Gecko'S

oldsailor35

Despite the lighthearted responses, and assuming you mean the small jinjok geckos, you're really not going to keep the little chaps out. They don't make that much mess unless you have millions. If you do have millions you need to remove their food source (mostly mozzies and small insects) and they will move on.

If you have the big tukgae (sp.) beasties you do need to remove them, carefully, they bite. Once again removing the food supply (bigger bugs) will discourage them from returning.

Check windows and doors and mossie screens for gaps - repair or replace where necessary. Keep all shut from dusk til dawn. As Crossy said they're only attracted by the food supply you are allowing access, not your sparkling company.

A Cat. drunk.gif

Cats cannot walk on ceilings, and i don't like them any more either

Actually, they can be quite beneficial to your surroundings.

They're no harm, unlike other 4-legged vermin.

Yours might be ok, but mine shit everywhere !

Despite the lighthearted responses, and assuming you mean the small jinjok geckos, you're really not going to keep the little chaps out. They don't make that much mess unless you have millions. If you do have millions you need to remove their food source (mostly mozzies and small insects) and they will move on.

If you have the big tukgae (sp.) beasties you do need to remove them, carefully, they bite. Once again removing the food supply (bigger bugs) will discourage them from returning.

Yes mate, i do have a big Tukgae outside and he is no problem. I do get a lot of small insects in the kitchen, but thats because the fly screens are not very efficient and the owner of my bungalow says " screens ok " Looks like i will have to live with them, but they do make a mess and nothing can be left uncovered or else it gets shit on.

Check windows and doors and mossie screens for gaps - repair or replace where necessary. Keep all shut from dusk til dawn. As Crossy said they're only attracted by the food supply you are allowing access, not your sparkling company.

I know all about that ! but i only rent this place, so why should i supply new screens for a 'tight ass" landlord. I was just hoping there could be some chem solution.

.....and nothing can be left uncovered or else it gets shit on.

Of course nothing can be left uncovered. You're in the sub-tropics fer christ's sake...!

If it wasn't jinjok poop, it would be flies or ants, take your pick.

That's what fridges are for!

edit: Your landlord doesn't live there, you do. How important it is to get the problem resolved is 'up to you'. A local metal fabricator or similar could make new screens for your doors/windows at a fraction of the price for new.

But that's your call. Put up with it for free or pay for peace of mind. It won't stop the ants though.

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 2

Of course nothing can be left uncovered. You're in the sub-tropics fer christ's sake...!

edit: Your landlord doesn't live there, you do. How important it is to get the problem resolved is 'up to you'. A local metal fabricator or similar could make new screens for your doors/windows at a fraction of the price for new.

But that's your call. Put up with it for free or pay for peace of mind. It won't stop the ants though.

Replacing/repairing the screens would not cost a fortune either - at least in the kitchen area. Insecticide spray will definitely keep the ants at bay (of course you will have to do it regularly for sometime to eradicate the problem).

Ever tried the Electronic pest controls available at HomePro? Could anyone recommend this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_pest_control

A Cat. drunk.gif

Cats cannot walk on ceilings, and i don't like them any more either

Try Super-Glue on the cats' feet ? Or perhaps stilts ? rolleyes.gif

Rather than replacing the screens, I've used sticky-tape on both sides of the mesh, to make an inexpensive-repair to the holes where the mossies enter. Doesn't look great, but then that just gives the lord-of-the-land an incentive to replace them at his own cost !

Where is that Scotsman-smilie, when I need it ?! laugh.png

A post with name calling and profanities removed, along with responses to it.

Let's keep it civil chaps.

Back on topic. OS are you sure you are seeing gecko poop? They usually leave little turds stuck to the wall, a pain to clean but not a hazard to your crockery. If you're finding droppings on flat surfaces it could be mice or (if they're bigger) rats :(

A post with name calling and profanities removed, along with responses to it.

Let's keep it civil chaps.

Back on topic. OS are you sure you are seeing gecko poop? They usually leave little turds stuck to the wall, a pain to clean but not a hazard to your crockery. If you're finding droppings on flat surfaces it could be mice or (if they're bigger) rats sad.png

My apologies Crossy, but you must appreciate the frustration caused by smart-assed replies which are only generated to belittle others. I can expect an Englishman to be slightly pedantic about snakes etc., but as i said, in Queensland we live with 8 of the worlds 10 most deadly snakes, so not easily phased with snakes. And Queensland is a sub- tropical climate.

Fridges are not for storing pots, pans, cups etc

Depends on where you live Crossy, where I am I have quite a few of the large Toktaws - they don't go in the kitchen, they mainly stay outside, but these things can take care of a heck of a lot of pests!

Some of ours are pretty large - I am talking more than the length of my forearm - they don't come near me and I don't go near them - but I have seen one of these things eat one of those Jakep (the poisonous centipedes) like a piece of spaghetti - and the ceintipede was more than 8 inches long.

