Pickups Best To Buy And Best Service In Your Opinion

petercallen

The touchscreen where not useless at speed is hard to operate especially if used to rapid responses of modern phones and tablets. I use the remote more than the screen. Hand braced on shifter, finger dangling I found I had my eyes off the road more than usual.

Don't see why the screen or at least the operational parts has to be in the traditional place anyway.

another issue I didnt touch about touch screens, is night vision. Driving at night, all dashlights dimmed, and you need to adjust sound. A freaking screen lights up and you have lost maximum nightvision for +30 seconds. Simply dangerous.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is not ok to break the speed limit of 90 kmh. It is illegal, and I have been fined for it. So I reckomend others to not do likewise.

Only the expressways around BKK allows 120kmh, and only parts of the day.

In build up areas, like most of Phuket, the speedlimit is 60kmh

But I am honest, so admit my breaking of speedlimits

The maximum penalty for being in breach of speedlimits is 1.000 baht

Smoking cigaretts in public under a roof, like any bar/restaurant, carrys a penalty of fine 2.000 baht, and is a criminal act.

Throwing cigarettes butt on the ground is another criminal act, dont recall fine amount.

Adapting to this society, I find speeding almost acceptabel, so do most others judging by the speed on Phuket roads, who keep 60kmh on Chao Fa? and who keep 90kmh on the highways all day long?

Not defending my breach of speedlimits, just trying to display a larger picture

OK...i already knew all the above speeds info etc, and yes, you as you say 'admit to breaking the speed limits',and yes i and many others do the same, but you have skirted around the question i asked you..;

I'm intrigued enough to ask you why you think its OK for you to drive at irresponsible, illegal speeds?

I dont know,I mean, do you have some sort of special abilities,or some sort of exemption to drive at sustained high speeds 100's of times to and from Hua Hin as you have oft quoted? Something that all others do not have? I am intrigued.

OK...i already knew all the above speeds info etc, and yes, you as you say 'admit to breaking the speed limits',and yes i and many others do the same, but you have skirted around the question i asked you..;

I'm intrigued enough to ask you why you think its OK for you to drive at irresponsible, illegal speeds?

I dont know,I mean, do you have some sort of special abilities,or some sort of exemption to drive at sustained high speeds 100's of times to and from Hua Hin as you have oft quoted? Something that all others do not have? I am intrigued.

Dont really understand your question

are you asking about my driving experience and skills?

or if I have an excemption from the 1979 Land Traffic code?

may I ask you why you think its Ok for you to drive at illegal speeds?

The touchscreen where not useless at speed is hard to operate especially if used to rapid responses of modern phones and tablets. I use the remote more than the screen. Hand braced on shifter, finger dangling I found I had my eyes off the road more than usual.

Don't see why the screen or at least the operational parts has to be in the traditional place anyway.

another issue I didnt touch about touch screens, is night vision. Driving at night, all dashlights dimmed, and you need to adjust sound. A freaking screen lights up and you have lost maximum nightvision for +30 seconds. Simply dangerous.

Most LCD screens/Sat Navs have a night mode which automatically dims when evening comes. Pretty standard.

I love gadgets and gizmos, if I want a dated interior I will drive my 1968 beetle not a Mazda or Ford pickup.

I and lots of other people understand the question

We all know from your previous posts you are a ex rally and race car driver among other things

Driving at 160KPH on public roads in Thailand shows you have no respect for

other road users and is definitely driving dangerously in my opinion

Most people travel between 100/120KPM on major highways so they

can keep up with the traffic and stop in the centre lane which is not

badly damaged by trucks like the outside lane is

I and lots of other people understand the question

We all know from your previous posts you are a ex rally and race car driver among other things

Driving at 160KPH on public roads in Thailand shows you have no respect for

other road users and is definitely driving dangerously in my opinion

Most people travel between 100/120KPM on major highways so they

can keep up with the traffic and stop in the centre lane which is not

badly damaged by trucks like the outside lane is

ok, so now we are moving ahead. Traffic safety.

