Sat Nav

Jebhead

I'm after a good sat nav for my car, can anyone recommend a good make and model number that they have been happy with. How accurate are they for driving in LOS? How does it get on with translations / spellings from Thai to English?

Thanks

JH

My portable is a TomTom GO630, works brilliantly and is very accurate, can't the same for the Garmin Mobile PC installed on my carpc but not sure how this reflects on portable Garmin units though.

Thanks for the reply, was that bought here in LOS or taking over from Europe / America / Farangland?

JH

I am looking for a stereo head unit with GPS capability that uses Garmin maps. I see on-line that Kenwood has teamed up with Garmin, but other than this I know nothing.

Either double DIN or the flip out screen type will work as this is a custom installation

My local high end shop in CM has no idea

Anyone familiar with one of these units?

I am looking for a stereo head unit with GPS capability that uses Garmin maps. I see on-line that Kenwood has teamed up with Garmin, but other than this I know nothing.

Either double DIN or the flip out screen type will work as this is a custom installation

My local high end shop in CM has no idea

Anyone familiar with one of these units?

have a look at this thread

i think you will find what you are looking for:

I'm a fan of the Garmins.. Maps are updated about every 6 months, Junction-views are updated every 3-6 months, and there's monthly POI updates (covering everything from NGV stations and 7/11's to massage parlours and pet shops). They can also do Thai + English simultaneously (i.e. you can have both languages on-screen at the same time, and elect to type in either one).

MBK is the place to buy.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

I'm a fan of the Garmins.. Maps are updated about every 6 months, Junction-views are updated every 3-6 months, and there's monthly POI updates (covering everything from NGV stations and 7/11's to massage parlours and pet shops). They can also do Thai + English simultaneously (i.e. you can have both languages on-screen at the same time, and elect to type in either one).

MBK is the place to buy.

What model would you recommend? what's the price, approx?

Thanks

JH

I think it’s all about the map. If you buy a new Garmin, in Thailand it will have the same map. More expensive units have more features and bigger screens, but I think the GPS part is all the same across all recent models. The models change frequently, but the cheapest will work just as well as the most expensive, they just will not have all the features. I like a big screen, and I like Garmin. Were I to buy a new unit today, I would buy a the newest model Garmin, with the biggest screen. Were I on a budget, I would buy the cheapest new Garmin. I would not buy used.

MBK is the place to buy.

What model would you recommend? what's the price, approx?

Thanks

JH

JH if I remember correctly you have easy access to Pattaya? (sorry if wrong). I found the best selection of Garmin models at the S-Ed book shops - Tukcom, Lotus, Big C on Pattaya Klang etc. There is one girl at the Tukcom branch who seems quite clued up on the differences between the different models and very helpful.

Prices for most models between 8,700 and 15k from memory. They did have a cheaper model but i think that has sold out.

MBK is the place to buy.

I thought that too, but when i went there a few weeks ago with Sat Nav purchase in mind, all i could find was mobile phone outlets by the thousand! Would you have shop in mind you could direct me to?

Try calling this number - this is where i bought my last Garmin from: 080 627 5231

MBK is the place to buy.

I thought that too, but when i went there a few weeks ago with Sat Nav purchase in mind, all i could find was mobile phone outlets by the thousand! Would you have shop in mind you could direct me to?

Try calling this number - this is where i bought my last Garmin from: 080 627 5231

Cheers very much. English or Thai speaking?

MBK is the place to buy.

Cheers very much. English or Thai speaking?

Don't remember - It's hard for me to tell the difference these days :( But that's just because I tend to speak in hybrid, LOL :)

Pretty sure they'd be able to speak at least basic English though. The units they sell appear to be ex-Taiwan, and they obviously know a thing or three about their inner-workings, and have good connections for updates etc ;)