The little Jingjooks like you say will generally only go into the kitchen if there are insects and their shit can be a problem - (not as much as the toktaw - looks like a huge cat shit).

Best thing I have found is to make sure you have no little insects flying around inside your house, then at night, make sure you have a bright outside light and make sure you switch it on first - you can watch the action - they are fascinating things - I wouldn't be without them.

I have one Toktaw that is about 18" long - it has been around here for ages - it comes into my room where I have the computer - it watches me, I watch it - neither of has a problem, and it has never shit here once.

Keeping jingkos at bay is akin to to attempting the same with ants.

They just are.

Eaxactly - you simply cannot - I had them completely ruin a printer I had - they laid eggs in the mechanism, and once they are hatched - they are smaller than your little finger and can easily get under the smallest crack under any door - cut off the food supply is you only hope, we have three cars that hang around here, but they will never sort these little guys out, they are far too quick.

Fridges are not for storing pots, pans, cups etc

But cabinets are. wink.png

I like them around the house as they keep all the mozzies down and spiders rarely get a chance to grow beyond the baby stage. I have seen a local control their numbers by getting one of those sticky glue rat traps and placing some old sausage or a cockroach in the middle. The next morning the trap had 5 or 6 Gecko's on it. Just sweep up the shit and put the pans in a small cupboard. They sell steel cupboards with glass doors everywhere dead cheap.

My apologies Crossy, but you must appreciate the frustration caused by smart-assed replies which are only generated to belittle others. I can expect an Englishman to be slightly pedantic about snakes etc., but as i said, in Queensland we live with 8 of the worlds 10 most deadly snakes, so not easily phased with snakes. And Queensland is a sub- tropical climate.

This is my last reply to this repetetive topic. Along with others, I have posted that the solution lies in renewing the damaged screens. You have dismissed these comments on the grounds of cost or it being the landlord's responsibility. Fair enough. My light-hearted comment that you keep items subject to fouling under cover (I though you were referring to food which was why I wrote 'fridge', as you hadn't made it clear) you dismissed as smart-assed when it was meant in good faith. Had I known you were so touchy I wouldn't even have bothered replying. You appear to have taken a severe dislike to my posts in particular where others have expressed similar sentiments. My comment about 'snakes and spiders' was a bloody JOKE for heaven's sake! You could have guessed that by the use of a smiley. rolleyes.gif I wasn't trying to belittle you but if you took it that way then I'm sorry but please lighten-up and stop with the personal attacks.

FYI I am not English, but British, not that that has anything to do with matter. My advice was predicated on the time I have spent in Thailand, not the UK. Please don't drag nationality into the argument. Regarding your deleted posts, I haven't used any abuse towards you and don't appreciate being sworn at.

Thank you.

subtropic.....yes you are leading us to the solution.....

Cool down the room to 15 degree I am sure they can't handle it and their food can't also.

To get rid of the small lizards ... get a big one !

We locked a big gecko in our bedroom for two weeks when we went abroad, he probably got in a day when we left a window open. When we came back he was waiting for us right in front of the door, just above the window. We got a little bit of trouble to get him out of the house (they bite and they have small but sharp teeth !) but the bedroom was totally free of insects, spiders and small lizards.

This is my last reply to this repetetive topic. Along with others, I have posted that the solution lies in renewing the damaged screens. You have dismissed these comments on the grounds of cost or it being the landlord's responsibility. Fair enough. My light-hearted comment that you keep items subject to fouling under cover (I though you were referring to food which was why I wrote 'fridge', as you hadn't made it clear) you dismissed as smart-assed when it was meant in good faith. Had I known you were so touchy I wouldn't even have bothered replying. You appear to have taken a severe dislike to my posts in particular where others have expressed similar sentiments. My comment about 'snakes and spiders' was a bloody JOKE for heaven's sake! You could have guessed that by the use of a smiley. rolleyes.gif I wasn't trying to belittle you but if you took it that way then I'm sorry but please lighten-up and stop with the personal attacks.

FYI I am not English, but British, not that that has anything to do with matter. My advice was predicated on the time I have spent in Thailand, not the UK. Please don't drag nationality into the argument. Regarding your deleted posts, I haven't used any abuse towards you and don't appreciate being sworn at.

Thank you.

Please accept my apologies, i probably misread you ! And yes i do get a bit "touchy" at times as there really are some stupid idiots in here, with nothing better to do but 'take the piss' and i do not easily tolerate persons i perceive to be stupid.

Once again Simon sorry !

• 5 months later...

I don't like large geckos in my house. Even though they eat insects (though not ants), their obvious drawback is the poop. Here's how I deal with them:

>>>> I keep a few 'gecko sticks' (wood dowels, 3' long) around the house. About half the time, they're effective, if accurately used. direct head shots will kill them. Body shots might paralize them. Anything else, won't immobilize them.

>>> bits of rat poison put in places where kids or pets can't get (though I don't have either in my house). One drawback with poison, is if you can't find the dead animal, you will likely smell it. That's the problem I'm having at this moment.