Is There Something About Thailand That Makes It An Especially Good Place To Be Gay?

submaniac

Ok, sorry for the question from the straight guy, but I was just curious about if there is something about Thailand and the culture, that is better to be gay in than other parts of the world. I know people from all over the world are on this forum, and most of you could go anywhere in the world that you wanted to. But you choose Thailand. Is it just because you are in serious relationships with someone and don't want to leave, is it that Thailand is an especially gay friendly culture (which it kind of is...unlike the Bible thumpers, Thailand's Buddhist religion doesn't make being gay a sin). Is it just that even if you were straight you would be here, etc. I am just curious. I have noticed some things...not alot of gay women in this forum, and there aren't alot of "let's bitch and moan about Thailand" that happens in the gay forum which happens alot on the general forum.

Edited by submaniac

I think it's true that there's less overt discrimination than in many countries. Certainly many of us who are regular on the forum are in serious relationships, and it can sometimes be difficult to make contact with gay circles unless you are. This is often just a language problem. In my case, my partner's family are fully supportive, and indeed my "in-laws" would welcome us contracting a civil partnership. This is not, however, possible in Thailand, and means a trip to Vietnam or elsewhere, which is not practicable for us at the moment.

Sometimes we come on the gay forum to argue.... but why bitch? Frankly I simply cannot understand the bitching mentality; what on earth are they doing here if they don't like it?

Thanks for asking, Submaniac- always glad to have open-minded straight visitors here.

What I see as a common denominator behind what is good about the gay life here is a marked lack of homophobia as it is expressed in most countries with a Christian heritage. People are not afraid to experience and express emotional and physical affection for people they care about, whatever sex they are. That doesn't eliminate discrimination, social mobility problems, or personal prejudice- but it does mean that when two guys are walking down the street with arms around each others' shoulders, the first thoughts of the town aren't 'uh-oh, those guys are gay!' And they probably won't be assaulted.

Gays do experience problems here that straight people won't- that's a constant in any country- but I think their problems are less severe than many other places.

If you're asking if/why this attracts foreigners- well, all other things equal, that's an attraction. Try pretending to be a very obvious gay in the US or the UK for a few days and see how that changes things. There are also other reasons foreigners might be attracted to gay Thailand, but these are in the same category as why the straight foreigners might be brought here mostly, I think.

• Like 1

I can speak only for myself. I would live in Thailand even if I were straight. Most of my friends are straight, and in fact, when I first "fell in love with Thailand", I didn't even know where the gay bars are.

Living here, it is an advantage that there is no stigma to being gay. Some people might have different experiences, but my experience is that nobody cares whether my significant other is male or female. (What matters though is class.)

I can also confirm what IJWT said. I have straight friends who are mistaken for being gay and don't care. In fact, I also know many guys who would consider themselves straight but have experiences or even relationships with guys. That's why in Thailand and some other countries, the term MSM (men having sex with men) is often used, as there is not a defined line between gay and straight, it is blurred.

That makes living here easier than in many other countries.

I can speak only for myself. I would live in Thailand even if I were straight. ....

Ditto. Being gay just isn't particularly important to most people here, and it certainly isn't as important as being farang/Thai, rich/poor, young/old, etc - with the exception of some Russians in Pattaya who, despite a number of Russian gays here, still appear to feel obliged to pass comment about gays, him, me or both of us amongst themselves.

i would of still loved living here if i were straight, being from holland for me it wasn't about gays being accepted.

i fell in love after my first holiday here 16 years ago because of its beauty, the people and the layed back mentallity.

Most of my friends are straight and i dont really do the gay scene, my boyfriend and I are happy to just live a "normal"

life together in a beautiful country.

rick

• Like 1