Jomtien Cannot Convert Tourist To Non Imm O Visa

I have posted a few threads recently about being unable to obtain my annual retirement visa in Australia, because of the very remote location I was in, and the lack of access to postal services. I have had to return to Thailand on a tourist stamp, and, like many other people, thought I could convert this to a non imm O visa at Jomtien office, as the first step in obtaining a year extension based on retirement or marriage.

This is just to let everyone know, that Jomtien say they cannot do this and I have to go to Bangkok instead.

Bummer !

I didn't get as far as the paperwork stage Mario, a girl on the front counter told me they couldn't do it, and I was sort of left there in Limbo, so I asked an official walking around who seemed to be a supervisor of some sort, and he said exactly the same.

All the paperwork was in order, but no one wanted to see it !

My (very imperfect) understanding on this is that if you come in as you put it 'on a tourist stamp" you don't actually have a visa - therefore there is nothing to "convert" as you put it.

You therefore require a visa to be issued, which is a much more demanding process in country.

My (very imperfect) understanding on this is that if you come in as you put it 'on a tourist stamp" you don't actually have a visa - therefore there is nothing to "convert" as you put it.

You therefore require a visa to be issued, which is a much more demanding process in country.

That's the way I understood it as well. If you come in on a proper tourist visa issued outside Thailand it can be converted but the 'visa on arrival' stamp cannot. That you could possibly convert an arrival stamp in Bangkok is interesting and surprising.

Did you talk to the British guy that volunteers there or the Thai guy that walks around? That Brit guy seems to be pretty good and his predecessor is now working for the british Consulate I believe.

That Thai guy I must say is very subtle and NOT very helpful at all. The girls are just volunteering to help at the desk to improve their English skills but are very good most of the time.

Edited by Gone

"Gone" I know who you mean, not sure if he is English or generic European, but he is helpful and knowledgeable, but unfortunately he wasn't there. What else could I do except accept what the Thai girl and the Thai man who walks around as gospel. Now I have to go to BKK and hopefully take every single scrap of paper I can think of with me.

Look here for the file, should be on page 2:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/category/6-thai-immigration-application-forms/page__sort_order__ASC__sort_key__file_submitted__num__10__st__10

Form is tm86 or tm87.

TM86 is for conversion from a tourist visa and tm87 for conversion from a visa exempt entry. Guess you need tm86.

Believe they are in word format.

I could convert this to a non imm O visa at Jomtien office, as the first step in obtaining a year extension based on retirement or marriage.

Conversions leading to retirement extension can be processed outside Bangkok. Conversions leading to marriage extension are handled in Bangkok. Were you clear that this was for retirement? If not, or if it's for marriage, welcome to "the way it is."

• Like 1

Ah, I see from another thread that, indeed, you're converting for marriage extension purposes. Thus, you need to go to Bankgok for the conversion. This seems to be standard throughout Thailand -- conversions are only handled outside Bangkok for retirement extensions.

Your quote:

I had intended to get a three month visa while in Aus, and convert it to a married (to a Thai) visa on my return. (I have 400k in a Thai bank for the required period). The honorary UK consul in Jomtien said this would be the way to go.