Pickups Best To Buy And Best Service In Your Opinion

petercallen

Thanks for the kind words Barka. We did some ice racing in Fairbanks Alaska, both with bikes and cars. On bikes we used wood screws for studs. Off topic though...

Love the photo of your first log truck

slippery ice, I was working as a travelling salesman north of the artic circle, well far north of it, 1982. Pulled over to take a piss, windy and icy roads, my 1978 Lancia was shod with the best to get, finish Hakkapeliita studded of course. Admiring her new white pearl paint and the beautiful light when the sun apears for a brief hour for the first time in a couple of months late January. It was a very windy day, well thats storm in US english, and while completing my piss she starts sailing away. Only parking brakes where on, engine still running, and she just sailed down the road with blocked rearwheels. As I said the ice was slippery

Lancia? Had it rusted out by the time you caught up to it?

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words Barka. We did some ice racing in Fairbanks Alaska, both with bikes and cars. On bikes we used wood screws for studs. Off topic though...

Love the photo of your first log truck

slippery ice, I was working as a travelling salesman north of the artic circle, well far north of it, 1982. Pulled over to take a piss, windy and icy roads, my 1978 Lancia was shod with the best to get, finish Hakkapeliita studded of course. Admiring her new white pearl paint and the beautiful light when the sun apears for a brief hour for the first time in a couple of months late January. It was a very windy day, well thats storm in US english, and while completing my piss she starts sailing away. Only parking brakes where on, engine still running, and she just sailed down the road with blocked rearwheels. As I said the ice was slippery

Lancia? Had it rusted out by the time you caught up to it?

hehehe, not all Lancia rusted, tuesday, wednesday and thursday cars where fine,

this was a 1978 HPE, Tectyl antirust treated on day of delivery 1978, in 1980 and when I got it in 1982. Silver paint was scratched by kids just after I got it, so some minor brown edges where done before white pearl job. My brother got it from me later and it lived for more than 18 years despite snow and ice and salted roads in town

seen at least 3 of these with the coupe body here in Phuket, daily drivers, 30-35 years old

back on topic, rumours say Toyota is upgrading Vigo/fortuna with 190hp and 5auto this year to keep up with competition, just like they did upgrade engines in old Hilux 2 years ahead of full replacement in 2004

and adapting this info to the Th market

Nissans larges engine is a 2,5, no beauty V6 here

Triton has a much lower spec here with one or max two airbags

Mazda BT 50 is very keenly priced in TH, especially the 3,2 as tested compared to Ranger 3,2

This may be of interest:

http://watoday.drive...0202-1qumc.html

and adapting this info to the Th market

Nissans larges engine is a 2,5, no beauty V6 here

Triton has a much lower spec here with one or max two airbags

Mazda BT 50 is very keenly priced in TH, especially the 3,2 as tested compared to Ranger 3,2

Yes, there's always going to be some differences in specs in Australia. As you point out we like bigger engines, and we call them utes not pickups.tongue.png

The ford ranger XLT costs 1,730,000 baht in Australia with a few added features

Plus on road costs which is probably at least another 100,000 baht

The ford ranger XLT here in 4x4 top of the range would cost well under that price

for ranger XLT 4x4 does not exist here, yet. possibly later

to get 4x4 and 3,2 in TH a Wildtrack at 1,1million baht is needed

but yes, pickups/utes are dirt cheap in THclap2.gif

My Triton cost me aprox 15,000 GB POUNDS here,same model,similar spec, would cost me over 21,000 GBP over in the UK,..THAI manufactured pick ups, are very good value,probably one of the best buys in the World

Everyone wants different things in a motor vehicle

i chose the wildtrak because it is better looking than the Mazda in my opinion

and will also have more appeal to male drivers in the second hand market

Which should help its resale value as most pickup/ utility vehicle buyers are male

Also from previous experience Mazda is a lot more expensive than Ford for spare parts

The are both the same mechanically with different bodies, it will be interesting to

find out the difference in cost or body parts

Which should help its resale value as most pickup/ utility vehicle buyers are male

Also from previous experience Mazda is a lot more expensive than Ford for spare parts

The are both the same mechanically with different bodies, it will be interesting to

dont know where you got your price comparison from, but there are quiet a few reports identical mechanical mazda parts cost 2/3 of the ford parts for old ranger/bt50.

body parts are covered by insurance anyway, and never needed any during my 9 years and +480k km here.

but your right, we choose differently, I prefere the much nicer interior of BT 50 including better quality leather seats without the red wildtrack stripe, and of course the sweet 3,2/260hp/600Nm with 4x4 and 6 speed auto. and I never liked the grey plastic claddings on Wildtrack, they where just needed to get 3,2 engine

It is likely Ford will meet mazdas competition with a XLT 3,2auto 4x4 at 999k baht later, but right now Mazda wins me, at almost 250k baht less than Ranger wildtrack 3,2

we basicly pay the same for our pickups, you get your masculine looks and grey plastic claddings, I get my 70% more power, 4x4, active safety electronics, and IMHO more car like interior.

The makers love us both, different preferences make them able to sell the same pickups made at the same plant under different brand names and specs

dont know where you got your price comparison from, but there are quiet a few reports identical mechanical mazda parts cost 2/3 of the ford parts for old ranger/bt50.

body parts are covered by insurance anyway, and never needed any during my 9 years and +480k km here.

but your right, we choose differently, I prefere the much nicer interior of BT 50 including better quality leather seats without the red wildtrack stripe, and of course the sweet 3,2/260hp/600Nm with 4x4 and 6 speed auto. and I never liked the grey plastic claddings on Wildtrack, they where just needed to get 3,2 engine

It is likely Ford will meet mazdas competition with a XLT 3,2auto 4x4 at 999k baht later, but right now Mazda wins me, at almost 250k baht less than Ranger wildtrack 3,2

we basicly pay the same for our pickups, you get your masculine looks and grey plastic claddings, I get my 70% more power, 4x4, active safety electronics, and IMHO more car like interior.

