Great News For First Time Car Buyers

drdaveperry

According to the ladies in the Bangkok Excise Tax office Thailand is in a time of crisis and they are not allowing documents to be filed for the First Time Car Buyers tax rebate. Last week I tried to file the documents and I was told to hold up until further notice. Again according to the ladies at the Excise Tax office, the government department is not sure of exactly how they will refund the tax. Or even if they can honor their agreement..... angry.png

Hmm... actually I was waiting to read good news ... :-( as foreigners able to get the deductions also ... anyway, any official document or newspaper article/comment about this ?

Just naive question ...

Yeah and maybe like applies to first time new cars and not just first time cars new or not.. Not surprised of the real topic though it always was suspect just like every other scheme they dream up on a moments notice and no real practical common sense applied.

I read several Thai-language motoring-related forums each day, and I am yet to see any posts even remotely close to corroborating this. Not saying it isn't true - just saying smile.png

Are you sure there wasn't a misunderstanding, or that perhaps you didn't get the whole story?

At the time I was hoping it was a misunderstanding. I found the official's knowledge about the current Tax Rebate situation rather limited as well as she not knowing which office we should file the documents. After one hour discussing the matter I suggested we simply try a different Excise Tax office. Following this meeting we contacted the car finance manager of our bank. He said our bank was told not to file any Tax Rebate documents until further notice. The manager said the bank's stance is when the government makes up their mind on what they are doing then the bank will do their part. I am only reporting what as happened to us and I not saying either one of these individuals are incorrect in their information.

not sure everybody knows this but the wife was at our tax office last week to claim tax back on interest paid on savings account,and they told her to claim a refund on car tax you have got to be registered.

not sure everybody knows this but the wife was at our tax office last week to claim tax back on interest paid on savings account,and they told her to claim a refund on car tax you have got to be registered.

And there's the rub!! Thai catch-22.. rolleyes.gif

Just read the latest info from the excise dept. website, and it doesn't appear that anything has changed:

http://www.excise.go...dex.php?id=1015

As before, you have to sign a form that waives your right to transfer ownership for 5 years (which DLT needs to stamp), and another form that proclaims your intention to claim the rebate in a year's time.

Then, in a year's time it's up to you to lodge the final claim form.

Do you know which forms you had with you when you went to the excise dept? Did you have the transfer of ownership waiver, notorised by the DLT with you? Or perhaps you tried to submit the actual claim (which would be premature)?

Just trying to look for a logical explanation... wink.png

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Just went to our local excise tax office in Chiang Rai to ask what documents were needed to claim the rebate and nothing had changed since we asked a few months ago when this was first confirmed. As soon as the blue book is issued we can submit all documents, then 3 months later we can check that we have been approved and then 1yr after the application is first registered the rebate will be deposited into a bank account of our choice.

My wife asked whether there was any truth in a rumour that is circulating on a popular farang forum that the Govt has postponed the rebate or stopped receiving applications and they'd heard nothing about it, one lady even rang BKK to check they hadn't missed an update but they also confirmed everything is still the same.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is meant by "have to be registered"?

as my wife's last work in los was back in 1990 she had to fill in a lot of new forms and show them she was a tax payer in the uk.i myself had to register,a lot of paper work 2trips to the tax office,then i was given an id card with my name and address on it and a tax id no.so you must have this tax id, so if you claim any refund without it no payeeeeeeeeeee.

Just went to our local excise tax office in Chiang Rai to ask what documents were needed to claim the rebate and nothing had changed since we asked a few months ago when this was first confirmed. As soon as the blue book is issued we can submit all documents, then 3 months later we can check that we have been approved and then 1yr after the application is first registered the rebate will be deposited into a bank account of our choice.

My wife asked whether there was any truth in a rumour that is circulating on a popular farang forum that the Govt has postponed the rebate or stopped receiving applications and they'd heard nothing about it, one lady even rang BKK to check they hadn't missed an update but they also confirmed everything is still the same.

I am sorry this is being considered a rumor. Simply just asking for guidance.............. I understand the same process as mentioned above. We tried to follow the instructions as set forth. We had our documents verified at the previous Excise Tax office. Our car is financed with a major Thai bank so we tried to get them to do their part. Maybe our bank finance manager was misinformed about the Excise Tax Rebate as well as the officer on what is the next step. We will try another Excise Tax location. Thank you for the reassurance that this program has not changed

as my wife's last work in los was back in 1990 she had to fill in a lot of new forms and show them she was a tax payer in the uk.i myself had to register,a lot of paper work 2trips to the tax office,then i was given an id card with my name and address on it and a tax id no.so you must have this tax id, so if you claim any refund without it no payeeeeeeeeeee.

This was speculated about in the original thread about the excise tax rebate and it was confirmed that, as you aren't claiming a rebate on tax earned through employment, you don't need to have a tax# to claim the excise tax. Excise tax on a car is very different to tax paid through earnings and there is no mention of it anywhere in the link provided by MRO earlier either.

Just read the latest info from the excise dept. website, and it doesn't appear that anything has changed:

http://www.excise.go...dex.php?id=1015

As before, you have to sign a form that waives your right to transfer ownership for 5 years (which DLT needs to stamp), and another form that proclaims your intention to claim the rebate in a year's time.

Then, in a year's time it's up to you to lodge the final claim form.

Do you know which forms you had with you when you went to the excise dept? Did you have the transfer of ownership waiver, notorised by the DLT with you? Or perhaps you tried to submit the actual claim (which would be premature)?

Just trying to look for a logical explanation... wink.png

Mr. MoonRiverOasis, thank you for your objective reasoning. Could you please PM............. I have a question about the Tax Rebate that I would rather not post.