I would never consider driving above 120kmh on 2006 tyres in 2012, actually not even 2008 tyres in 2012.

I would never consider driving above 80kmh if I had not practiced on a full emergency stop from 100kmh with this particular vehicle past week

I consider the 2 above behaviours to display no respect for other road users, and is definately driving dangerously in my opiniongiggle.gif

Sooner or later my exposure to highspeed flaming must result in people maintaining their vehicles to a safe standard and learn to handle them, dont you think?

So you can drive safely and others can not at 160 km/h because your tires are from 2009 or later and you practiced an emergency stop from 100 km/h last week.

I guess that is not what you mean, but that is what you just answered to this question.

So you can drive safely and others can not at 160 km/h because your tires are from 2009 or later and you practiced an emergency stop from 100 km/h last week.

I guess that is not what you mean, but that is what you just answered to this question.

Havent answered any question yet, and you are correct thats not what I mean

What I just said is that a vehicle with more than 3 years old tyres is unsafe at speed. It is also unsafe at 50kmh, as brakingdistance due to old tryes increses with some 5-10 meters at that speed, sufficient to kill a bunch of people

I also meant to say, drivers who never have their ABS kick in, need to learn how to operate their vehicle. Compulsory driver training where I come from, thus the extremely low traffic casualty numbers despite crap roads covered with snow and ice half the year

Got to go, looking forward to your feedbackscowboy.gif

I've a 4 door Toyota Prerunner and I have the fluids changed every 10K for 1400 THB, up here in Yasothon. The most expensive service I ever had was 6000 THB and that included new brakes and the air-con re gassed and the wheels balanced.

And as already been said there are Toyota dealers in all small towns even here in the bush, usually with see through service bays so you can watch it all being done, should you so wish, plus you get a free massage, coffee and Internet use while you wait.

ok, so now we are moving ahead. Traffic safety.

I would never consider driving above 120kmh on 2006 tyres in 2012, actually not even 2008 tyres in 2012.

I would never consider driving above 80kmh if I had not practiced on a full emergency stop from 100kmh with this particular vehicle past week

I consider the 2 above behaviours to display no respect for other road users, and is definately driving dangerously in my opiniongiggle.gif

Sooner or later my exposure to highspeed flaming must result in people maintaining their vehicles to a safe standard and learn to handle them, dont you think?

My tyres still have 50% tread and the side walls are sound with no perishing or cracks

and they are safe to drive on up to 120KPH, no way would i drive at 160KPH with

brand new tyres on Thai roads

KBB, In my opinion,you give ..good honest Advice and Opinions on thing you know about..but you are a Target for all the...Troller, Flamers,Idiots etc....Why bother, most of them dont listen and some of them even answer there own Questions.LOL

KBB, In my opinion,you give ..good honest Advice and Opinions on thing you know about..but you are a Target for all the...Troller, Flamers,Idiots etc....Why bother, most of them dont listen and some of them even answer there own Questions.LOL

KBB gets his information from the Internet not necessarily from personal experience

Didn't you mention in a previous post that you are a ex race/rally driver as well??

Different driving on roads to driving on race or rally tracks

KBB gets his information from the Internet not necessarily from personal experience

Didn't you mention in a previous post that you are a ex race/rally driver as well??

YOU FORGET AGAIN[your memory] I am an avid fan of Rad Safety and as you can see if you look at lots of my previous posts

YOU FORGET AGAIN[your memory] I am an avid fan of Rad Safety and as you can see if you look at lots of my previous posts

Nothing wrong with my memory sport

Following your posts over the last couple of years you regularly contradict yourself

KBB is a big boy he does not need you to look after him

Stange response to my intrigue...i asked a basic question. why on earth does that make me a flammer, or an idiot or troller?

So now i read that kbb is a rally/ race driver and so what? I really dont know what the relevance is to my query....

Seeing as he declines to answer directly, maybe you can tell me, seeing as you seem the only one to be on the same page as he..

