page 4 position 5, it should be ok. They sometimes need to do a thorough check including finding bikes ad online and taking a photo of it. If in doubt they need DSI to investigate and approve transfer

If its not homoleg, its a question on how much documentation you present, and they still can deny. It must be approved by DSI

transfered a Pattaya 2011 Ninja650 homoleg to Phuket few months back. No questions asked, except how much for the Akropovic. On the other side, they know me pretty well.

by showing reg book or its copy, you will be allowed to pay annual road tax at any DLT supposing you have valid Por Or Bor (compulsory Insurance), which also can be obtained there

If its homoleg, to be identified by a number in reg book page 4 position 5, it should be ok. They sometimes need to do a thorough check including finding bikes ad online and taking a photo of it. If in doubt they need DSI to investigate and approve transfer

If its not homoleg, its a question on how much documentation you present, and they still can deny. It must be approved by DSI

transfered a Pattaya 2011 Ninja650 homoleg to Phuket few months back. No questions asked, except how much for the Akropovic. On the other side, they know me pretty well.

Looks like I missed OPs part with "no green book"

What makes you think anything is legal if it does not have a green book to check info in?

No greenbook, no plate, no road legal, no annual tax, all according to TH law

If all the papers are in order, taxes paid, bike is registered, plated and road legal - you should also have a greenbook. No greenbook means no plates... no plates or greenbook not road legal.... very simple

So how is that that hundreds of bikes which have been imported are driving round with what all the dealers/importers declare as "street legal" papers and they also have plates? And Tax?

Either you are right and all the imported bikes being sold by Red Baron, companies in Pattaya and Roi Et and Chiand Mai are illegal.

Or you are wrong.

"Experts" (everyone is an effin expert so that why I was hoping to find some authoritative advice) have told me that as long as all the tax and import duties have been paid and the certificates are in order then the bike is eligible to be registered - witness all the adverts on ThaiVisa for imported bikes with no green book but with plates and tax/insurance.

The BOOK, on the other hand is a different matter and will cost a lot of money to be issued (18,000K for a 115cc, 38,000K for a 400cc and 80,000K for 750 and above.)

This I am sure is correct.

Please put me straight if I'm wrong.

R

Still puzzled . . .

R

Edited by robsamui

What makes you think anything is legal if it does not have a green book to check info in?

"The main thing is to have an importation invoice + the original Thai excises tax certificate + correct frame number and engine number (VIN). More problems happen when the bike is imported as parts and re-assembled. But if the invoices show a complete vehicle then the paperwork is much more straightforward.

What is needed in this case is an importation invoice + importation tax certificate + current Thai excise tax certificate + Thai motorcycle sales receipt with the name of the buyer + seller together with the original company purchase invoices. With all these documents the motorbike can be registered legally and the plate will be issued.

This is also all the paperwork that is needed to get a Greenbook issued, but this will then cost a lot more money. But the Greenbook is only necessary to take the bike out of Thailand, or export it. Otherwise there is no need to obtain the Greenbook."

Quoted from someone who has been there already. This is NOT an issue or what I'm asking about. Sorted already.

My question is what do you have to do with a bike like this when you need to tax it. Can it be done in a different province using these documents?

#2 - what needs to be done to transfer the ownership to another person?

Hopefully someone will actually have experience of this and will be able to tell me.

And, please if you have no idea at all about any of it (as is the case with all of the people responding to this topic) then don't contribute your vague opinions about what you reckon might be possibly some kind of answer. Hopefully the contributers to this forum are more informed and mature than the kids replying to Yahoo answers who don't know answers either but just have to say something no matter what.

R

Edited by robsamui

So how is that that hundreds of bikes which have been imported are driving round with what all the dealers/importers declare as "street legal" papers and they also have plates? And Tax?

Either you are right and all the imported bikes being sold by Red Baron, companies in Pattaya and Roi Et and Chiand Mai are illegal.

Or you are wrong.

"Experts" (everyone is an effin expert so that why I was hoping to find some authoritative advice) have told me that as long as all the tax and import duties have been paid and the certificates are in order then the bike is eligible to be registered - witness all the adverts on ThaiVisa for imported bikes with no green book but with plates and tax/insurance.

