Imports With No Green Book

robsamui

op

No what we are saying is ........... you friend has been robbed.

The bike is NOT road legal. the plate is false if he has no green book (registration book)

And 2nd as far as i'm aware the bikes from Red Baron only come with a white plate once registered and green booked.

I would take a guess as this being bought from Teera motorcycles.. am i correct

OK apologies. I confess I myself didn't know this - but I have seen the new ad on Red Baron that is offering the green book as an extra and at an extra cost; I was thinking of buying from there - check their website.

R

But I'm sure the bike at red baron will not have white plate attached if you don't opt for the registration at an extra cost

mentioned that already. Add 100K baht to the price!

R

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Because you can't get a legit plate without having the green book already? Is that right?

You need to have the green book or else there is no possible way that importers can find a way through the red tape without faking the plate they give you?

Oooh . . .

R

unsure.png

That is very much correct.With every license plate comes a green book which has the details of the bike written into it.

A license plate from whichever bike can however get mounted on any bike,but that doesn't make it registered.

It's just means that this bike may be stolen for example. Buying a bike with a white plate but without the green book may be stolen OR the plate is fake OR the plate is real and the green book is somewhere in the hands of the real owner looking for his bike OR he just forgot to give you the green book.

If he imported the bike then he must know where that plate came from. Imported bikes NEVER comes with thai plates.

thaicbr -

an apology is called for for my high-handed approach.

I'm sorry (to all) that I was offhand, but I thought I was getting silly answers.

From what I've been reading here I am learning a lot (and my friend with a useless big bike) is just sitting getting drunk . . .

SO - put us both straight. (Me cos I was convinced that what my friend's importer in BKK said was correct - and him cos he's stuck with a lemon, it seems).

An imported bike - with whatever paperwork and invoices and documents are necessary to obtain a plate, whatever -

if the importer supples a plate but this is done without the paperwork that produces the green book, it's fake. A fake plate. Because you can't get a legit plate without having the green book already? Is that right?

You need to have the green book or else there is no possible way that importers can find a way through the red tape without faking the plate they give you?

Oooh . . .

R

unsure.png

I opened this topic cos I was thinking of buying an import. (all the stuff about my friend was cos I thought I knew what it was all about asof what he told me.)

So - please confirm for me -

An imported bike that comes with with no green book (no matter what the paperwork and promises/assurances) doesn't qualify for a plate and cant get one? Only registered bikes with a green book can get a plate? Correct?

And if the importer (etc) offers a bike that has a plate but no green book then it's illegal?

wub.png

R

thaicbr -

I'm sorry (to all) that I was offhand, but I thought I was getting silly answers.

From what I've been reading here I am learning a lot (and my friend with a useless big bike) is just sitting getting drunk . . .

SO - put us both straight. (Me cos I was convinced that what my friend's importer in BKK said was correct - and him cos he's stuck with a lemon, it seems).

An imported bike - with whatever paperwork and invoices and documents are necessary to obtain a plate, whatever -

if the importer supples a plate but this is done without the paperwork that produces the green book, it's fake. A fake plate. Because you can't get a legit plate without having the green book already? Is that right?

Oooh . . .

R

unsure.png

correct... The bike if all the taxes are paid is legal . as in it was imported in a legal fashion so can not be impounded by the customs. BUT with no green book the plate is not real.. like back in your home country the plate is linked to a registration document (green book).

If the importer has put any white plate on the bike BUT has not given you a green book .. it's safe to presume they are fake.

if the bike has been imported correctly with the taxes paid etc: then a green book and plate can be got... for a price.. but they go hand in glove.. together.

Edited by thaicbr

. Because you can't get a legit plate without having the green book already? Is that right?

Oooh . . .

R

unsure.png

That is very much correct.With every license plate comes a green book which has the details of the bike written into it.

A license plate from whichever bike can however get mounted on any bike,but that doesn't make it registered.

Thanks.

wacko.png

thaicbr -

Oooh . . .

R

unsure.png

correct... The bike if all the taxes are paid is legal . as in it was imported in a legal fashion so can not be impounded by the customs. BUT with no green book the plate is not real.. like back in your home country the plate is linked to a registration document (green book).

If the importer has put any white plate on the bike BUT has not given you a green book .. it's safe to presume they are fake.