I've no doubt that most of the issues hes mentioned are important to all drivers...but here it is again;

Do you have some sort of special licence that exempts you?[ not a joke TIT] anything is possible i guess. Dunno!

girls girls girls..think the op wanted to know about a best buy and service..frankly don't give a ff about so called high speed this or that or rally off road seen lots of expert drivers come a cropper in snow banks and ice and in the bush..come on guys..no such thing as an expert..really...

Like KBB and others we have all/many have driven lots of vehicles in many environments/countries ..that don't make us experts!!! Some like Toyota some like any old four wheels capable of A-B travels.

..If I was the OP I would just shop around assess your needs and wants vs budget and go for it..lots of great vehicles out there...gone are the days of B series Austins or nuffink....Jap vehicles/options/technology have put most other mid range priced vehicles in the shade methinks. The reason many bought 'em from the 70s is because they included what Euro and American vehicles had as $$+ options...

sorry .......rant over.............................<deleted> is my Nuuu Mazda ..lol!!

Thanks barka, and agreed, and PC can continue on his old tyres he finds safe, proven very unsafe by a number of tests

We r off topic, I am outa the speeding and no smoking laws in this topic

its about frea-ing pickuptrucks

Thanks barka, and agreed, and PC can continue on his old tyres he finds safe, proven very unsafe by a number of tests

B quik who among other things sell a range of tyres checked mine for

me and said they were safe, so why would i believe you, they are

tyre technicians you are not

Excactly..its about frea-ing pickuptrucks...you in your pickup truck driving phuket-hua hin 100 times at average 160 kph...You made the quote, it interests me as to why you in your pickup truck

What is the problem with informing us why you think its Ok for you to drive at illegal speeds

Is this the clue here?

What is this exemption please? Do you have this? Is this available to all ?

Why all the secrecy now on the very point that you made and now wont elaborate..?

If one person can get an exemption,surely others can do also. No/Yes

B quik who among other things sell a range of tyres checked mine for

me and said they were safe, so why would i believe you, they are

tyre technicians you are not

Interesting, visited B-Quick with a flat 2007 Michelin tyre on a Fortuna few months back, they checked manufactoring date on all 4 tyres and said I really should replace them all, I said thank you for brilliant advice, but its not my ride so please just fix the flat one, they did, for free, gave the lad 100 baht anyway

Tyre technicians in TH, if they had tested as many tyres as we did when I still worked in the auto industry, they would have been tyre makers.

Whatever you say PC, you wont make anyone believe a +3yo tyre performs on par with a new one

and you wont make anyone believe a 5 yo tyre performs on par with a 3 yo.

back home we just called them hockey pucks

Excactly..its about frea-ing pickuptrucks...you in your pickup truck driving phuket-hua hin 100 times at average 160 kph...You made the quote, it interests me as to why you in your pickup truck

What is the problem with informing us why you think its Ok for you to drive at illegal speeds

Is this the clue here?

Why all the secrecy now on the very point that you made and now wont elaborate..?

why do you need to twist the info I have provided?

1. 160 kmh average is very fast, on Autobahn all day when I worked test driving there and later used it to go somewhere, we often didnt manage this speed

2. Who said I used a pickuptruck 100 times to Hua Hin? Oh, you did. drunk.gif Usually we used the Camry or Accord, 110.000km in 2 years. Back in 2008 no pickups in Th had brakes I would dare to cruise 160kmh with. In 2011 Isuzu and Chev still didnt, had to post that one in a pickup thread

3. As said I have been fined for speeding, thus do not have an excemtion from the 1979 Land traffic act. Now, what makes you think you are allowed to breach speedlimits?

Secrecy, sure, seems all open to meviolin.gif

Is this the clue here?

why do you need to twist the info I have provided?

1. 160 kmh average is very fast, on Autobahn all day when I worked test driving there and later used it to go somewhere, we often didnt manage this speed

2. Who said I used a pickuptruck 100 times to Hua Hin? Oh, you did. drunk.gif Usually we used the Camry or Accord, 110.000km in 2 years. Back in 2008 no pickups in Th had brakes I would dare to cruise 160kmh with. In 2011 Isuzu and Chev still didnt, had to post that one in a pickup thread

3. As said I have been fined for speeding, thus do not have an excemtion from the 1979 Land traffic act. Now, what makes you think you are allowed to breach speedlimits?

