Thai Army Dismisses Reports Of Thai-Cambodian Military Clash

webfact

Army dismisses reports of Thai-Cambodian military clash

image_201201251744391477A474-F16F-E7C5-E5957A08236A5949.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 26 – The Royal Thai Army on Wednesday dismissed reports of a renewed clash between Thai and Cambodian soldiers at Ta Kwai Temple, but conceded that one soldier was wounded in a gunshot accident.

Thai army spokesman Col Sansern Kaewkamnerd stood firm that there was no military clash at the Surin province bordering Cambodia.

Col Sansern said the Second Army Region Command reported that the wounded soldier was Cpl Veerawat Pairoh, accidentally shot in the leg while on patrol along the border as another soldier fell and accidentally shot him with his 9mm pistol. The wounded man was sent to hospital.

The army spokesman said there was no reaction from Cambodian soldiers following the accident.

Second Army Region commander Lt-Gen Thawatchai Samutsakorn who oversees the border area earlier said that no clash between troops of the two neighbours had occurred.

Ties between Thailand and Cambodia have been strained with sporadic clashes between their troops since the historic Preah Vihear temple was granted UN World Heritage status in July 2008.

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) ruled in 1962 that the temple belonged to Cambodia, but a 4.6 square kilometre (1.8 square mile) surrounding area remains in dispute as both countries claim ownership of the tract.

The court, last July ordered Thailand and Cambodia to withdraw their troops from the newly-defined demilitarised zone in a disputed portion of their border around the temple while urging both countries to work with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) to agree to allow the regional bloc's observers to enter the disputed zone.

The two neighbours agreed to follow the court’s order and use the General Border Committee mechanism to consider details in implementing it. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2012-01-26

Just out of curiosity. Which side would win in a full scale war between Thailand and Cambodia?

I know that a real war between Thailand and Cambodia (or any other country) is very unlikely to happen, but what if?

Edited by ricku

Just out of curiosity. Which side would win in a full scale war between Thailand and Cambodia?

I know that a real war between Thailand and Cambodia (or any other country) is very unlikely to happen, but what if?

Thailand,the Thai govt would make an appeal to all retired expat special forces who live in Pattaya,the bars would empty and the war would be over in days.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 2

Which country's properly trained soldiers walk around with an unholstered pistol with the safety off? The only reason you do that is if you are in a situation where the use of the weapon in needed, no soldier casually walks around with an unholstered pistol with the safety off.

• Like 2

Thailand,the Thai govt would make an appeal to all retired expat special forces who live in Pattaya,the bars would empty and the war would be over in days.

Surely Thailand will win for the following reasons:

Thailand has a bigger population

Thailand has more land

Thailand have more weapon

Thailand weapon is more advance

Thailand have an airforce

Thailand have more money

Thailand have more foreign friend

Thailand is more democratic

Thai people more educated

Thai people more disipline

Thai people love their country more

Thai prople have great leader

Thai army have strategy and plan

Oops, come to think of it. US also have all those quality above, but Vietnam won.

Edited by sparebox2
  • Like 2

Surely Thailand will win for the following reasons:

Thailand has a bigger population

Thailand has more land

Thailand have more weapon

Thailand weapon is more advance

Thailand have an airforce

Thailand have more money

Thailand have more foreign friend

Thailand is more democratic

Thai people more educated

Thai people more disipline

Thai people love their country more

Thai prople have great leader

Thai army have strategy and plan

Oops, come to think of it. US also have all those quality above, but Vietnam won.

You're wrong on the last 3 points- Vietnamese people love their country, for many of them it was a war of nationalism, many Americans wondered what they were doing in Vietnam.

Ho Chi Minh was an inspirational leader. President Johnson gave up and Nixon looked plainly untrustworthy.

General Giap had a great strategy and plan. The Americans floundered and lost all sense of purpose.

• Like 1

Smacks of lack of discipline to have soldiers walking around in a recently "hot" zone, falling over themselves with guns going off, injuring each other. What a sad little circus.

Imagine this happening at Panmunjom.

220px-Panmunjeom_DMZ.png

Vietnam

Spot On smile.png

Yeah, any little third-world country who can beat the socks off the USA superpower is a foe to be reckoned with. I tutored Viet immigrants in the USA, and in times of joking banter they often reminded me that they whipped our a$$ses. What could I say?