The BOOK, on the other hand is a different matter and will cost a lot of money to be issued (18,000K for a 115cc, 38,000K for a 400cc and 80,000K for 750 and above.)

This I am sure is correct.

Please put me straight if I'm wrong.

R

Still puzzled . . .

R

My friend before you call anybody wrong you should upgrade yourself, since time change things change in Thailand, and since 2012 my Bangkok Bank offers me to do online paying of my road tax for my "already" registered vehicles in Thailand, and not only a scooter, big bike, and car also... check it out http://www.bangkokba...20Payments.aspx It get the new TAX disk by post and no problems...

Edited by Richard-BKK

"The Main thing is to have Accurate Importation Invoice + Original Thai Excises Taxs Certificate + Right Frame Number and Engine Number (VIN). This Vulcan was Legally imported by One of the main Big Bikes Factories Importers in BKK from Japan End of Last year as a Full Motorcycle, not in Spare Sparts Rebuilded here!

It comes with all Documentation for Legal Riding In Thailand.

New Accurate Importation Invoice + Importation Taxs Certificate + New Thai Excises Taxs Certificate + Thai Motorcycle Sales Certificate at The Name of The Buyer + The Original Company Invoices when I purchased it (In English, too) + Plate. This is all the paperwork needed to get a Greenbook, but the Greenbook is only necessary to ride the bike OUT of Thailand, or export it. Otherwise, no reason to bother!"

Quoted from someone who has been there already. This is NOT an issue or what I'm asking about. Sorted already.

My question is what do you have to do with a bike like this when you need to tax it. Can it be done in a different province using these documents?

Hopefully someone will actually have experience of this and will be able to tell me.

R

I guess you must have problems reading as you question has been answered by several members already.

You can not have legal registration plates without a green book.

Your bike might be legally imported if you have all the correct papers,yet it isn't registered which means you can't have numberplates yet

The plates on your bike probably belong to a different bike.

Without green book you are not able to pay registration or transfer the bike anywhere in Thailand.

Not simple at all. See my more-detailed post.

R

"The Main thing is to have Accurate Importation Invoice + Original Thai Excises Taxs Certificate + Right Frame Number and Engine Number (VIN). This Vulcan was Legally imported by One of the main Big Bikes Factories Importers in BKK from Japan End of Last year as a Full Motorcycle, not in Spare Sparts Rebuilded here!

New Accurate Importation Invoice + Importation Taxs Certificate + New Thai Excises Taxs Certificate + Thai Motorcycle Sales Certificate at The Name of The Buyer + The Original Company Invoices when I purchased it (In English, too) + Plate. This is all the paperwork needed to get a Greenbook, but the Greenbook is only necessary to ride the bike OUT of Thailand, or export it. Otherwise, no reason to bother!"

R

I guess you must have problems reading as you question has been answered by several members already.

Your bike might be legally imported if you have all the correct papers,yet it isn't registered which means you can't have numberplates yet

Without green book you are not able to pay registration or transfer the bike anywhere in Thailand.

aS HE SAID.. YOU DO NOT HAVE OFFICIAL NUMBER PLATES WITHOUT A GREEN BOOK.

Check the plates on the bike they SHOULD have a stamped emblem on the bottom right, if they do not it's not a real plate.

You can dodge the law some what by having am imported bike were the tax has been paid (and tax invoive issued) this will ensure that the customs will not seize the bike for non payment of duties. IT DOES NOT make it a legal road going vehicle. NO GREEN BOOK and false plates is fraud. And that can get tricky,, better to have NO plates than the wrong plates.

your question 1 .. no idea, how did you get tax on the bike in the 1st place..

question 2 .. there is no ownership to transfer .. you do not have a registered bike with green book (registration book)

Edited by thaicbr

R

Excuse me?

First all the bikes imported via Red Baron come with no green book (this is extra on top of the price) but have plates and are road-legal. Read what I've already said.

Second, right now outside my house is an imported bike with no green book but with all the paperwork and with with plates and tax, owned by a friend who is wondering what he has to do and where he has to go to get it taxed next month.

So are you saying that once he has bought the bike he's fine for the first year then can't get it taxed again or sell it?