Deffo need to say soz.

Rarely have I known such a steep leaning curve.

wai.gif

Chuckle.

My American friend has just surfaced. He's not a happy hamster. He's asked a sad and serious question.

Q: He has a delightful big bike, bought as already described, with a plate and tax but with no book. How can he sell it?

R

(no smiley for SHRUG)

if its currently taxed like you say it is ,go outside your house ,check the disc itself and see if the same number plate characters is on the disc and that the disc is for that exact bike ( honda cbr 1000 cc etc )

the plate ,green book ,tax disc are all tied together on a legitimate bike so you wil spot any discreptancie instantly

if there is differnt characters then the plate / disc could have been swiped off anybodys bike parked at the big C

thaicbr -

Oooh . . .

R

unsure.png

Deffo need to say soz.

Rarely have I known such a steep leaning curve.

wai.gif

That's why so many are buying Kawasaki's and CBR250 Honda's. Made here in Thailand .. cheap and fully legal.

op.. it's unlikely but maybe.. if your friend checks with the importer they MAY have his green book waiting for him.. but looking at what you posted in blue before ..unlikely.

(He was keen to tell me that it could be done for another 40,000B)

And here's another sudden lemon - it's an 800cc V-twin with one cylinder blanked. ie 400cc. All the bits are falling into place . . .

R

if its currently taxed like you say it is ,go outside your house ,check the disc itself and see if the same number plate characters is on the disc and that the disc is for that exact bike ( honda cbr 1000 cc etc )

the plate ,green book ,tax disc are all tied together on a legitimate bike so you wil spot any discreptancie instantly

if there is differnt characters then the plate / disc could have been swiped off anybodys bike parked at the big C

Unfourtantly there is a trick using brake fluid that sorts that.. a local big bike shop showed me he was very proud of his beemer tax.. it was actually the previous years disc from his mates bike with some numbers changed.

op.. it's unlikely but maybe.. if your friend checks with the importer they MAY have his green book waiting for him.. but looking at what you posted in blue before ..unlikely.

And here's another sudden lemon - it's an 800cc V-twin with one cylinder blanked. ie 400cc. All the bits are falling into place . . .

R

blimey.. what bike is it your mate has?

It's all in squiglly - like trying to read a printed circuit board. But there's no little emblem in the bottom RH corner of the plate . . . .

R

800cc Vulcan with half an engine. Looks lovely . . . great MPG erm . . . pints per kilogram . .

post-4665-0-17834900-1327082491_thumb.jp

Edited by robsamui

Chuckle.

My American friend has just surfaced. He's not a happy hamster. He's asked a sad and serious question.

Q: He has a delightful big bike, bought as already described, with a plate and tax but with no book. How can he sell it?

R

(no smiley for SHRUG)

its not unsellable ,plenty of thai people could drive a bike like that and ocassionaly pay a 100 thb to their brother /uncle /cousin in the local station to keep driving it safely cool.png

it will still sell on any classifieds but will be for a substanciallly lower price than a bike with all proper documents

another option is to pay someone in the industry like a thai bike importer 35-100k to make it a legal bike (this could result in the loss of the bike if it later turns out its been nicked in japan 2 years ago )

tread carefully :)

R

800cc Vulcan with half an engine. Looks lovely . . .

ummmm what the f=+k.

Wow.. in what way do you mean half an engine ..one cylinder is blanked off??????

The mind boggles

"tcbr:"Blanked off?

Blanked off. Half the cost when you apply for the green book, I guess.

R

(he's gone outside now for a wee and is weeing on his bike . . this has its amusing side . . .)

Edited by robsamui

Oh dear.

Steep learning curve like I said.

I've learned more in the last 2 hours (including how to be humble) than in months.

Thanks to all the peeps who have been patient.

I reckon my questions have now been answered.

Basically they went - how can you do these two things. Answer - you can't...ha ha.

Thanks folks - time to hit the sack sadder n wiser.

R

Oooh . . .

R

unsure.png

I d turn it all around

a green book is issued to a road legal bike. a plate is issued to this green book/bike. at anytime you can change plate at 645 baht fee to DLT, but green book remains, just get plate info updated

a fake plate, or a plate from another bike, qualifies for 5 years in jail. doubled if organised, which it often is

not to mention a swapped framenumber

thaicbr -

Oooh . . .

