Budget Cars

Charlie

The March still has the edge over the Brio - why not test-drive them both and make your own decision? You could choose the sedan-version of the March, the Almera, depending on your requirements. I believe that this year the Mitsubishi Colt will be released - that could be worth waiting for before making a purchase.

Other alternatives are the Proton Savvy, and Cherry QQ - neither of which I would recommend. Chevrolet will release the Spark this year or next, I'm not sure. I wouldn't wait for that.

<p>

The March still has the edge over the Brio - why not test-drive them both and make your own decision? You could choose the sedan-version of the March, the Almera, depending on your requirements. I believe that this year the Mitsubishi Colt will be released - that could be worth waiting  for before making a purchase.

Other alternatives are the Proton Savvy, and Cherry QQ - neither of which I would recommend. Chevrolet will release the Spark this year or next, I'm not sure. I wouldn't wait for that.

Proton Savvy would make a much better alternative to the Chery QQ! Chery QQ? A TOTAL RIP OFF of a GM product! Chery cant well that modelin Eurpoe for fear that GM would sue their sorry ass! Aside from that, would you actual TRUST a CHINESE BRANDED product? Isnt ur life more important tthan saving a FEW hundread dollars?www.chinacracpwatch.comTotally shameless!

Of the two you mention, the Brio is quite a bit smaller than the March and it feels very very cheap. Only real advantage i can see of the Brio is that it is fresher and might hold its value slightly better. The March has been kicking around a while now. If that bothers you, go for the Almera, although don't go any higher than the 455k manual (with electrics) version, cos if you do, like kbb says, you may as well pay the extra and get a Mazda 2.

As for Proton, i appreciate it is cheap, but i truly didn't believe cars of that sort of quality were made any more -outside of perhaps Russia and China. It really was a shock to me. I drove the Saga, which is the booted version of the Savvy.

I ran away as fast as my legs would carry me - about the same speed as the Saga.

<p>

As for Proton, i appreciate it is cheap, but i truly didn't believe cars of that sort of quality were made any more -outside of perhaps Russia and China. It really was a shock to me. I drove the Saga, which is the booted version of the Savvy.

I ran away as fast as my legs would carry me - about the same speed as the Saga.

I understand the SAGA to essentially be an early 1990s Mitsubishi Cold/Mirage. The Savvy is smaller and not sure what it is based one. From what ive read...

The Savvy is smaller and not sure what it is based on.

A turd perhaps.

OK, i'm being harsh, and five odd years ago, when there was no other competition, these cars had their place in the market. They no longer do, not at the prices they sell for. IMHO.

Edited by rixalex

I'm with the above that suggested the Mazda 2 over your choices although I haven't driven the Honda. For 574 bt it includes the first year's insurance, window tinting and all the extras you normally get with a car. Service has been excellent, not one single defect with the car. The March is a very cheap car and they nail you for everything. By the time you get out the door you're paying in the Mazda 2 range. The only thing I find annoying is the roof pillar can hamper your view, you get use to it. Say ouch once and get a better car. One other thing, I would go up a level and get two airbags instead of one. I think the cost goes up to 640k. Driving in Thailand is always crazy. The second year's insurance is now due, class 1 insurance is 14,200 bt.

I'm with the above that suggested the Mazda 2 over your choices although I haven't driven the Honda. For 574 bt it includes the first year's insurance, window tinting and all the extras you normally get with a car. Service has been excellent, not one single defect with the car. The March is a very cheap car and they nail you for everything. By the time you get out the door you're paying in the Mazda 2 range. The only thing I find annoying is the roof pillar can hamper your view, you get use to it. Say ouch once and get a better car. One other thing, I would go up a level and get two airbags instead of one. I think the cost goes up to 640k. Driving in Thailand is always crazy. The second year's insurance is now due, class 1 insurance is 14,200 bt.

a new mazda2 at 574k baht today comes with 2 airbags, 15mags, and the other stuff they skipped on previous entry level spec

and I must agree with you, a Nissan March in Phuket with Mazda 2 similar spec, came out at almost same price, included destination fee, Insurance, tax/reg/plate/book, extra for pearl white, etc

and I must agree with you, a Nissan March in Phuket with Mazda 2 similar spec, came out at almost same price, included destination fee, Insurance, tax/reg/plate/book, extra for pearl white, etc

If budget is your priority, i see no reason why you would buy a March and then try and spec to equal the Mazda. That makes no sense to me. The bog standard manual March at 380, or the one with radio and elecs at 420, even after adding insurance, is still much cheaper than a Mazda 2.

The chap who said that Nissan nail you, spoke as if they don't provide wheels or seats. Bog standard is perfectly drivable and a good choice for a first time buyer on a budget.

Makes me smile a post about budget models (but this also happens with other threads) and replys start firing in models that cost 50/100/200k more like it"s the small change after you've shopped at BigC/Tesco's?.

well Hondas 399k baht Brio still hasnt been manufactored for Th market, only the 470k baht manual and 510k baht auto. ad on the road charges, and Brio auto 2 x airbag or similar March are at 540k baht

searching for a budget car I also considered Suzuki Carry at 325k baht, ad 30k baht for tinroof and foldabel seats in bed. or 399k baht Colorado flatbed, ad same seating

both have crash safety on par or above base March, all have manual and clutch, Colorado probably best on fuel and certanly on power. all lack comfort or safety features

I had to move up to 574k baht Mazda2 to get what we wanted, auto, abs, 2xairbags, remote, powerwindows, heightadjustable seat, tilt steer, reverse sensors, etc

well Hondas 399k baht Brio still hasnt been manufactored for Th market,

Are you sure about that kbb? When i was in the Honda showroom before the floods i sat in the 399k baht Brio that was in the showroom and the salesman was ready to sell me one. (as i wasn't interested, i didn't ask how long the waiting list was, and obviously whatever it was, the floods will have extended it)

only the 470k baht manual and 510k baht auto. ad on the road charges, and Brio auto 2 x airbag or similar March are at 540k baht

Entry level auto March is 464k. Obviously it depends on what you consider as essential, but to my mind, for someone looking for a budget car, i can't see the problem with getting that one.

I had to move up to 574k baht Mazda2 to get what we wanted, auto, abs, 2xairbags, remote, powerwindows, heightadjustable seat, tilt steer, reverse sensors, etc

The 464k March has auto, 1 airbag, power windows, heightadjustable seat, tilt steer. Reverse sensors and remote can be thrown in as extra by dealership without any trouble. So what you are missing is ABS and an air bag. A person wanting a budget car might not be worried about that, or be willing to pay the extra 100k baht necessary.