The makers love us both, different preferences make them able to sell the same pickups made at the same plant under different brand names and specs

Lots of body parts made of plastic now and you do not have to be in a accident to need to replace them

Lots of body parts made of plastic now and you do not have to be in a accident to need to replace them

wildtrack has lots of body parts in plastic, BT50 has one only, front bumper, and if it needs replacing it sure is an insurance case, why else would it be damaged?

Teenage L platers showing you how they reverse better than you do & hitting something. Most impressed with my Yaris plastic part - 30cm dent popped itself out after the humiliation was complete.

wildtrack has lots of body parts in plastic, BT50 has one only, front bumper, and if it needs replacing it sure is an insurance case, why else would it be damaged?

prices may have changed but 6 years ago the front bumper for a Mazda 626 cost 6000AUD

The front bumper for a Toyota Camry cost 1500AUD

Not all people have insurance

prices may have changed but 6 years ago the front bumper for a Mazda 626 cost 6000AUD

I did not know Ford and Toyota were the same, thanks for pointing it out Peter.

I was giving the prices of different vehicles for the same part

Ford and Mazda are not the same as KBB pionted out

I was giving the prices of different vehicles for the same part

Ford and Mazda are not the same as KBB pionted out

a silly price comparison, as

1. I would by the parts in Th in Th baht, and made in Th

2. You are comparing Mazda626 and Toyota Camry, they do not share anything, so part simply can not be same, except its position on car

in additon I will own my Bt50 for 5 years and approx 200.000km and expect to need to replace very few parts during those years, and if needed I get them from Ford if cost less than from Mazda. Historically this is not likely tho, as Mazda so far has priced their Ford identical parts at 2/3 of same Ford part.

If you really want to say something about spareparts prices, each brand/model in TH has a list of common parts for consumers to make price comparison, used n the marketing. Check it out, and then present accurate info, not OZ info

and do you really car if a brake rotor needed at 80k km cost 2200 or 3000 baht, depending what color the box is (ford/mazda), well I dont. I do care about saving 250k baht on the purchase thogiggle.gif

Teenage L platers showing you how they reverse better than you do & hitting something. Most impressed with my Yaris plastic part - 30cm dent popped itself out after the humiliation was complete.

yeah, they are great, medium size dogs at speed, parking errors, wait 20 minutes and its back in shape again

Last time I damaged one was in 1996 in my brand new Chrysler Grand Voyager. Reversed into a light pole, went out to find a huge bump in bumper. Went home, looked again and it was all gonecowboy.gif

Despite so, it was my last car without reverse sensors

yeah, they are great, medium size dogs at speed, parking errors, wait 20 minutes and its back in shape again

Last time I damaged one was in 1996 in my brand new Chrysler Grand Voyager. Reversed into a light pole, went out to find a huge bump in bumper. Went home, looked again and it was all gonecowboy.gif

Despite so, it was my last car without reverse sensors

I got rid of the teenager. Now all scrapes are mine. Might add, it was a major effort to get him onto P plates. Eight attempts from memory @ 1300THB a go. He got his forklift licence before his Ps. Aaaah the delights of being a child-free zone after 35 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Ranger 2,2 Wildtrack delayed according to Ford TH, possibly to June.

No pricing or delivery schedule on 3,2 yet.

Man Im glad i made that Mazda 3,2 orderlicklips.gif

The thing I dont like about the mazda is the keypad stereo thing on the dash (i think ford also has this) looks like someone has bolted on a 1980's telephone. More a fan of the trouchscreen 3rd party systems that mitsubishi/Isuzu/chevy use

KBB, did you get this from Ford HKT or Ford Bkk ?

Hkt told me end of April. Would be interesting to know if they are telling different stories.

Thanks.

No problem i am not in a hurry myself, they are only holding a 5K deposit

You have not got your Mazda yet and the same thing could happen with them

The thing I dont like about the mazda is the keypad stereo thing on the dash (i think ford also has this) looks like someone has bolted on a 1980's telephone. More a fan of the trouchscreen 3rd party systems that mitsubishi/Isuzu/chevy use

Had cars with touch screen, useless at speed or bumpy roads, so try to avoid them. Need large buttons to press while hand resting somewhere. Wont need it as much in Ranger/bt50 as Voice control

KBB, did you get this from Ford HKT or Ford Bkk ?

Hkt told me end of April. Would be interesting to know if they are telling different stories.

Thanks.

BKK, they say they will update info in April. Seems lack of Wildtrack parts is problem. Phuket aint got a clue

of course I do not have my bt50 3,2 yet, they actually need to start manufactoring them Th spec first

for now we are doing great with the tiny mazda2 around Phuket, but was hoping for a 3,2 ranger/bt50 for Songkran trip. Without it I wont drive off Phuket

of course I do not have my bt50 3,2 yet, they actually need to start manufactoring them Th spec first

for now we are doing great with the tiny mazda2 around Phuket, but was hoping for a 3,2 ranger/bt50 for Songkran trip. Without it I wont drive off Phuket

If you have it on time it will be red plated anyway.

Touchscreen works perfect BTW, and plenty of space to rest a hand.

If you have it on time it will be red plated anyway.

Touchscreen works perfect BTW, and plenty of space to rest a hand.

you like touch screen installed in car, I dont, I v only had it in one car for 14 months/40k km, and even if it was supported by steering wheel controls, I found it a major disadvantage at high speed. To much need to focus on screen and not on road. So I dont want it again

yes steven, new cars come on red plate, what would the problem be?