Samsung Galaxy Tab In Thailand And Cambodia. (Uk)

soblue2001

any advice appreciated as I'm a TOTAL novice at these things.

I plan to buy the Samsung Galaxy Tablet in the UK and use it primarily as a GPS for finding my way around BKK and CNX, and also for a holiday in Cambodia.

I'm buying a wi-fi and 3g one.

My question is will it work as a GPS without any sim card - ie no cost to me, and am I able to surf the net without a sim.

Apologies if it's a daft question!!

I can tell you for sure you are able to surf the net without a sim because you have wifi capability.

Of course you will need a hotspot to tap the wifi with though. But yes no sim needed for that.

As for the GPS I am not sure I turned mine on ( in the USA) it asked to connect to my wifi to update maps

I agreed & it lit right up with exact location....again no sim but I did connect to wifi to update maps.

Since then I have tried GPS with the wifi off & it seems to just be searching always. although I have not played with it much.

Again in all cases no sim as I have never owned or installed a sim yet.

With the PD I will try again as I have only tried while indoors

Theoretically it should work IMO because my Garmin Edge I use for cycling has

no sim nor wifi/internet yet it is accurate always.

EDIT: After trying it further it does seem to need a data connection for directions etc.

But again that can be thru WIFI as I do not have a sim in place.

Edited by flying

Have you considered just getting a dedicated GPS system? IME, for navigation, these tend to work better than Android devices.

Can you tell us which Samsung Galaxy Tablet model you are considering buying?

Typically you would have off-line maps, these are maps you download to your device, say for an entire country or region, and then you do not need a data connection.

The GPS system communicates directly with satellites independent of any data connection.

With Google Maps, you can cache a small area, but you really need a live data connection for navigating/mapping.

Obviously, you need a data connection: 2G or 3G or WiFi connection to surf the net.

This thread has some good info. for you. http://www.thaivisa....d-which-better/

Edited by lomatopo

Yes, the GPS function works without a sim (ie. you can get your coordinates, if you install one of the many GPS apps). However, you will not be able to see the *map* unless you have an internet connection via WIFI at the time.

You can get around this to some extent in Google maps by using the cache function to store areas of interest in advance.

Thailand does not have extensive Wi-Fi so you will not be able to obtain maps at most locations as Google is online only AFAIK. In the one time I used at home map location was at least 100 meters off (but not sure if GPS or Map as nothing to reference it with). Basically I was not impressed; but have never used GPS so perhaps it was just me expecting too much.

Edit: See below - now GPS is providing exact location and direction.

Edited by lopburi3

Sygic is an offline GPS map (tom tom) available from the market on a 7 day trial. and you can buy the maps from as little as 7.99 euro's to 79 euro's.(Thailand 19.99) but they do do sales on these prices from time to time.

If you buy the TAB here in Thailand you will get Speednavi (esri) free BUT it does take a few days to actually get it working, registering etc.

Thanks for all the replies.

I plan to buy the Samsung GT P6800 - quite a high spec. I dont want to buy a separate GPS as the tab seems to be a very adequate GPS on its on (over here anyway), and I was wanting something where I could wander about, take photos, connect to the net and browse ThaiVisa whilst having a beer!!

I suppose from the replies I should buy a sim as backup - I'll check them out. I'll look for something that gives me a few minutes talktime, but mainly high download data allowance.

Again - thanks for assistance.

Thanks for all the replies.

I plan to buy the Samsung GT P6800 - quite a high spec. I dont want to buy a separate GPS as the tab seems to be a very adequate GPS on its on (over here anyway), and I was wanting something where I could wander about, take photos, connect to the net and browse ThaiVisa whilst having a beer!!

I suppose from the replies I should buy a sim as backup - I'll check them out. I'll look for something that gives me a few minutes talktime, but mainly high download data allowance.

Again - thanks for assistance.

How much are they in the UK.. here they are 18,900b if your here 6mths you can get a sim with 3g from 3H or similar

http://truemove.com/3g/en/package.html

make sure you get one using the correct frequency for 3G for your service provider. DTAC and True have a different frequency than AIS.

thats true..

850-2100mhz 3G(WCDMA) for true/dtac/cat

AND 900-2100MHZ 3G (WCDMA) for AIS

TOT 2100/1900mhz 3g

BUT no problem with this samsung 7.7 as it has the lot. You just have to make sure that the Tab is not locked to the UK service provider if you get it on UK contract.

Do you need Turn-by-turn navigation? If so, you may want to find a paid or free navigation package which supports off-line maps; where you download a map for entire country to your device so you don't need a data connection.

Google Maps does not support turn-by-turn navigation here in Thailand. (It can be hacked to work.)

If you just need to see where you are, and get directions then Google Maps would be sufficient. You could cache some areas while connected to WiFi, and/or use mobile broadband (2G/3G) for real-time connectivity to Google Maps. DTAC has some new 3G pricing which basically includes unlimited data at 384 Kbps above the threshold. So 1 GB of 2G/3G for 399 baht/month, with 384 Kbps when you go over 1 GB. They have 3 GB and 5 GB levels as well.

Since your unit supports GSM you might as well get a SIM with a voice and data plan.

just an add on why not buy the nOTE.. Smaller screen 5" but then you have phone and everything in a smaller to carry profile

too late - I bought the Samsung Tablet already. I thought about a smaller phone, or a 10 inch tab, but in the end it was a compromise, so plumped for a 7 inch due to portability. I wont be making many calls anyway, and ironically I'll be using an old Nokia N95 which has a better camera than the Samsung Tablet amazingly.

Again thanks to those who took time to respond.

just an add on why not buy the nOTE.. Smaller screen 5" but then you have phone and everything in a smaller to carry profile

too late - I bought the Samsung Tablet already. I thought about a smaller phone, or a 10 inch tab, but in the end it was a compromise, so plumped for a 7 inch due to portability. I wont be making many calls anyway, and ironically I'll be using an old Nokia N95 which has a better camera than the Samsung Tablet amazingly.

Again thanks to those who took time to respond.

How do you like the 7inch tablet?

Your not giving him much time to like/dislike. wai.gif

I just installed cloud print on granddaughters and was much easier to use than I expected and working first try (and that is unusual for me and computers). Had to learn how to get/use keyboard and find that use menu to get options on browser (after looking all over the browser for a hot spot). Actually think I might be able to adapt.

Decided to check map GPS while in my hands today and find I was either wrong or it was a bad day last year when I did not get a good location; as today getting exact location (on road outside house) and almost instant direction response when moving tab. I now am impressed. Perhaps it is an improvement in Google maps?

Thanks for the print info loburi

I wondered about that cloud print.

Tried one from Android Market called printer Share I think

printed a test page to my network printer fine. But it is $13 bucks or something to unlock.

So thought I may try the google one first

Glad to hear to works well

Edited by flying

EDIT: After trying it further it does seem to need a data connection for directions etc.

You are using an online navigation program.

Road Navigation

Sygic, I can assure you it works offline perfectly without any data connection whatsoever.

Hiking

OruxMaps, you can download the area map online, I prefer Google Terrain, and save for offline use.

Edited by ludditeman

You are using an online navigation program.

Road Navigation

Sygic, I can assure you it works offline perfectly without any data connection whatsoever.

Hiking

OruxMaps, you can download the area map online, I prefer Google Terrain, and save for offline use.

Hi Yes thanks

I figured that out & see the problem is the maps are not actually on-board but online for the included

programs.

As you say if the maps are downloaded/stored on tab no problem then just using satellites