Mazda Bt-50 Launched

OK Ford you lost another one...me and wifey and twin SIL just ordered two 3.2 4x4s with guesstimated delivery next month..lots of goodies almost per Wildtrac spec plus a bit of two order commission which wifey negotiated. !!

Went to Ford first and got the "we don't know" routine. Phone Bangkok. I says....cannot they says!!! ...maybe? 3.2 in April.delivery.....aaah!!! FFsake!! ....Cannot have this colour/options with with this model etc etc

Guess I will get used to the "transformer " front end .

Test drove two door and four door 2.2L..blew my socks off compared to our old Mazda 250.

Nothing I did not like about the Mazda..front end is not so bad "in the flesh"..lol Price was great!

Is there the same amount of space inside the Mazda compared to the Ranger? I was sitting inside a 4 door Ranger and had to push the drivers seat all the way back in order to sit comfortable and then I went to the back seat behind the driver and I could sit there OK without my knees hitting the drivers back rest (just), so pretty good space inside.

May I ask why you buy the 3.2L? The 2.2L should much more economical on fuel and most testers says almost same overtaking power unless fully loaded.

good question..sort of liked the idea of 3.2 5 cylinder..we live up an mountain with a road from hell ...think the numbers quoted , 8point something/100k on fuel economy are marginally better or same as our Y2k B250..sooo...

Your right the 2.2 seemed to FLY...maybe just a an immature macho thing? lol

Not sure about the leg/headroom as being a skinny 5ft 9 'er at 160 lbs not an issue..wifey is about 80 lbs soaking wet...as for passengers..this is a farm working truck ( freestyle cab ordered).....they can sit on mat in the bed.

Really think the Mazda is finished better...dash in Ford looks like the 2011 model almost afterthought.the B has comfort and drives like a sedan...lovely vehicle...very impressed. Service from only a Thai speaking lady in Mazda Trang ( have two sites!) was superb..she actually knew answers to my questions and when she did not she just phoned her manager....NOW we will see about delivery lead time...no hurry so not a big deal.

Will advise.....

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KBB, Thanks, I noticed on the aussie mazda website that the bt50 also comes with a rearview camera. Seems like it doesn't have it here, perhaps to keep down costs. I have no experience with either mazda or ford in LoS so can anyone comment on their service competence? Hear lots of bad news about ford but not much about mazda...I'd also consider the bt50 if I could get my hear around those rear lamps and it had a rear camera (would need it fitted as MRO said in another post..)

Edited by culicine

KBB, Thanks, I noticed on the aussie mazda website that the bt50 also comes with a rearview camera. Seems like it doesn't have it here, perhaps to keep down costs. I have no experience with either mazda or ford in LoS so can anyone comment on their service competence? Hear lots of bad news about ford but not much about mazda...I'd also consider the bt50 if I could get my hear around those rear lamps and it had a rear camera (would need it fitted as MRO said in another post..)

Well..as previously posted, we ordered two a couple of days ago and found them very competent and knowledgeable in the buying cycle atleast...Have a B250 currently and found them to be quite acceptable in the service line not like the Toyota people who tend to make a sort of 'big face experience" of getting anything done at great and sometimes unnecessary expense....think many Thai owners like that though...big day out all dressed up , begolded etc lol...

Both wife and SIL received phone calls yesterday from the manager at Mazda Trang asking about our buying experience and if everything was to our satisfaction re the sales girls knowledge and efficiency ,info etc....nice warm fuzzy that !!!

Also got an email by return from Mazda Thailand after I requested they Anglicize their website ( English site is still touting old BT50!) Said they are doing it ASAP specs pricing etc.............................hmmm..lol

Gotta say though went to NS Thammarat Mazda last year about a 2011 model and found them pathetic and frustrating in many respects...poor location, small dealership and frick all parking ta boot...So depends on dealership I guess...

I'm really liking the Mazda having seen it close up a few days ago, and now that I have come to terms with the front end styling, I just have to start liking those tail lights... smile.png

I am pretty set on the Mazda too & will likely buy one in a few months but I agree about the tail lights.

not so much how they look but I do not like having part of them in the tailgate itself.

The tailgate takes a beating with slamming & even left down at times. So having the lights half on & half off the tailgate

is not very well thought our IMHO

Just received this from Mazda Thailand..a lot of hype but does have some interesting info on standard equipment and options

Thanks for that, got one for the Ranger?

No, sorry...never get a reply from them..

Another update..got a call from our Mazda dealer two days back..asked would we like the 4x4 3.2l 2 door that has just arrived in their showroom! Wifey did not like the colour so told 'em we would wait for the white we ordered.

Strange that Ford is still short of parts seemingly....would think that they will be losing out market share this year big time their release seems one big cluster f... in Thailand atleast...

Maybe they don't consider it a problem as they are aiming at export markets and trying to keep them happy first...?

^

lol..yup had a few 4x4s but never a roo bar/pedestrian killer....many stories about them causing more domino front end damage than they prevent..getting quite used to the smiley eyes really..and of course the wife loves the look so case closed...

Re the BT50 4x4 vs Wildtrack ..comparing specs, noticed the Wildtrac supposedly has rear wheel diff lock.?

Very confusing all these acronym-ed gizmos , hill decent control, anti sway, roll over inhibit etc..

How the f does one know if the bugger is installed or not and to what advantage apart from EBD/ALB if one has reasonable driving skills..