Secrecy, sure, seems all open to meviolin.gif

hehehe..sorry ,shouldn't drink in the afternoons huh..but now i've got your attention, and you can stop ducking and weaving, i have a repeat question for you. that you dont want to answer ?? Why? thats what im wanting to know..hehehe.where,where, oh yeh, here it is;please forget all the twisted post above and simply answer the question...good man giggle.gif

No clarification,,,,why, i wonder?hehe

Same as when kbb was talking about his highspeed trips to and from hua hin-phuket at outrageous speeds/ times and he was challenged to show proof from the GPS...no response then, also..

I think i've worked it out...a few options;

You work for the TV show Top Gear.......and are one of the 3 hosts..[or are maybe even the STIG!!}

You are James Bond...on secret assignment in t/land

You are a VSIP...giggle.gif

post-144222-0-70325300-1330145560.gif

Same as when kbb was talking about his highspeed trips to and from hua hin-phuket at outrageous speeds/ times and he was challenged to show proof from the GPS...no response then, also..

You work for the TV show Top Gear.......and are one of the 3 hosts..[or are maybe even the STIG!!}

hmm, new members, yes this one has been with us for 48 posts and 2 months and mainly in Chiang Mai, questioning my lack of ability to connect my GPS to laptop a year ago, never kept it secret i am almost computer illeterate. Where do all the topgear/james bond heros come from? and <deleted> does VSIP mean?

as an honorary member and +10.000 posts, I think its time I quit Phuket Forum. Sad some other +10.000 posts members have done the same. I miss some of them.

Phuket, take advice from someone else, the newbieshit-the-fan.gif

the newbies in Chiang mai know all about Phuketclap2.gifclap2.gifintheclub.gif

as for motoring, why the f-ck should I care if someone rearends me with 5 yo tyres, they have to pay anyway. mak mak, ad bail bond

ok rant over, I was rearended a year back, by a Marine Police in uniform, I was waiting for green, newbies and "not fat" reincarnation, thats not the same as stopping for red. Thing is, he didnt have a drivers lisence for car, yes he was driving a car. Well, I thought, lets make a friend , not an enemy, especially not a Thai Police. We solved it. None paid a baht.

oh, back on pickup topic, news about Ranger today, those of us who made early deposits for wild tracks, thats last year, might get delivery in a couple of months. Close race between my mazda bt50 3,2 deposit and ford ranger 3,2 deposit. the winner gets paidgiggle.gif

hmm, new members, yes this one has been with us for 48 posts and 2 months and mainly in Chiang Mai, questioning my lack of ability to connect my GPS to laptop a year ago, never kept it secret i am almost computer illeterate. Where do all the topgear/james bond heros come from? and <deleted> does VSIP mean?

as an honorary member and +10.000 posts, I think its time I quit Phuket Forum. Sad some other +10.000 posts members have done the same. I miss some of them.

as for motoring, why the f-ck should I care if someone rearends me with 5 yo tyres, they have to pay anyway. mak mak, ad bail bond

ok rant over, I was rearended a year back, by a Marine Police in uniform, I was waiting for green, newbies and "not fat" reincarnation, thats not the same as stopping for red. Thing is, he didnt have a drivers lisence for car, yes he was driving a car. Well, I thought, lets make a friend , not an enemy, especially not a Thai Police. We solved it. None paid a baht.

oh, back on pickup topic, news about Ranger today, those of us who made early deposits for wild tracks, thats last year, might get delivery in a couple of months. Close race between my mazda bt50 3,2 deposit and ford ranger 3,2 deposit. the winner gets paidgiggle.gif

Hehehe wow kbb thats quite a little passifier.gif you are ducking and weaving,dodging and zig-zagging,all over the place...awesome display of diversionary tactics so you dont need to answer the intriguing question..;may I ask you why you think its Ok for you to drive at illegal speeds?

