New Internet Laws

RioMist

If and when the USA introduce new laws to stop copyright downloading, would this mean that they will have the power to block any overseas sites that promote illigal downloading? I can't see that the USA have powers to go to website operating outside the USA and close them. If they introduce new laws how can they police sites that operate outside the USA? I mean if a site operating in China for instance where you can download say movies or copyrighted software how can the USA law prevent this?

Edited by RioMist

Yes, they just have.

megupload.com was owned by foreigners, registered overseas, hosted overseas yet the owners are now on trial in the states.

It depends on the country and whether they have interntional copyright agreements with the us.

Any country could refuse, but knowing the us that would probably result in the announcement of a fictitious terrorist and a new war.

megupload.com was owned by foreigners, registered overseas, hosted overseas yet the owners are now on trial in the states.

Megaupload used rented servers in Washington. Had they not done so they probably could never have been touched by a US court.

In fact the management of Megaupload didn't really go to much (any) trouble to protect themselves. Maybe a guy who changes his name to "Dotcom" really is a bit of a wanke_r as he might appear, even if he does earn umpteen million USD a year.

Yes, they just have.

It depends on the country and whether they have interntional copyright agreements with the us.

Any country could refuse, but knowing the us that would probably result in the announcement of a fictitious terrorist and a new war.

The servers where in the USA and i guess since the companies rights they were violating are US companies they can do this. I dont think the US can go anywhere like China and shut down a site, they would need the cooperation of the company that operates the sever and then cooperation from that country.