...and why according to spec sheet the latter little equipped dots/s are only on the four door...don't understand the logic...

ours is not to reason why I guess....rant over..violin.gif

^

lol..yup had a few 4x4s but never a roo bar/pedestrian killer....many stories about them causing more domino front end damage than they prevent..getting quite used to the smiley eyes really..and of course the wife loves the look so case closed...

Re the BT50 4x4 vs Wildtrack ..comparing specs, noticed the Wildtrac supposedly has rear wheel diff lock.?

Very confusing all these acronym-ed gizmos , hill decent control, anti sway, roll over inhibit etc..

How the f does one know if the bugger is installed or not and to what advantage apart from EBD/ALB if one has reasonable driving skills..

...and why according to spec sheet the latter little equipped dots/s are only on the four door...don't understand the logic...

ours is not to reason why I guess....rant over..violin.gif

Just reading T6 thread and was posted that options are potentially often installed but not activated a la Volvo? Maybe true ..differently burned chip-set for braking control?

the Ford brochure says the Wildtrac has RDL but not in the spec sheet...? maybe since it's in Thai it says it don't have it? lol..

TH Wiltrak's have a limited slip rear end, but do not have the locking rear diff other markets get.

If you look to the left of the A/C controls, you'll notice there're provisions for two black buttons- the one on the left-top is the Hill Descent Control, but on the left-bottom where the LRD should be, there's just a blanking plate...

Edit: Here's a photo of a TH model W/T, showing where the LRD button normally goes:

wtthainolrd.jpg

And here's the missing button on an Australian version:

wtauwithlrd.jpg

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Yeah, I saw that pic awhile back, I thought it was strange too but just put it down to an early demo car.

On Fords web site they state that it has LRD, would they be able to get out of that advertisement?

Sure they can get out of it - read the disclaimer ;)

If you pay close attention to that page, you'll notice it has a huge mistake too:

http://www.ford.co.th/servlet/Satellite?c=DFYPage&cid=1248927618966&pagename=wrapper&site=FTHEN&WT.ac=CTA_SA_Experience_Bottom#f=1

Can you see it?...

The left graphic should read "4x4 LOW locking rear diff"

Yeah, I saw that pic awhile back, I thought it was strange too but just put it down to an early demo car.

On Fords web site they state that it has LRD, would they be able to get out of that advertisement?

Sure they can get out of it - read the disclaimer wink.png

If you pay close attention to that page, you'll notice it has a huge mistake too:

http://www.ford.co.t...ence_Bottom#f=1

Can you see it?...

The left graphic should read "4x4 LOW locking rear diff"

Yea, Thailand does get all of those side curtain airbags...just the front passenger and driver airbags.

This in The Thai spec..not sure what it says but....

post-36430-0-37533000-1329954028_thumb.j

Never liked the round chrome side pipes, unless they bolted up to a collector and had a little smoke is blowing through them…watch the legs ladies…

I think the satin-finish stainless with polished accents will look good, but I still don’t like plastic insets. My first Isuzu LS had body color and a dmax logo molded in.

I keep thinking I’m going to brake-up a set of side boards and a matching tool-box in SS but I’m to fn lazy.

Just received this from Mazda Thailand..a lot of hype but does have some interesting info on standard equipment and options

Another update..got a call from our Mazda dealer two days back..asked would we like the 4x4 3.2l 2 door that has just arrived in their showroom! Wifey did not like the colour so told 'em we would wait for the white we ordered.

Strange that Ford is still short of parts seemingly....would think that they will be losing out market share this year big time their release seems one big cluster f... in Thailand atleast...

Maybe they don't consider it a problem as they are aiming at export markets and trying to keep them happy first...?

i ordered the 4x4 black 2 doors 3.2l, delivery time --> end april, and you?

i ordered the 4x4 black 2 doors 3.2l, delivery time --> end april, and you?

2 door 3.2l 4x4 white...delivery next month ( ordered three weeks ago approx).......Got a call from Bangkok Mazda (in English)..wanted to check on order?...did not have any additional info re delivery ..lol

Think we all ought to leave KBB alone until what really happened (if that's possible) becomes known, after all this is the ''motoring forum''.. .

violin.gifclap2.gifWPFflags.gif

me left 5k with Ford some months ago for aq Wildtrac too..sending in the wife and sis marines to get it back..KBB can take care of himself I am sure....giggle.gif

Think we all ought to leave KBB alone until what really happened (if that's possible) becomes known, after all this is the ''motoring forum''.. .

violin.gifclap2.gifWPFflags.gif

me left 5k with Ford some months ago for aq Wildtrac too..sending in the wife and sis marines to get it back..KBB can take care of himself I am sure....giggle.gif

dugh !!!! okay just woke up to what you guys are talking about...wife just heard it on news...and saw elswhere on TV...nasty!!

Has anyone actually seen the 3.2 on showroom floor or just another rumour! Finding it hard to believe Ford came out with an engine and let Mazda model sell it first, as BT-50 and Ranger is the same under that body, Mazda just decided to do a clown face on theirs!!

• Like 1

Went to the Mazda Showroom in Bang Chang, actually a shop house unit and asked when the 3.2 top spec arrive... answer was May, Pattaya where I paid the deposit couldn't give me that information...

I photoshoped the BT-50 for those who don't like the tail lights... A local painter should do that for around 3000/4000thb.

post-53608-133078425761_thumb.jpg

Edited by Superkatsu