Australia Day Celebrations In Chiangmai

lanky

they are many bars offering this.the downunder pub is opening on that day.you just have to look around the bars of chiang mai

what about the 69 bar the owner is from Perth I am sure he will have some good Aussie celebrations.

Bondi. Shrimp on the barbie. Sausage-sizzle. A few more snags. A Coke - or three. Strains of "Waltzing Matilda" and "Advance Australia Fair". A slog with a cricket bat. Aeroguard. Hazy-lazy. Another slap of sun-tan lotion. Feed the flies. Aaahh!

Anyone think of some more things to do for Australia day that you can't 'cause you're here in Chiang Mai.

Maybe some Aussies could arrange a similar get-together right here in Chiang Mai for next year

Cheers - and Happy Australia Day all you Vegemite chompers from the Land Down-Under !

Australia Day!

A new holiday for us!

What cultural events are being planned?

Hello AnnaBanana. Welcome to the forum.

Australia has very good agricultural plans. What more do you want - or need ?

And, Old Gringo. Shame on you ! The closest thing to that is the old gambling game "Two-Up" where one tosses pennies.

Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

Australia Day!

A new holiday for us!

What cultural events are being planned?

There will be cultural events aplenty, enough to satisfy even the most demanding culture-vulture from Down Under.

The festivities will will kick off with mud-wrestling on the banks of the Ping River and be followed by a "Funny Haircut" contest.

Organizers will then challenge everybody to find a way to Tha Phae Gate "without passing a pub". A bumper of Foster's being the prize upon arrival.

The multitude, savvy as only a crowd of Australians could be, will suss it out immediately. You don't pass them. You GO IN!

After the last of this horde has staggered in to Tha Phae and been declared winners they will be greeted with the Grand Finale. An immense tableau vivant representing "The Triumph of the Middle Class". With scenes symbolic of of the collective accomplishments of Australians.

The creation of an entirely new language not mutually comprehensible with the mother-tongue.

Civility fighting for her life against the overwhelming strength of Dame Edna Everidge.

Noblesse Oblige utterly vanquished by the populace.

The Muses wandering and totally lost in the Outback.

And that is just to name a few.

The fun will be brought to an end with a raffle drawing for the lucky winner of the Grand Prize.

A romantic evening with Julia Gillard

Bondi. Shrimp on the barbie. Sausage-sizzle. A few more snags. A Coke - or three. Strains of "Waltzing Matilda" and "Advance Australia Fair". A slog with a cricket bat. Aeroguard. Hazy-lazy. Another slap of sun-tan lotion. Feed the flies. Aaahh!

Anyone think of some more things to do for Australia day that you can't 'cause you're here in Chiang Mai.

Maybe some Aussies could arrange a similar get-together right here in Chiang Mai for next year

Cheers - and Happy Australia Day all you Vegemite chompers from the Land Down-Under !

4 n 20 and this year the LAMBada

• Like 1

Is Dwarf Tossing legal in Thailand?

To answer your question, OldGringo, no.

Back in the mid 1990's some drunken Australian yobbo was at a late night after closing party at the Huay Kaew waterfall with some of the staff from John's Place/Cosy Corner. He decided to throw one of the doormen off the waterfall, the little fellah was thrown to his death. The yobbo was consequently locked up and eventually his family raised funds sufficient to expedite his release and soothe things over with the deceased's family. Sad but true.

Back in the mid 1990's some drunken Australian yobbo was at a late night after closing party at the Huay Kaew waterfall with some of the staff from John's Place/Cosy Corner. He decided to throw one of the doormen off the waterfall, the little fellah was thrown to his death. The yobbo was consequently locked up and eventually his family raised funds sufficient to expedite his release and soothe things over with the deceased's family. Sad but true.

Are you seeking redemption?

Thanks for the input Blinky Bill.

I never heard the story. Otherwise I wouldn't have made a facetious reference to what I understood to be a bar game originating Down Under.

Perennial adolescence has it's comic side which lends itself easily to satire. Except when carried too far, as in the case you mention.

Australia has many unique things that can be regarded as Darwinian conundrums of evolution in isolation.

Some of them should never leave their homeland.

Dwarf Tossing and the people who get off on it are good examples.

But hey, I was born in the USA and that's a place of omnipresent weirdness that makes the Land of Oz look normal.

Happy Australia Day mates.

Thanks for the input Blinky Bill.

I never heard the story. Otherwise I wouldn't have made a facetious reference to what I understood to be a bar game originating Down Under.

Perennial adolescence has it's comic side which lends itself easily to satire. Except when carried too far, as in the case you mention.

Australia has many unique things that can be regarded as Darwinian conundrums of evolution in isolation.

Some of them should never leave their homeland.

Dwarf Tossing and the people who get off on it are good examples.

But hey, I was born in the USA and that's a place of omnipresent weirdness that makes the Land of Oz look normal.

Happy Australia Day mates.

What's this Gringo, dissing Aussies again?

"Yer no mate of ours" I can just hear them say that.

We should start a topic asking for a complete list of insults used in the Language of Oz.

Then we'd have some ammunition to defend ourselves against your own gratuitous insults and snide comments.

Perennial adolescence and lack of emotional restraint characterize you to a "T".

So much so that you could be considered an Honorary Austrailian and be fully accepted among the Brotherhood of Mates all over the world.

G'Day Old Bro.

Turmoil in Canberra.

Will it spread to Thailand?

If the number of Aboriginal tourists increases by next year we may have parallel Australia Day / Invasion Day festivities here in Chiang Mai.

Dwarf Tossing will seem tame by comparison to what we can expect then.

• 11 months later...

I must apologise to all the moderators for a scathing report I sent about a posting by Blinky Bill having been made as I failed to read the date. I should have known that moderators would never fake a post from a deceased much liked member.

I really wish the pm symbol would light and there would be a PM from him calling me a silly B for doing that.

Edited by harrry