R

unsure.png

I opened this topic cos I was thinking of buying an import. (all the stuff about my friend was cos I thought I knew what it was all about asof what he told me.)

So - please confirm for me -

An imported bike that comes with with no green book (no matter what the paperwork and promises/assurances) doesn't qualify for a plate and cant get one? Only registered bikes with a green book can get a plate? Correct?

And if the importer (etc) offers a bike that has a plate but no green book then it's illegal?

wub.png

R

if it has been issued a green book and bike has a plate and tax sticker with framenumber matching bike, the green book can be used as collateral for a loan. they own the bike until loan paid. these guys do what it takes to get bike or money

TOO many quotes again . . . .

Thanks for this ThaiCbr - this is getting interesting.

It's not my bike. It belongs to a friend who is now concerned about where/how to tax it next month. The plates and tax were provided by a seemingly genuine and big BKK importer. The blue italics quoted is what he was told in writing by the importer. It is also the very same process that about 50% of the big bike adverts on ThaiVisa classifieds are offering.

So are you saying that all the plates issued in this way by the importers of the hundreds of big bikes advertised on ThaiVisa are illegal?

If so I guess my friend is stuffed and the TV admin need to hear about this . . .

R

I was trying to find a TV classified that said bike without green book but with numberplate,but wasn't able to find one.You're sure 50% of them is advertised that way?

You can buy bikes with red plates and change the red plate every X month and it's road legal only in that province but you can't ride it after 20h. It's a trick with the invoice, i have a friend who is doing that way.

its road legal for max 30 days/3.000km while applying for green book/white plate. counts from day of Por Or Bor (compulsory insurance)

if discovered no attempt to apply for green book has beeen made, or overtime/km, or swap redplate prosesss, or new Por Or Bor as logged in DLT system issued, it can be impounded and sold at auction

ad penalty to rider

Chuckle.

R

(no smiley for SHRUG)

tax sticker needs to have this platenumber and bikes framenumber. if it does, try to find out where the green book is. most DLT only allows registered owner to apply for a new one if its lost

and just to wrap up on the original question, how to tax it next month

if the present tax sticker matches platenumber and bikes framenumber, bring this tax sticker to DLT and you will be allowed to pay new tax and get new sticker, despite book pawned or lost or whatever.

if white plate does not have the seal in lower right cornet, take it off asap to stay out of jail, keep the tax sticker on bike and pay max 1000 baht fines for being roadlegal but non plated (lost plate). It takes green book and registered owner to get a new plate

a green book is issued to a road legal bike. a plate is issued to this green book/bike. at anytime you can change plate at 645 baht fee to DLT, but green book remains, just get plate info updated

if it has been issued a green book and bike has a plate and tax sticker with framenumber matching bike, the green book can be used as collateral for a loan. they own the bike until loan paid. these guys do what it takes to get bike or money

I was waiting for someone to come up with a possible way this could happen, you have stole the thunder again kbb.

Much the same if you buy the bike on HP you will only have a copy of the vehicles book.

Maybe he should look closely at his mate's paperwork to see if there is copies.

I was waiting for someone to come up with a possible way this could happen, you have stole the thunder again kbb.

Much the same if you buy the bike on HP you will only have a copy of the vehicles book.

Maybe he should look closely at his mate's paperwork to see if there is copies.

and if the tax sticker does not match reg plate and framenumber, please let us know who sold this. Most of us have been riding illegally plated bikes at some time, or at least this beachbum has, but Thailand has moved forward and does not accept it any more, so we all should know who not to buy from

when I got the plate and book for this bike from seller, post-81971-0-42041300-1327130549_thumb.j

book turned out to be from a 16 yo yammy, for a 2 yo bike. framenumber swapped by supplier. Thats how I learned. Made seller take it backpost-81971-0-42041300-1327130549_thumb.j

Great bike, loved it, but fake ID

Today its a bike not possible to transfer ownership on, thus a rental

If all the papers are in order, taxes paid, bike is registered, plated and road legal - you should also have a greenbook. No greenbook means no plates... no plates or greenbook not road legal.... very simple

It's not that simple! You can get a license plate from any province, stickers are also easy to get. But most importantly is the green book..very simple..jap.gif