Flashband Roofing Tape Source

Hi there

I need to fix hairline cracks over a large area and am favouring the excellent Evo-Stik Flashband which I have used many times in the UK.

You know, the grey aluminium tape/bitumastic backed self adhesive stuff. Brilliant and easy and takes up movement.

I'm wondering if anyone's seen this or an equivalent in Thailand.

Where?

If not how would an intelligent man get it from a British supplier here to Thailand reasonably fast so work can be done before rainy season.......and what might the carriage be for up to 40 or 50 3 inch x 10 metre rolls and a couple gallons of bitumastic primer and gallon of thick bitumastic. In other words a bit of weight maybe 20 or 30 kg. And how long might it take?

Thanks!

ps:just had a good thought....

Even if the flashband itself is not available here, maybe thick or thin bitumastic tar is.

It's a very useful material. Anyone seen it, that would save most of the weight of carriage?

Edited by cheeryble

Not seen it here, how about a maily to the manufacturer (Bostik) in the UK, they may have overseas distributors.

30kg air freight is going to cost 250-300 Quid using Parcelforce International http://www.parcelforce.com/ , you may have problems air freighting the bitumen products being flammable / hazardous.

Surface freight will be a lot cheaper and, of course, a lot slower, but fewer issues with the flammable materials.

Good point about flammability Crossy that thought alone could save a lot of wasted hassle.

I have now been told they have bitumastic available here so think it would be possible to buy or make up the primer using the thick stuff and solvent.

My guess is "tape" would stand a good chance to make it onboard.

As for yr estimate, I called a friend who's a cargo agent and he mentioned something like 200 GBP so you're about right.

Thanks v much and good idea i shall ask Bostik about eastern suppliers......

Any info anyone about supply of bitumastic in CM gratefully received....

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Back again

I wrote Bostik in UK and received a reply from Kuala Lumpur saying they were the suppliers around these parts.

How would a clever man import a box full of rolls of flashband, maybe 20 or 30 rolls of 10m x 75mm from KL to Changmai?

ps: they don't bother selling the primer but I can make that up myself i reckon.

Cheeryble

I think I have seen & bought the stuff you are talking about, Sika Brand, made in Switzerland, my local (35km away) stock it. Not cheap, the length of the rolls I forget, but the width was about 10cm (3 inch) and they also had it about 25-30cm wide rolls.

Top left pic, "Sealing Strip" is what I think I bought. Mine was black colour.

http://tha.sika.com/en/solutions_products/02/02a008.html

How do I describe it ????... About 3mm thick, black rubbery stuff, very strong, it was a bitch to cut, defiantly will not tare, wifie was not impressed in destroying her sewing sciccors by the "builder", it was a very soft though, plyible rubber, one side had this dam_n strong adhesive, that you pulled the protected layer apart to expose it, when you put it on, there is no moving it, 'it ain't going no where fast', it is paintible.

If you can wait, I will be back in that shop within a week for sure, dam_n, I was there this morning. I can take a pic for you and note cost. Sika products are very high quality, hence, not used much in Thailand construction. violin.gif

I don't now if HomePro stock this, but the do stock some Sika products, I have bought the sika version of liquid nails which is amazing stuff and silicon type of stuff there called sikaflex, there are several types of the later product as well, approx 350b a tube. If you are in CM, HomePro may be able to order it for you. I have not noticed Sika products in Global.

Click on either pic for more details, maybe somting there to interest you, I dunno.

http://tha.sika.com/en/solutions_products/02/02a011.html

Have a nice day....you've given me a nice day.

The product called MultiSeal looks like the same as Flashband.

The bitumen base is very simple and old fashioned but excellent. The hotter it gets the better it sticks.

http://th01.webdms.sika.com/fileshow.do?documentID=113

thanks so much.

If you go to your store could you check the price?

Cheeryble

I will be in there this week for sure. I completely forget how much, it was just one of those things we needed, and was a non decision. Sika call it Matt Grey, looking at some now, I would almost call it a off colour black. Not that it matters.

Note there is also a locally produced product very similar. It was almost the same price, the chap in the shop said they we not continuing to stock it when they sell out due to it is no good. If they still have any of that in stock I will grab a pic of that one to FYI to avoid. I will PM you later in the week to wake you up with the prices.