Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Where To Get A Hamster Besides Jomtien Night Market?

susanschwaiger

Went there last night. Not too many choices, most are grown up hamsters...

Checked one shop on 3rd road today, a dwarf hamster is 200 baht, and a cage is 800 baht....In my hometown, the same hamster and house cost only 35 baht and 150 baht....(of course, in cold country there are more hamsters :)))))

Anyone knows where can find a shop with more choices of hammy ?

Thanks

Susan

I my country you'd pay 300 Baht for the hamster, so the 30 Baht price must be restricted to China. Anyways, this is Thailand... most Thais who who want a small mammal for a pet buy Sugargliders (Flying Squirrel). For both cuteness and playfulness they soundly defeat the rather boring Hamster.

I had to give away my beloved hammy (so cute and also a neat freak ) before moving to Thailand angry.png . Cats and dogs are not allowed in our condo here. ......still need to search hard. Hoping to find a "roborovskii" hamster, they are so sweet smile.png)))))

post-125519-0-87097300-1327761197_thumb.

Edited by susanschwaiger

I my country you'd pay 300 Baht for the hamster, so the 30 Baht price must be restricted to China. Anyways, this is Thailand... most Thais who who want a small mammal for a pet buy Sugargliders (Flying Squirrel). For both cuteness and playfulness they soundly defeat the rather boring Hamster.

Never seen anyone with a Sugarglider for a pet here, loads of people seem to have Thai Chipmunks though!

There is a big market at the temple at Huay Yai every friday, there is a pet shop has a stall there, all their animals seem to be healthy and clean, dont know prices though?

Edited by LennyW
  • Like 1

You would actually travel from Pattaya to Hua Hin just to buy a hamster? Did you try the market that I suggested last night right here in Pattaya?

hahaha Sorry I just noticed Huay Yai not Hua Hin.

Edited by Gone

You would actually travel from Pattaya to Hua Hin just to buy a hamster? Did you try the market that I suggested last night right here in Pattaya?

hahaha Sorry I just noticed Huay Yai not Hua Hin.

I think by the topic title that may be the market she is looking for an alternative to?

I'm not sure which market you refer to as Jomtien Night Market. The biggest market in this area is on top of Thepprasit Road, near Sukhumvit Road and Tesco Lotus. They are open Fri-Sat-Sun evening from late afternoon to around 10pm and you will find several stalls selling hamsters and other pets. I recall seeing some booths selling both hamsters and the cages, down the back in the left side area with all the food stalls. I seem to recall the hamsters were around 50-100 baht. The price for cages would obvious vary but I'm sure you can find one for 800 baht.

You can also try one of the many pet shops around. I'm not familiar with Jomtien, maybe someone else knows.

• Like 1

Never seen anyone with a Sugarglider for a pet here, loads of people seem to have Thai Chipmunks though!

There is a big market at the temple at Huay Yai every friday, there is a pet shop has a stall there, all their animals seem to be healthy and clean, dont know prices though?

I've never seen a Thai Chipmunk wild or otherwise but I Googled it and it looks like a regular chipmunk. The appeal of Sugargliders is that you can carry them around on your body, they will sleep in a shirt/jacket pocket and occasionaly pop out to check out its current surroundings. However, Hamsters have been bread for captivity, while Squirrels & Chipmunks are caught from the wild but should stay in the wild.