R

Edited by robsamui

op

No what we are saying is ........... you friend has been robbed.

The bike is NOT road legal. the plate is false if he has no green book (registration book)

And 2nd as far as i'm aware the bikes from Red Baron only come with a white plate once registered and green booked.

I would take a guess as this being bought from Teera motorcycles.. am i correct

TOO many quotes again . . . .

Thanks for this ThaiCbr - this is getting interesting.

It's not my bike. It belongs to a friend who is now concerned about where/how to tax it next month. The plates and tax were provided by a seemingly genuine and big BKK importer. The blue italics quoted is what he was told in writing by the importer. It is also the very same process that about 50% of the big bike adverts on ThaiVisa classifieds are offering.

So are you saying that all the plates issued in this way by the importers of the hundreds of big bikes advertised on ThaiVisa are illegal?

If so I guess my friend is stuffed and the TV admin need to hear about this . . .

R

op

The bike is NOT road legal. the plate is false if he has no green book (registration book)

And 2nd as far as i'm aware the bikes from Red Baron only come with a white plate once registered and green booked.

OK apologies. I confess I myself didn't know this - but I have seen the new ad on Red Baron that is offering the green book as an extra and at an extra cost; I was thinking of buying from there - check their website.

R

If it has a white plate then there is somewhere a green book for this bike OR the plate is fake.

There is no other alternative. Unless you are sure that the plate is real, just take it out because having a fake plate could end your friend in jail.

A friend of mine had a bike and he forgot to ask for the green book but the bike had the white plate. He just went to the shop to pick up his green book after a year.

It's not my bike. It belongs to a friend who is now concerned about where/how to tax it next month. The plates and tax were provided by a seemingly genuine and big BKK importer. The blue italics quoted is what he was told in writing by the importer. It is also the very same process that about 50% of the big bike adverts on ThaiVisa classifieds are offering.

So are you saying that all the plates issued in this way by the importers of the hundreds of big bikes advertised on ThaiVisa are illegal?

If so I guess my friend is stuffed and the TV admin need to hear about this . . .

R

I was trying to find a TV classified that said bike without green book but with numberplate,but wasn't able to find one.You're sure 50% of them is advertised that way?

R

I was trying to find a TV classified that said bike without green book but with numberplate,but wasn't able to find one.You're sure 50% of them is advertised that way?

You can buy bikes with red plates and change the red plate every X month and it's road legal only in that province but you can't ride it after 20h. It's a trick with the invoice, i have a friend who is doing that way.

op

OK apologies. I confess I myself didn't know this - but I have seen the new ad on Red Baron that is offering the green book as an extra and at an extra cost; I was thinking of buying from there - check their website.

R

buy from Pattaya superbikes.. all the bikes have new plate and green book from the get go..

http://www.pattayasuperbikes.com/

i have not affiliated with them in anyway. just seems like an honest business model.

all is not lost for your friend he CAN get a new plate and green book for the bike... circa 48----98 thousand baht depending on cc's.

I would really reccomend not getting caught with a false white plate.. that could be VERY expensive.

op

R

But I'm sure the bike at red baron will not have white plate attached if you don't opt for the registration at an extra cost

R

You can buy bikes with red plates and change the red plate every X month and it's road legal only in that province but you can't ride it after 20h. It's a trick with the invoice, i have a friend who is doing that way.

legal---ish.. not really. It's but a trick. these loop holes can get expensive if the police want them to.

thaicbr -

an apology is called for for my high-handed approach.

I'm sorry (to all) that I was offhand, but I thought I was getting silly answers.

From what I've been reading here I am learning a lot (and my friend with a useless big bike) is just sitting getting drunk . . .

SO - put us both straight. (Me cos I was convinced that what my friend's importer in BKK said was correct - and him cos he's stuck with a lemon, it seems).

An imported bike - with whatever paperwork and invoices and documents are necessary to obtain a plate, whatever -

if the importer supples a plate but this is done without the paperwork that produces the green book, it's fake. A fake plate. Because you can't get a legit plate without having the green book already? Is that right?

You need to have the green book or else there is no possible way that importers can find a way through the red tape without faking the plate they give you?

Oooh . . .

R

unsure.png