Common..hehe just tell me and we can all calm down..Man!!this sure has got you upset for some reason ..why cant you just come out and tell like it is? Does your having10,000 posts ,and me only 48 and/or me living in C/M really make any difference to the question...

The query is only in response to your oft quoted own words regarding your high speed driving antics..nothing more , nothing less.This is where the ''top gear'' bit comes from, as they are always seen driving at high speed on highways on that show...Surely you have seen this show?.

For someone who is so full of answers and info and advice to all and sundry to be suddenly reluctant to give an honest answer to an intriguing query is puzzling to say the least.

Yes i think your punishment for not giving an honest answer to the question should be immediate self retirement from your beloved forum.honourary and all.hehehegiggle.gif lighten up kbb....drunk.gif

Hehehe wow kbb thats quite a little passifier.gif you are ducking and weaving,dodging and zig-zagging,all over the place...awesome display of diversionary tactics so you dont need to answer the intriguing question..;may I ask you why you think its Ok for you to drive at illegal speeds?

Common..hehe just tell me and we can all calm down..Man!!this sure has got you upset for some reason ..why cant you just come out and tell like it is? Does your having10,000 posts ,and me only 48 and/or me living in C/M really make any difference to the question...

The query is only in response to your oft quoted own words regarding your high speed driving antics..nothing more , nothing less.This is where the ''top gear'' bit comes from, as they are always seen driving at high speed on highways on that show...Surely you have seen this show?.

For someone who is so full of answers and info and advice to all and sundry to be suddenly reluctant to give an honest answer to an intriguing query is puzzling to say the least.

Yes i think your punishment for not giving an honest answer to the question should be immediate self retirement from your beloved forum.honourary and all.hehehegiggle.gif lighten up kbb....drunk.gif

go back and read

It is not ok for me to drive above speed limit, just as it is not ok for you or most others. Thus I have been fined for it. Thus I do not recomed it to most drivers. Comprende?

Katabeachbum:

the newbies in Chiang mai know all about Phuketclap2.gif clap2.gif intheclub.gif

For your information , this is not an exclusive forum for the use of a few, all members are welcome to air their opinions.

It is of no relevance none whatsoever if you have 10 posts or 25,000 that freedom is there regardless.

If anything , have a bit of respect to newbies , perhaps with 10K + posts you might have the courtesy of guiding them along instead of shooting them down in flames.

Katabeachbum:

the newbies in Chiang mai know all about Phuketclap2.gif clap2.gif intheclub.gif

For your information , this is not an exclusive forum for the use of a few, all members are welcome to air their opinions.

It is of no relevance none whatsoever if you have 10 posts or 25,000 that freedom is there regardless.

If anything , have a bit of respect to newbies , perhaps with 10K + posts you might have the courtesy of guiding them along instead of shooting them down in flames.

I second that. KBB needs to come down from his high horse.

Ford 2.2 Wildtrak will be delivered in April, 3.2 in August. This from Jay the guy who has worked at Ford for many years. I was there on Friday & saw the standard 2.2 AT which looked OK but I would not rave about it although it does have 150HP & the 3.2 is 200HP. He was on about Newton something (cannot recall car sales people mentioning this in the past) which he felt important to tell me but I switched off as when it comes to power I can easily compare engine sizes with HP. Not sure how one engine of the same size can generate more HP than another.

Ford 2.2 Wildtrak will be delivered in April, 3.2 in August. This from Jay the guy who has worked at Ford for many years. I was there on Friday & saw the standard 2.2 AT which looked OK but I would not rave about it although it does have 150HP & the 3.2 is 200HP. He was on about Newton something (cannot recall car sales people mentioning this in the past) which he felt important to tell me but I switched off as when it comes to power I can easily compare engine sizes with HP. Not sure how one engine of the same size can generate more HP than another.

They told me April when i placed a order in February, sounds like things have not changed